R+L=J v. 107

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Okay guys, is this normal that eveytime I saw that pic I think of an older Jon ? http://www.romania-insider.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Dracula-Untold-Luke-Evans-as-Dracula.jpg

Like really, the Targaryen armor ! Like his dad !

YES! Was just telling my husband the same thing last night. He said I had GOT on the brain.

Okay guys, is this normal that eveytime I saw that pic I think of an older Jon ? http://www.romania-insider.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Dracula-Untold-Luke-Evans-as-Dracula.jpg

Too bad the dragon on the armor in the picture only has one head and not three--if it had three heads, I would think it was intentional on the part of the movie. Jon as Dracula--now that is a thought.

I thought the same thing...minus the three heads.

Too bad the dragon on the armor in the picture only has one head and not three--if it had three heads, I would think it was intentional on the part of the movie. Jon as Dracula--now that is a thought.

Hush ! Some people are going to think that it is a clue to the "Jon is going to be the new Night King" theory.

The fever thread. See my signature for links pertaining to the tower of joy dialog.

I spent most of the thread in a fever, and reading Fevre Dream (I enjoyed it, someone named Marsh may well be the main character)...

In Jon's case; the other two heads are introspective, hence they are not portrayed on the armor.

If Jon was born in Dorne, to a father from the Crownlands, and lived in the North, would his name be Sand, Waters or Snow?

My understanding is Snow. Clearly not Waters, as Robert's children don't get Waters. But in those cases they likely were born in the same place they were raised, so the rule might not be 100% clear. But my understanding is that where the person lived while being "raised" is the what the name is based upon (assuming at least one "noble" parent).

My understanding is Snow. Clearly not Waters, as Robert's children don't get Waters. But in those cases they likely were born in the same place they were raised, so the rule might not be 100% clear. But my understanding is that where the person lived while being "raised" is the what the name is based upon (assuming at least one "noble" parent).

That's what I was thinking and I also agree that I don't think the rules are necessarily set in stone.

I think Lharys was referring to Jon (whose father was from Crownlands, was born in Dorne and was raised in the North)--assuming it had been known from the beginning that Rhaegar was his father.

Yes this would be assuming everyone had known R+L=J from the start. It's more a question of bastardy in general with using Jon as an example.

Well, it's Brynden Rivers, isn't it? :)

Yes, but is that because he was "born" there or because he was "raised" there? Usually they are the same place, but for Jon they are not, so the question becomes Sand vs. Snow (Waters is not really an option, IMHO). I think it is where the person lives while being raised, but I am not sure I have definitive proof of this conclusion. So I think Snow is the answer, but I have seen arguments for Sand.

On second thought, maybe Jon is the proof. No one seems to even ask where he was born. So I don't think the location of birth matters. We know that location of noble parent is not the answer or it would not be Edric Storm or Bryden Rivers. So it must be location of where raised--I think.

Yes, but is that because he was "born" there or because he was "raised" there? Usually they are the same place, but for Jon they are not, so the question becomes Sand vs. Snow (Waters is not really an option, IMHO). I think it is where the person lives while being raised, but I am not sure I have definitive proof of this conclusion. So I think Snow is the answer, but I have seen arguments for Sand.

On second thought, maybe Jon is the proof. No one seems to even ask where he was born. So I don't think the location of birth matters. We know that location of noble parent is not the answer or it would not be Edric Storm or Bryden Rivers. So it must be location of where raised--I think.

Everyone knows Jon wasn't born in the North regardless of R+L=J so it must be where they're raised/live to start their life. That is to say if we are ruling out taking the last name based on where the father's House is located. But I guess with Mya Stone and Brynden Rivers, that can be ruled out.

Brynden was trained in arms at the Red Keep, I seem to recall. If you are named for where you are raised, that would mean that both Brybden and Aegor lived in the Riverlands the first few years of their lives.

This hypothesis seems to kind of be confirmed by Edric Storm, whose father came from the Crownlands, mother from the Reach (Flowers), and was raised in the Stormlands (Storm).

Everyone knows Jon wasn't born in the North regardless of R+L=J so it must be where they're raised/live to start their life. That is to say if we are ruling out taking the last name based on where the father's House is located. But I guess with Mya Stone and Brynden Rivers, that can be ruled out.

I agree with this. We even have an explanation in the show, as well:

Jon Snow: What's my name?

Samwell Tarly: Jon Snow.

Jon Snow: And why is my surname Snow?

Samwell Tarly: Because... you're a bastard from the North.

It just says 'from the North', there's nothing at all specifying that he has to be born there, it just says 'from there'. So, it would make sense if you are born in Dorne but raised in the North your entire life, you would be a Snow and not a Sand.

Archived