Demons

Equilibrium

What is the deal with them, they are constantly referenced in the area of Smoking Sea and elsewhere but are they real and what are they. I toyed with two explanations.

First is that they are really demons in classic sense and they represent some kind of Fire Others, like rised by R'hllor are some fire equivalent of wights demons are fire equivalent of Others.

Second is the one I like more and. Demons are in fact humans wearing masks so they can breathe in all the smoke and ash and what not, people form Asshai wear masks and they live near something called Shadow which can be region similar to that of the doomed Valyria. So current inhabitants of the Smoking Sea area wear demonic visage masks. I like to think they could be some remnants of Valyrians because I can recall real world culture with whose warriors wore demon masks and had super sharp swords :) Also some Valyrian survivors from Valyria proper with some unusual skills and powers and with their own agenda are my dream for the series.

So what do you think, not just about my theories but about demons?

Third: mutations caused by the Doom of Valyria. It's just so damn post-apocalyptic all around Valyria, they would fit right in. And of course a bit of radioactivity doesn't hurt.

Yeah I though about that too, even nuclear fission created by splitting the atoms with magic came to mind but I think it can be tad outlandish

I think Bran in his super broadband tree will be able to shed light on this. I'm expecting him to have a glance at the 'Doom' of Valyria or at least the events leading up to it.

Complete speculation: The Valyrians were 'onto something'. Incredibly powerful magic that became unstable. A sword without a hilt. One can imagine that the same fate will befall the North and the Wall with Mel practicing her magic there. TCotF will most likely use BR to show Bran what happens to empires that turn to such dark magic and how the use of it begats strange and other worldy beings not meant for the realms of men.

Kinda like the myth of ouija boards bringing forth unknown entities that torment the living.

I don't think modern science should be applied at all.

Third: mutations caused by the Doom of Valyria. It's just so damn post-apocalyptic all around Valyria, they would fit right in. And of course a bit of radioactivity doesn't hurt.

Also, mutated Valyrians are still Valyrians, that could be the reason for the masks, disfigurement not toxic vapors.

I think Bran in his super broadband tree will be able to shed light on this. I'm expecting him to have a glance at the 'Doom' of Valyria or at least the events leading up to it.

Complete speculation: The Valyrians were 'onto something'. Incredibly powerful magic that became unstable. A sword without a hilt. One can imagine that the same fate will befall the North and the Wall with Mel practicing her magic there. TCotF will most likely use BR to show Bran what happens to empires that turn to such dark magic and how the use of it begats strange and other worldy beings not meant for the realms of men.

Kinda like the myth of ouija boards bringing forth unknown entities that torment the living.

I don't think modern science should be applied at all.

Yeah I'm with you on the Bran thing.

I don't know about the rest, some entities from the like other world or underworld or something are out of question in my book.

Is still prefer masked Valyrian survivors because of the parallels with Asshai masked people and nod to samurai.

Or the other possibility is that it is just sailor tales.

Yeah as I said, real demons in like supernatural and from underworld are not likely but there has to be something for them to base myths around it's not like it was isolated mention

Just had great idea, and my new favorite explanation for everything supernatural.

Powerful sorcerers transformed themselves to beings of fire so they can survive volcanic eruption same as ancient powerful sorcerers transformed themselves to beings of ice so they can survive ice/cold apocalypse that is very dire and long winter. That is why it's mentioned do Others come with winter of winter comes with Others, answer is the former, Others exist because of winter.

Yeah I though about that too, even nuclear fission created by splitting the atoms with magic came to mind but I think it can be tad outlandish

The entire doom is just so damn post-apocalyptic. Even the rise of the Dothraki (and the Dothraki themselves) is basically straight out of Mad Max 2 or maybe Fallout.

The entire doom is just so damn post-apocalyptic. Even the rise of the Dothraki (and the Dothraki themselves) is basically straight out of Mad Max 2 or maybe Fallout.

Atmosphere is right. But I am inclined to exclude radiation from the explanation, there are other ways for the apocalypse. Magic is fantasy nuclear physics anyway.

Funny you mentioned Fallout, I was kinda comparing my proposed Valyrians with Enclave in my head.

"Monsters" are the citizens of Mantarys. They are Valyrians too and have deformed bodies, like some of the Targaryens.

"Demons" are probably the sound of molten rock, gaysers and all that volcanic stuff.

I think the Shadow Men wears masks because it's a part of their culture, given that they are of the Shadow, and one of Dany's bloodrider said Quaithe won't show her face to the Sun because she's a spawn of shadow.

"Monsters" are the citizens of Mantarys. They are Valyrians too and have deformed bodies, like some of the Targaryens.

"Demons" are probably the sound of molten rock, gaysers and all that volcanic stuff.

I think the Shadow Men wears masks because it's a part of their culture, given that they are of the Shadow, and one of Dany's bloodrider said Quaithe won't show her face to the Sun because she's a spawn of shadow.

It's still possible they have the real reason for wearing masks and so do the survivors around Smoking Sea, we won't know for certain until someone takes us to Smoking Sea or Asshai.

• 5 months later...

The demons also live in the Shadow by Asshai. Bran's vision of the heart of winter is preceded by a vision of dragons and demons in the Shadow. During the Doom, it reigned dragonglass and the "black blood of demons." Melissandre bleeds black blood when the "fire is in her" as she sees visions at the wall in ADWD. Sounds like someone is transforming into a fire being - a demon?

The demons also live in the Shadow by Asshai. Bran's vision of the heart of winter is preceded by a vision of dragons and demons in the Shadow. During the Doom, it reigned dragonglass and the "black blood of demons." Melissandre bleeds black blood when the "fire is in her" as she sees visions at the wall in ADWD. Sounds like someone is transforming into a fire being - a demon?

So you are in Fire Others team? Admit it you are only there because this trend of balancing the sides means we get ice dragon...

Demons = Aliens

Westeros is not alone people. There are probably a ton of crop circles in The Reach, anal probing, the works. This is serious shit. Dragons are not of this world. Dany is an alien/human mutation and the government is trying to cover it all up.

Archived