Why didn´t Rhaegar married Ashara ?

shardofNarsil

That's 270 years in the past, Maegor had 16 wives and executed some of them. Top tier brides were a bit scarce...

LOL, yeah. You have a point.

These are the same Hightowers that preside over one of if not the biggest city in the continent, not particularly comprable to he Daynes

True, as I have said earlier... But, Daynes, perhaps like Westerlings now, enjoy some prestige due to House being one of the oldest in Westeros.

I have noticed in many threads that a lot aussume that only Great Houses marry other Great Houses and that royalty only marry daughters of Great Houses but we have enough examples to show that is not the case.

Often there would not be even a suitable candidate at that particular time.

Aerys may have had his own ideas abou his son not "marrying the help" but that is not always the case.

Even if you simply talk about the Heir needing a suitable bride of suitable status it does not mean that he has to wait until an equal status girl is available.

But we readers still see a potential conspiracy in the Great Houses intermarrying with the Great Southern Conspiracy.

The Great Lords have married many different Houses both high and low but mainly within their own domains.

And the royal heirs who had no sister to marry married a varied assortment women of varied status (of the ones who we know about)

Westerling, Harroway, Baratheon, Velayrons, Hightower, Martells and low born "Oldstones".

There is no reason why Rhaegar cold not marry Ashara Dayne but as with any given time it depends on the situation at that time. Aerys seems to have his own ideas of who the next queen should be or at least what blood she should have but that is only one king in one particular era.

If Aerys had been of a different disposition Rhaegar could have ended up married to Cersei or even to Barbrey Ryswell.

As with inheritance there are no set rules but what the current powers that be want.

I'm guessing that it's because the Daynes are neither as powerful nor as prestigious as the Martells. Plus, the Martells have Targaryen blood, which might've been important for Aerys.

Speaking of which, do we know what kind of bride Steffon was searching for in Essos? Did the Targaryens of the time suspect the existence of female Blackfyres?

Steffon was looking for a girl of Valyrian blood, preferably Targaryen blood. There are enough Targs we know nothing about to justify searching Essos for them. Tywin was also sent to Lys to look for a bride for Rhaegar.

True, but we also have Westerling that married with Targaryens...

Hmmm, i believe it was more than 200 years ago, and during those times, House Westerling seems to be very powerful and rich, probably one of the most powerful and richest in the Westerlands.. We know hat the Westerlings are among the most ancient families in Westeros and they do hold great prestige.. Westerlings have intermarried with the Lannisters when they were Kings of the Rock.. Lady Johanna Westerling was the wife and widow of Lord Jason Lannister and ruled Casterly Rock upon her husband's death.. Harrold Westerling also served as the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard during the reign of Viserys I.. The Westerlings may be dirt poor nowadays but a few hundred years ago, they were a force to reckon with..

We know that when Aerys II was looking for a bride for his heir, rank really mattered to him.. When Steffon Baratheon went to Essos to find Rhaegar a bride of Valyrian descent, the problem is not there were none of them, the problem is that, none of them had the suitable rank to be named consort for a future Targaryen monarch..

If we would look back to see all former Targaryen consorts not of Targaryen blood to Targaryen kings and princes, we can find the names of both Great Houses and Vassal Houses such as Velaryon (3), Hightower (2), Martell (2), Baratheon (1), Arryn (1), Royce (1), Westerling (1) and Harroway (1).. The Redwynes were considered as an acceptable match possibly due mostly to their wealth and naval power..

The Velaryons have always been the go-to house for Targaryen when finding consorts.. After hundreds of years of inter-marriage, one can say that the Velaryons have much Targaryen blood in them as Targaryens have much Velaryon blood in them.. Aegon the Conqueror's mother herself was Velaena Velaryon..

Houses Baratheon, Arryn and Martell are all Great Houses with some having strong Targaryen ancestry..

House Hightower is a de-facto Great House in all but name.. They have the wealth, power, ancient bloodline and prestige to match.. House Royce, also another ancient house is again a very powerful family, probably second only after the Arryns in the Vale.. House Westerling was also back them among the most prestigious and wealthiest houses in the Westerlands, also boasting an ancient lineage..

The Harroways may be upstarts during the time when Alys Harroway became queen, but they ruled as Lords of Harrenhal, and every other family who have held the lordship of Harrenhal had been a force to reckon with like the Lothsons and Whents during their prime..

Considering all that, Rhaegar Targaryen marrying Ashara Dayne would have been considered as a misalliance.. The Daynes may have the antiquity, prestige but not the wealth and power.. They are also just mere vassals, which might have been overlooked if the house had sufficient power and wealth, which sadly the Daynes lack.. Ashara may be good enough to be a consort of a major lord, or a second son of a great lord or in the greatest of matches, a possible wife for a lord paramount, but sadly, she is too low in rank and her family, to weak for her to be even considered as a candidate to be queen..

Tywin Lannister for example wanted the highest ranking possible bride for his then heir Jaime, and chose Lysa Tully for the part.. For his second son who is also apparently deformed, he still went to other high ranking and prestigious houses such as the Martells, Tullys, Hightowers, Royces and Florents for possible matches while completely ruling out a marriage alliance with a Stokeworth.. And that was just Tywin, just think how Aerys II would think..

That's actually a really good question.

If we would look back to see all former Targaryen consorts not of Targaryen blood to Targaryen kings and princes

I think you should wait till the worldbook comes out and then do that count again.

Steffon was looking for a girl of Valyrian blood, preferably Targaryen blood. There are enough Targs we know nothing about to justify searching Essos for them. Tywin was also sent to Lys to look for a bride for Rhaegar.

Was he? I don't think so.

He was in Lys. It's in "Mercy". This should be under spoilers.

“Down in Lys, and Myr, and Old Volantis,” the other guard replied. He was an older man, big-bellied and grizzled. “I went to Lys with Lord Tywin once, when he was Hand to Aerys. Braavos is north of King’s Landing, fool. Can’t you read a bloody map?”

It doesn't say WHY he was there, though.

Well, politics aside, we learned from lady Dustin's memories that many lords are "ok" about parading their girls in front of Lords they want them married to. Tywin was kinda doing this with Cersei, by having her there, ready to be married and bedded as soon as Viserys hit puberty or Elia died. I suppose a lot of lords "introduced" casually their daughters to Rhaegar when he was still available. Considering Arthur was the Prince's best friend, and the Daynes didn't seem to be the ambitious type, they didn't need to do this: they were already in good terms with the crown and had their favour. Also, it's kinda awkward to do this when the Prince is best friends with one guy in the family.

I also think this makes a subtle parallel between Robert and Rhaegar. Robert wanted so bad to be part of Ned's family that he wanted to marry his sister, an illusion. Rhaegar and Arthur were friends and didn't need Ashara to solidify their friendship.

He was in Lys. It's in "Mercy". This should be under spoilers.

“Down in Lys, and Myr, and Old Volantis,” the other guard replied. He was an older man, big-bellied and grizzled. “I went to Lys with Lord Tywin once, when he was Hand to Aerys. Braavos is north of King’s Landing, fool. Can’t you read a bloody map?”

It doesn't say WHY he was there, though.

Yes I agree that it is unknown on what business Tywin was on when he visited Lys, he probably visited a few of the Free Cities on both Hand business and on Lannister business. It is a leap to assume that while in Lys that he was looking for consort for Rhaegar.

As we are discussing Rhaegar's prospectibe brides , one idea popped in my mind.The Evil Twins were born 266. Lyanna was born 267. Is it possible that Rickard proposed any match between Lyanna/Rhaegar?

Another evil thought keeps popping in my mind. Defiance of Duskendale and Aerys refusing Cersei happened too close for my peace of mind. Was it possible for Tywin as Hand to engineer that event?

Yes I agree that it is unknown on what business Tywin was on when he visited Lys, he probably visited a few of the Free Cities on both Hand business and on Lannister business. It is a leap to assume that while in Lys that he was looking for consort for Rhaegar.

Or maybe He was there to scuttle any possible matches for Rhaegar from happening.

As we are discussing Rhaegar's prospectibe brides , one idea popped in my mind.The Evil Twins were born 266. Lyanna was born 267. Is it possible that Rickard proposed any match between Lyanna/Rhaegar?

Another evil thought keeps popping in my mind. Defiance of Duskendale and Aerys refusing Cersei happened too close for my peace of mind. Was it possible for Tywin as Hand to engineer that event?

It is possible that Rickard did try to reach that high but I doubt it. There is nothing to support nor deny it.

On the Defiance, it could be possible that Tywin orchestrated it similar to the Red Wedding, leave it up to another to actually do the dirty work to rid him of an "enemy".

By hoping that the king would be killed and clear the way for him to propose directly to the new king Rhaegar for his daughter.

Of course this really is predicated on the Defiance happening before Rhaegar's marriage to Princess Elia.

After the marriage I suppose Tywin could still be hoping for a Cersei-Viserys match with king Rhaegar.

But I suppose it would be hard for Tywin to guarantee that Aerys himself would ride forth and confront Lord Darklyn himslef and put himself in direct danger.

Or maybe He was there to scuttle any possible matches for Rhaegar from happening.

This also crossed my mind....if Aerys had indeed sent Tywin to the Free Cities on that mission before Tywin offered up his own daughter it may be that Tywin did not look to hard.

And if it was after Aerys rejected Cersei then Aerys had one sick sense of humour to tease Tywin so...! :)

What else would he be doing there? Lys is known for having Valyrian-looking people and impressive bed slaves. It's also a place Aerion "Brightflame" Targaryen lived during his years of exile.

Unless Aerys wanted a Targ-looking whore for himself I see no other logical reason for Tywin to be in Lys on crown business than finding a girl for Rhaegar.

What else would he be doing there? Lys is known for having Valyrian-looking people and impressive bed slaves. It's also a place Aerion "Brightflame" Targaryen lived during his years of exile.

Unless Aerys wanted a Targ-looking whore for himself I see no other logical reason for Tywin to be in Lys on crown business than finding a girl for Rhaegar.

He sent the guy whose daughter he rejected as a bride to his son to find a bride for such son?

I think I fell in love with Aerys :lol:

Who said he was on "crown business"?

I am sure there are other reasons why powerful personages go to Lys besides their blonde hair!

Maybe that's why Prince Oberyn went to find a bride for Rhaegar!

Or Ser Jorah's visit to Lys was really to find a Targaryen consort?

Or Hizdahr always wanted a valyrian looking bride that's why he was in Lys.

Maybe Tywin was on personal business, he may have been just looking for some discrete fun away from the prying eyes of Westeros?

Maybe he was there to source some poison to get rid of an enemy?

Maybe he was there to hire a sellsail like Salladhor Saan?

Maybe Tywin was there to follow up on a clue about a sighting of his lost brother Gerion.

Maybe he was looking for a Varys of his own?

You see there are a myriad of reasons why the Lord Lannister was visiting Lys besides an unsubstantiated hunch of royal bride hunting.

Archived