Sympathy for Cersei?

morticia

Oh... Cersei...

The thing is that she often claims herself victim of a cruel oppressive society, when in fact, she lived way better than 99.999999999% of the women of Westeros, including both noble girls and common women. As a child she was definitely spoiled into being let to do as she pleased, to whoever she wanted.

Mostly of her "I was a mare sold to be mount!" attitude is just bitterness as the one mounting her is not the one she wanted. Because we've seen her daydreaming about how she was meant to marry Rhaegar, not Robert. That's what she's mad about, not just for have been sold away, it's that she was forced to some man she doesn't like, like mostly highborn ladies.

Then, we have her hypocrisy, which many people seem to forget. Her most militant defenders seem to have forgotten that it was her the one who tried to slut-shame Margaery, to the point of enjoying the idea of several people fingering her to verify her virginity, while accusing her of something she did herself: using her body not for pleasure but for gaining something in exchange. And when she was discovered, the word "misogyny" is often mentioned.

So, do I have sympathy for Cersei? A bit, during her walk.

But then, when it was over and she was all "I am going to kill them all!!!" and later subtly threatened Kevan's wife, any bit of sympathy fade away.

:thumbsup: as usual

I personally do not sympathize with Cersei and do not want to empathize with her at all. She killed innocent children (Robert's bastards and at least one of the mothers), keeps a whipping boy which is a disgusting practice, turns a blind eye to Sansa's abuse and torments her with death during Blackwater for no reason but to get even with the Starks, a horrible mother to her children, abused Tyrion when he was a baby by twisting his dick (that shows that she was messed up even before being married to Robert) and murders a girl when she was an adolescent. Cersei wasn't "turned" into anything she wasn't as evidenced by her childhood murder of Melara and her abuse of Tyrion. She didn't deserve the abuse she got but I don't think that she was "turned" into anything she wasn't already. She is a horrible person as she delights in causing pain and humiliation She's an entertaining character but honestly I don't feel much for her.

Abuse she got? She married a man who have her a crown, title but she hated him because he killed her true love, Rheagar, a man she was hoping to marry but he was destined to marry another and then lost it all for Lyana. This is also why she was so stung by "Lyana", Lyana was the one Rheagar apparently loved and desired and Cersei does not like playing second fiddle to her, Rheagar and Robert coveted Lyana over Cersei and she could not and cannot handle it. Cersei was not a victim of her marriage, she seemed to delight in all that it earned her and her bastards. Victim, she is not !!!!!!!!

Besides occasional rape and beating... Well of course she is not a victim... Bad people can't be victims. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't understand what her being a victim has to do with anything when it is clearly established that it has nothing to do with her behaviour.

Eh. I have sympathy for the little girl who didn't understand why she was treated so differently from her brother, but the older girl who abused her brother and killed her companion, the woman she became from there... No. Though tbh all three Lannister siblings are on my list of characters I wish I could have hidden far from Westeros as children.

Though she didn't deserve the specific punishment she got - if Cersei pays I want it to be for her real crimes, not being a sexually active widow - and she didn't deserve years of marital rape, no one does.

Eh. I have sympathy for the little girl who didn't understand why she was treated so differently from her brother, but the older girl who abused her brother and killed her companion, the woman she became from there... No. Though tbh all three Lannister siblings are on my list of characters I wish I could have hidden far from Westeros as children.

Though she didn't deserve the specific punishment she got - if Cersei pays I want it to be for her real crimes, not being a sexually active widow - and she didn't deserve years of marital rape, no one does.

I don't understand what her being a victim has to do with anything when it is clearly established that it has nothing to do with her behaviour.

Because people make this horrid justifications "she deserved it" when they speak of marital rape or abuse, solely on the basis that she is a horrible human being, thus negating that in some situations Cersei was indeed a victim, like it or not.

I don't understand why your all saying she was raped by Bobby Baratheon. she was his wife and he was clearly afraid of her. Early on she had to have sex with him because she needed to be able to pretend he was the father to her children. Then after that he had more then enough whores that he preferred to warm his bed the the always cold Cersei. Her POV's talked about Bobby "taking his marriage rite" when referring to sex, she did not ever ask him not to because she saw it as the price she had to pay to be Queen. I believe Bobby thought so much of himself the be probably thought she actually wanted him so he went out of his way to have sex with her even though he hated her and much preferred hookers. All Cersei had to do was communicate, something that she has a real problem with. She deserves absolutely no sympathy she framed an innocent girl out of jealousy, she was happy to see Bran tossed out a window instead of just communicating with him. She genuinely is a dillusional psychopath with dillusional of grandeur. Is she was sympathetic her character would be worthless, she brings an edge and a POV of someone we can root against and feel great about it. So not only was she never raped by her husband she grew up in a better situation then 100% of the girls born in westeros, if she had just learned a little bit from her little brother Tyrion about humility and communication she could of had the world in her palm.

Pretty much zero sympathy for Cersei, and I'm fine with that.

I don't understand why your all saying she was raped by Bobby Baratheon. she was his wife and he was clearly afraid of her. Early on she had to have sex with him because she needed to be able to pretend he was the father to her children. Then after that he had more then enough whores that he preferred to warm his bed the the always cold Cersei. Her POV's talked about Bobby "taking his marriage rite" when referring to sex, she did not ever ask him not to because she saw it as the price she had to pay to be Queen.

As much reason as we have to doubt her POV -- she is clearly delusional and drunk -- Drunk McBob was definitely a different man than sober McBob.

There was a sober McBob?

Correction there was a drunk McBob and a slightly tipsy McBob.

Pretty much zero sympathy for Cersei, and I'm fine with that.

As much reason as we have to doubt her POV -- she is clearly delusional and drunk -- Drunk McBob was definitely a different man than sober McBob.

Yeah, Jaime mentioned that Robert said things when he was drunk (like to euthanize Bran when he was in a coma which Joffrey heard and led to the Wo5K) that he didn't mean when he was sober and probably could barely remember it.

Does that give a pass to those that have wronged her like Robert's abuse or deplorable misogyny by HS?

Well, the HS thing is interesting. There's no doubt gender played a role in how her punishment was carried out, but that might be secondary to the fact that her class meant it wasn't much, much worse. So on balance, if she were caught/accused of doing what she had done and were in 99% of the populations shoes, she'd almost certainly have been tortured and killed without shaming walk or trial.

Even if the specific circumstances aren't confirmed, a person like Cersei didn't have a healthy, loving childhood.

She was born into the richest and most powerful family in Westeros. She was the 1% elite. And what does she do? Abuse her younger brother, abuse the servants and feeds her own ego. I sure that the sexism surrounding her and Jaime or her mother dying wasn't pleasant but it's a far cry from the peasants who wonder if they're going to starve to death this winter.

Archived