NFL 2014 Week 6 - Run, Percy! Run!

Littlefingers In The Air

Ross The Fiddler asked me in the last thread about why I wouldn't be particularly interested in knowing Peyton Manning, and I didn't respond because I didn't really have a decent answer. But now I do. The fact that he had his receivers plan and rehearse the keep-away game they played with him after the record-breaker. That's just fucking lame. That seems like the kind of shit I would not be at all surprised Peyton does very frequently.

And since there's a nice little Colts thing going on while I type this, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I'd say that I'd look at the game a lot like Tricksy, but I also kind of have to agree with Jace. I don't want to see Peyton lose anymore superbowls.

Just saw this. Very lame, indeed.

how on earth do you figure that?

Gumption, and the Head Coaches.

If you make Peyton Manning move slightly to his left, you win the football game. The Broncos rushing game is entirely dependent on a productive passing attack, and the passing attack crumbles if the defense breathes on Peyton. And if (Broncos) Peyton makes a mistake, it rarely gets better afterwards. I don't think I've seen this team do anything but fold under pressure, and that's on John Fox.

Meanwhile, if there's one team I'd take to scratch and claw out a win, it'd probably be the Colts. That's not even me just being a homer, they've proven they're mentally tough under Chuck Pagano. All the comebacks and close wins, and now the offense has healthy playmakers and the defense is playing as good as I've seen them since 2007.

ETA: I guess what I'm saying is that the Colts elevate their game in big moments, like when they MUST get a stop to keep the game alive, or score to get it close. While the Broncos just tread water when shit starts going against them.

Gumption, and the Head Coaches.

If you make Peyton Manning move slightly to his left, you win the football game. The Broncos rushing game is entirely dependent on a productive passing attack, and the passing attack crumbles if the defense breathes on Peyton. And if (Broncos) Peyton makes a mistake, it rarely gets better afterwards. I don't think I've seen this team do anything but fold under pressure, and that's on John Fox.

Meanwhile, if there's one team I'd take to scratch and claw out a win, it'd probably be the Colts. That's not even me just being a homer, they've proven they're mentally tough under Chuck Pagano. All the comebacks and close wins, and now the offense has healthy playmakers and the defense is playing as good as I've seen them since 2007.

ETA: I guess what I'm saying is that the Colts elevate their game in big moments, like when they MUST get a stop to keep the game alive, or score to get it close. While the Broncos just tread water when shit starts going against them.

I agree with you on the Colts fortitude.

As I said earlier, by virtue of their schedule, the Broncos will get plenty of opportunity to play against top teams/defenses where they will have to face adversity. Unless it costs them the homefield, the Broncos will benefit greatly from playing tough regular season games.

So despite that the broncos already beat the colts and the colts have two losses and barely escaped jj watt, while the only loss the broncos had came in ot after one of the most incredible comebacks ever, you think the colts are able to come back better. I guess those games against the jaguars and titans really test your gumption.

So despite that the broncos already beat the colts and the colts have two losses and barely escaped jj watt, while the only loss the broncos had came in ot after one of the most incredible comebacks ever, you think the colts are able to come back better. I guess those games against the jaguars and titans really test your gumption.

Fair enough, we'll see.

(And that comeback in a losing effort was not what I would call 'one of the most incredible comebacks ever')

You don't think a minute drive with no timeouts against a fairly good defense on the road where you get the td and the conversion wasn't one of the best comebacks ever? What the hell is better than that?

You don't think a minute drive with no timeouts against a fairly good defense on the road where you get the td and the conversion wasn't one of the best comebacks ever? What the hell is better than that?

Winning. Not being in that position.

The Broncos had the ball in Seattle territory with an opportunity to go up by 3 before Peyton threw the INT that made that conversion necessary and led to the overtime loss.

ETA: Texans just collapsing here at the end of the half. heeheehee

Gotcha jace - so all the times luck sucked early on and had to come back that was bad. Right.

Regardless of how he got there it was an incredible comeback. Just like it was when luck did it vs kc last year.

Gotcha jace - so all the times luck sucked early on and had to come back that was bad. Right.

Regardless of how he got there it was an incredible comeback. Just like it was when luck did it vs kc last year.

Well to be fair, it's not like he got buried 43-8 on the largest stage professional football has to offer or anything.

When I was trying to form a counter to your post:

I realized that if I described Colts comebacks in recent years to show their resolve, you'd counter by saying something along the lines of 'it was Luck's fault they were in those positions'. And since I couldn't think of a way to phrase a post without leaving me open to that response, I decided to just leave it at 'we'll see' because I do believe that the Colts are a tougher team physically and mentally, but I can't really prove it right now and I'm not going to spout bullshit at you.

That being said, the reason I wasn't particularly impressed by that Denver comeback vs Seattle is because I'm not particularly impressed with Seattle, and I honestly think Manning blew the game on that penultimate drive. It was a bit different from the situations where Luck's had a bad first half and bounced back (thank fucking christ he seems to be over that part of his life, btw.), because it was already what could have been the last drive of the game, and he could have won the game, not tie. It was Manning's fault that they had to go 80 yards in 60 seconds, and while it was one of the greatest drives I've ever seen from Manning, they still lost and it was still his fault.

I went to the game tonight with a couple friends. It was a lot of fun, especially the last minute and a half of the second quarter. Although it was pretty depressing to see the stadium so empty. I've been going to games since I was a kid, like 13 years, and it's hard to think of a game that had fewer people. It wasn't like the weather was bad or it was really cold.

I tend to agree that it was Manning's fault that they were down so late. It still doesn't take away how incredible that drive was. That's true in general; I don't tend to put a lot of weight on comebacks because usually the reason that you're having to do a comeback is because you sucked early on. If you could have just gone hurry up and played like that anyway, why didn't you fucking do that at the start of the game? Dumbasses.

But it was still an incredible comeback, and Manning and the Broncos are still the kind of team that you cannot count out unless you bury them. I'm not sure I believe the same thing of Luck and the Colts. We've already seen this year first hand evidence of how the Colts would play the Broncos and it didn't work out so well for them. Keep in mind that game was without Wes Welker as well; there's no reason to believe that the Broncos would be worse after that game.

Luck had a chance to comeback and didn't in that game too - they had the ball and about 3 minutes, and they failed.

The next week the Colts were ahead but could not stop the Eagles from coming back and winning. When Luck needed to he could not get a drive sustained. His interception was a big reason that they lost the game as well.

I will say that Luck looked very good against the Ravens. Hmm. Well, okay, he looked good, and they ended up being able to control the clock well. That's good. The two ints isn't so hot.

And the next week, Luck was responsible for both turnovers against Houston - one of which was returned for a TD. That's also not good. Heck, the Texans had a shot before the Colts D killed Fitzpatrick - but how sad is that?

I guess I've seen one meh game from Denver against Seattle at Seattle, and that went to overtime. I've seen the Colts lose to the two teams that are good - one of which is Denver, while beating up a heavily depleted Cinci team and barely holding out against the Texans. There's nothing that leads me to any reasonable conclusion that the Colts would do better against Denver the second time, and also nothing that makes me think that the Colts are better than Denver in any reasonable way.

I suppose I'm becoming disenchanted with Manning and I'm trying to distance myself from him (if that makes any damn sense). I've made all kinds of excuses, and most of them very valid, about all the playoff losses, but... I look at the Denver offense and I just feel like they'll check out when the going gets tough. Again, I can't really give you anything from this season to prove that, but that's how I feel.

As far as your points about Luck, they're perfectly valid, but I do have to mention that he's had rotten luck on tipped passes. Regardless, I'm enjoying this season.

By the way, you're a Bears fan, right? I haven't seen you mention them since like last year. Is your hard-on for Russell Wilson turning you into a full-time Seahawks fan? :P

This argument is win win for me. Either Colts or Manning wins.

In all seriousness, Denver has gotten much better in recent weeks. D. Thomas was in a funk for the first few weeks. He has just rounded into form. The same is true for Von Miller. Ware was on snap count earlier. Also Welker is back. Colts are getting better as well. But as of now, imo, the gap between Indy and Denver has widened. Also I suspect that if the Colts play the Broncos in the playoffs, it will be at Denver.

Seattle's recent woes have taken a bit of gloss out of that drive. But at the time, Seattle still had their defense playing at a very high level. And you also need to consider that the game was being played in Seattle.

I hate to admit this, but Denver looks head and shoulders above the rest of the AFC this year. Elway has done a great job loading them up for a title run. Just hope he hasn't been pulling the same salary cap shenanigans that the Broncos did during his championship years.

While the teams who look best six or seven weeks in are often not the top teams at the end of the year (Josh McDaniels' Broncos once looked pretty great at about the sixth or seventh week), I am already gearing myself up to root for the Cowboys in a Denver-Dallas Super Bowl.

I think the AFC is the Bronco's to lose. They have a really tough schedule and are still dominating. That Defense is scary, though they really blew it in Seattle. But with that being said, they obviously learned from that; did you see how often they had a QB spy on Kaep? They took his legs right out from him and made him throw some really bad passes.

The NFC is pretty open IMO. The Cowboys look good now, but December isn't here yet and they've started this hot before only to not make the playoffs. If Murray can stay healthy though, they'll be one of the strongest contenders. The Lions could have a shot with how great that D is. We all know that it's D's that win championships and theirs is VERY good. Also coming out right now is that Green Bay offense. Manning shmanning, Rodgers is playing the best football of his life right now, which took a few weeks to get revved up. They could be contenders as well. I think the SB goes to one of those 3 teams this year and haven't seen much else impress me after the last couple weeks.

Archived