Canadian Parliament on lockdown after deadly shooting

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/soldier-shot-near-canadas-parliament-shooter-at-large/ar-BBaBLKK

OTTAWA, Oct 22 (Reuters) - A gunman shot a soldier at the Canadian War Memorial in Ottawa and was then chased by police into the main parliament building, where at least 30 more shots were fired, according to media and eyewitness reports on Wednesday.

Parliament was locked down and Prime Minister Stephen Harper had left the building safely as police converged on the area.

Following the CNN news reports, there are possibly two shooters free and one dead. There is one soldier dead and one civilian believed dead.

Footage from the scene

Eta: Peter Henderson, a Canadian journalist, says one witness told him that he saw the gunmen put a rifle to a soldiers back and fire four shots. This witness says it seemed like the soldier was targeted.

Eta2: authorities are saying there was only one shooter.

That's been mentioned in the news coverage I'm watching. They mentioned something about the terror threat level being raise to medium. Is that right?

Yes. Apparently our security services had identified some chatter that was deemed a viable threat. Perhaps it had to do with what is now taking place. We have 90 people on a watch list, the now deceased guy in Quebec was one of them. Perhaps these three were on the list as well.

Yes. Apparently our security services had identified some chatter that was deemed a viable threat. Perhaps it had to do with what is now taking place. We have 90 people on a watch list, the now deceased guy in Quebec was one of them. Perhaps these three were on the list as well.

I suppose we'll be able to gather what's going on from identifying the dead gunmen and figuring out what happened. Why would radicals want to attack Canada, though? Separatist agenda to kill who they can manage to kill?

The guy in Quebec went on about Canada's role in confronting ISIL in Iraq. That seems to have been his motivation. Hard to say as of right now but I would not be surprised that such is the case for this attack as well. And yesterday is when our fighter jets headed to the gulf to join in the bombing campaign. It may be a coincidence but....

An MP has tweeted that the man killed was killed outside the NDP caucus room to keep the shooter out. He was killed they say by the sergeant at arms and the MP tweeted that they owe their life to the man.

No. There are two confirmed shooters, one is dead. The soldier shot at the War Memorial has not been declared dead, no matter how much NYT and WaPo seem to want him to be. Downtown on lockdown. Parliament cleared. Door to door searches for the second gunman.

Three shooting scenes:

War Memorial

Centre Block

Rideau Centre

I have friends all over the downtown core. Just, awful. I also spent half an hour thinking my sister was there only to find her office had moved.

Years ago there was a group of young men in the process of being radicalized who got together in the woods to train. The plan was to attack the Parliament buildings, capture PM Stephen Harper and behead him.

The government has been aware that our Parliament buildings have been a target for almost a decade now. The shooting at the War Memorial was easy, the honour guard are obviously just sitting ducks, standing on guard in honour of the dead. The idea that someone would shoot a soldier there is just disgusting.

But the fact the shooter, carrying a long gun of some kind, got into Parliament and into the Great Hall, right outside the rooms where on either side the entire government was meeting in caucus and on the other side the Opposition was meeting in caucus, without being stopped, suggests a level of gross incompetence that is beyond belief.

The toll: 2 dead, one soldier, one shooter.

2 injured: a Parliamentary guard, shot in the leg, maybe by the shooter, maybe by a ricochet off the stone walls in the hall, and, apparently, a bystander injured by a ricochet at the War Memorial.

The Police Chief is just now in a press conference asking for people to stay out of the downtown area, and has called for witnesses to the events to call in with their reports. No other new details.

Bilingual press conference with not a lot of concrete info as to who the shooter(s) might be.

Three shooting scenes:
War Memorial
Centre Block
Rideau Centre

I have friends all over the downtown core. Just, awful. I also spent half an hour thinking my sister was there only to find her office had moved.

Everybody I've heard from is in lockdown, although I think they've let up on Rideau Centre. Weirdly, it sounds like my sister was in a better security situation in Afghanistan when at least they had a bunker to hide in. The guy who went into the Centre Block practically had free range access at the beginning.

CBC just played a recording made by Josh Wingrove of the G&M inside the Centre Block.

Archived