What will be Stannis reaction if/when Danny arrives in Westeros?

Sothoryos_is_Africa!

Also, Stannis holds Dragonstone. Hell, it was Stannis who took Dragonstone from the Targaryens, the reason she had do be smuggled away. Homegirl will not be happy facing Stannis, for sure.

[ Dany: *angry dragon noises*
Stannis: girl I changed your diapers before taking your castle, shut up]

He means Stannis left the Wall to take Winterfell from Bolton. And he fought Mance Raydar not The Others.

Oh. Well, Stannis could hardly fight the Others using only the 1400-1500 soldiers he had before meeting the mountain clans. He would need a larger army, which he could gather only by conquering the North at that point.

Lets be fair here. Stannis cant face the Others when the Boltons are enemies at his back. Getting rid of the Boltons keeps Stannis from having to face enemies from both sides.

Or Stannis bends the knee so the living aren't dying fighting the living but, instead, they die fighting the death. We could say that the North won't have peace until the last of the Freys is buried on top of the last of the Boltons, but Stannis didn't know that when he went to the Mountain Clans.

Their claim is derived from the Targ blood, it's a new last name but the claim is still derived from descent from Aegon.

Changing the last name doesn't completely annul other claims - it just establishes the claim as the one currently in power as being from a different branch in the family tree.

And do you have an example of "house baratheon of kings landing" from the text? I don't recall that one either.

"House Baratheon of King's Landing is the royal line of House Baratheon of Storm's End, from which it comes. It was founded by Robert Baratheon after his successful rebellion against King Aerys II Targaryen. When he became king, Robert moved from Storm's End to King's Landing." - Asoiaf wiki

Whether they claim it through Targaryen blood or not doesn't matter. The throne now legally passes down the Baratheon family tree to Stannis, so in answering this topic about Stannis's reaction to Dany it is fairly safe to assume he will still claim he is the legal heir to the Baratheon throne, because he is.

I get what your trying to say, Robert was chosen to be king by the rebels because he was related to the Targaryens, but I don't see how it impacts this discussion thread so I don't see a reason in bringing it up.

Wiki is not a textual source, but a fan interpretation of the text.

I personally think GRRM left it intentionally vague about who has the most legit claim(s) and how they are derived so things will be most interesting, and TBH realistic.

If there was a statement in the text where stannis says "those Targaryens have no claim so I don't even have to worry about them," I'd change my mind. But quite the opposite is true.

• 2 weeks later...

i find this "claim" thing really ridicoulus. with the right amount of soldier and with good strategy even the butchers boy could be the lord of seven kingdoms. but if we are going to talk about claim stannis is the true heir of the last king making everybody else usurpers.

Can he produce a DNA test to prove it?

i find this "claim" thing really ridicoulus. with the right amount of soldier and with good strategy even the butchers boy could be the lord of seven kingdoms. but if we are going to talk about claim stannis is the true heir of the last king making everybody else usurpers.

Even though it is ridiculous and arbitrary, There's clearly something to the idea of a claim in feudal societies. People are willing to follow people not because they are the best leader, but because they think the person has a legitimate right to the throne derived from blood. No one follows the butchers boy because they know no one else will follow them. Also, supporting kings who have a right by blood strengthens a lords own right to his heirs inheriting the lands he owns. It's a self-perpetuating system for that reason, however arbitrary and wrong.

However I think when you have multiple claimants, that's when people might choose to follow a leader they actually think is the best/most qualified.

Archived