TWOIAF Spoilers: Ice dragon

Or rather ice dragons.

Mentioned in the Shivering Sea chapter, as quasi-mythical beasts, yet supposed to have been spotted by people in the Northern sea. Said to have a freezing breath that can instantly kill a man. And supposed to be far bigger than Valyrian fire-breathing dragons.

Ice dragons, that are said to melt after death. I'm wondering how people would actually be able to witness this, but let's take it at face value.

What other kind of creatures melts after being killed. I wonder. I think they were ice/cold-related, too.

And, assuming these ice dragons are real, where would they actually come from? Where if not from the Heart of Winter? Remember, the farther North you are, the smaller the distances. If it takes thousands of miles to go from Dorne to Qarth, it's way shorter to go from the Land of Always Winter to North of Ib. And if you go North enough, you're at the pole - or, basically, at the true Heart of Winter.

I'm starting to wonder if what freaked out Bran so much in his AGOT vision weren't a group of massive ice dragons.

Bonus question: can you actually warg an ice dragon?

Or rather ice dragons.

Mentioned in the Shivering Sea chapter, as quasi-mythical beasts, yet supposed to have been spotted by people in the Northern sea. Said to have a freezing breath that can instantly kill a man. And supposed to be far bigger than Valyrian fire-breathing dragons.

Ice dragons, that are said to melt after death. I'm wondering how people would actually be able to witness this, but let's take it at face value.

What other kind of creatures melts after being killed. I wonder. I think they were ice/cold-related, too.

And, assuming these ice dragons are real, where would they actually come from? Where if not from the Heart of Winter? Remember, the farther North you are, the smaller the distances. If it takes thousands of miles to go from Dorne to Qarth, it's way shorter to go from the Land of Always Winter to North of Ib. And if you go North enough, you're at the pole - or, basically, at the true Heart of Winter.

I'm starting to wonder if what freaked out Bran so much in his AGOT vision weren't a group of massive ice dragons.

I'm highly starting to believe The Others have a pet hanging around somewhere. People will be like "fuck yeah,Danys here to save us from these ice motherfuckers. Dracarys!" and then a sudden silence will come when ice dragon(s) come and fuck things up

I'm highly starting to believe The Others have a pet hanging around somewhere. People will be like "fuck yeah,Danys here to save us from these ice motherfuckers. Dracarys!" and then a sudden silence will come when ice dragon(s) come and fuck things up

That is in fact highly plausible. The threat of the Great Others will be pretty tame otherwise at the battle - Dany, Tyrion and Jon will just kill them all from dragonback.

I do wonder whether it will be Ice Dragon singular - could they not be an entire squadron of ice dragons?

That is in fact highly plausible. The threat of the Great Others will be pretty tame otherwise at the battle - Dany, Tyrion and Jon will just kill them all from dragonback.

I do wonder whether it will be Ice Dragon singular - could they not be an entire squadron of ice dragons?

one is more than enough - these dragons were supposed to be much bigger than full grown Valyrian dragons and Danny's are only children

Or rather ice dragons.

I haven't read The Ice Dragon, but does this description match those dragons? There's a chance this could just be a reference to that.

But if they manage to take down and wightify Drogon, all bets are off.

Could it be that that the Others/White Walkers are the Ice Dragon Riders?? I mean, the Valyrians were called the Blood of the Dragon and had many magical powers related to fire. Hell, they built their cities from it. What about the Whit Walkers? One could surmise that they have Ice cities, Ice magic and based on this little piece of info, they seem to have the saem bllod as an Ice Dragon. Are you kidding me? There are no coincidences.

Also, I agree. I have been wondering for a while how a battle between the Dragons and White Walkers would look like. Now Ice Dragon vs Fire Dragon is completely different. Also, it put into perspective Bloodraven's promise to Bran that he will Fly.

I think there could be one in the hot spring at Winterfell. A fun (not really serious) idea is that it's where "winter" "fell" so maybe that winter was where the ice dragon was defeated toward the end of the Long Night. Melted into the hot springs and that's how they're contained. Constant heat.

It could also mean that the "second Dance" is a fire dragon vs ice dragon fight, which considering all that still has to happen might make more sense logistically.

the Dragons dancing to the song of Ice and Fire.

Im still starting to believe that the White Walkers are the Ice Dragin Riders

I haven't read The Ice Dragon, but does this description match those dragons? There's a chance this could just be a reference to that.

I have read "The Ice Dragon". The description in TWOIAF matches the one in the story.

Spoilers of "The Ice Dragon":

The story is told in the point of view of a little girl, and talks about two kingdoms at war, and dragon riders were common in both sides.

The ice dragon in the story fights the "fire" dragons and win, but dies and melts just like mentioned in TWOIAF

Other references to ASOIAF that I found was that it says the ice dragon comes from the "land of always winter" and it proposes the discussion: is it the cold that brings the ice dragon or is the ice dragon that brings the cold. However, the seasons in the story are periodic, but it also talks of the winter getting colder and colder every year.

Interesting.

Perhaps the 'song of ice and fire' has less to do with Starks and Targaryens and more to do with ice dragons and Valyrian dragons. Of course, we'll have a good while to wait and see if any of this actually pans out, but it's an interesting idea.

It could also mean that the "second Dance" is a fire dragon vs ice dragon fight, which considering all that still has to happen might make more sense logistically.

I've had the same thought myself. In fact, TPatQ might provide a hint about this. Specifically when Daemon Targaryen and Aemond One-Eye battle over the Gods Eye. Daemon's dragon, Caraxes, is red like the Targaryen sigil. Yet, despite that sigil, red does not seem like a common color for dragons. The only other one that we know of is Meleys the Red Queen, the dragon of Princess Rhaenys, the Queen Who Never Was.

On the other side of the battle was Aemond Targaryen, who was known for, among other things, wearing a sapphire in the socket of his missing eye. Right away this reminded me of the Ice Dragon constellation. It contains a blue star that is either said to be the dragon's eye, or, the eye of the dragon rider. Aemond Targaryen was a dragon rider with a sapphire blue eye. An unlikely coincidence, I say. That means, in the battle over the Gods Eye between Daemon and Aemond Targaryen, GRRM showed us a red (=fire) dragon fighting the Ice Dragon constellation come-to-life, figuratively speaking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons

It's kinda funny how there seem to be dragons on all the fringe's of the known world. Ice dragons in the north, dragons in the east in shadows of Asshai, dragons in the south with them Wyverns. All a good artsy medieval woiaf map needs now is a fabled seadragon in the west somewhere beyond lonely light. :D

If the Others have an ice dragon, why would it not have been used during the battles of the Long Night?

Dany on Drogon will battle the Night's King on the Great Other--Ice Dragon let it be known! haha

The Great other is the Ice Dragon? Wow, that would be kinda amazing.

Wasn't The Ice Dragon just re-released? Kind of interesting on the timing...

Someone once posted a theory about them using a dragon inside or under the wall to bind the magic or some such. I didn't really think ice dragons would play a role, but who knows?

If the Others have an ice dragon, why would it not have been used during the battles of the Long Night?

The Great other is the Ice Dragon? Wow, that would be kinda amazing.

Maybe they didn't have them then. There's no indication regular dragons were there the first time, but it's common belief that Dany's dragons will be used to fight the Others this time.

Maybe they didn't have them then. There's no indication regular dragons were there the first time, but it's common belief that Dany's dragons will be used to fight the Others this time.

I don't have this book yet, but what was the timeframe of the sightings of these "ice dragons" as mentioned above?

Archived