(Book spoilers) If Young Griff is cut...

Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

IF Trystane will replace Aegon, and take his role in the story, he'll do it as Trystane, not "TrAegon" or something: The show can't have two sons of Rhaegar, especially not two sons unaware of their real origins, both with dead mothers and whose mothers' brothers pretend they'd be their own sons, and then two big reveals - Don't you agree that this would be too much?

No matter if we're here talking about a fake-Targ or if you mean Elia's real son, it doesn't matter, GoT is not ASOIAF, there aren't dozens of secrets Targs running around, and Ned and Doran sharing the same situation, no hints at all (in Trystane's case) or much less than in the books (in Jon's case) for this, and then Trystane gets his big moment of "You're a Targ!" in the same season he's introduced, while Jon -one of the main characters- is then just the second one with this fate (assuming R+L=J is right) - I can't think of a way to make the audience buy this all without making it seem strange/silly/cheesy.

I agree to this:

Trystane could fulfill Aegon's role in the plot without actually being him (which without a good explanation would strain credulity IMO). He could potentially stake a claim to the Throne through Myrcella and be the one to unseat Tommen and be backed by the Faith (assuming of course that these things actually happen to dear fAegon). If Varys and Tyrion send the Golden Company to Dorne, they could be part of his force potentially.

As of yet though all we know is that Trystane will take on certain aspects of Arianne's AFFC role.

Also

- I think (f)Aegon is cut

- "His" plot might be still in; I find this whole Trystane/Aegon-business strange, but if it's necessary for the story (to have a person who fulfills the role), okay.

- We can't really speculate much without knowing TWOW & ADOS.

I am sure their plan is to get as far away from this show as possible.

Lol,

Hopefully this is just a cast size decision and they bring him in next season after they've killed a few people off this season

People have to remember that with TV they can only have so many people

That said they probably could have done with just two Sand Snakes instead of mashing the book Sand Snakes together and then coming up with 3 characters, discussion for a different thread though

Hopefully they bring Euron and Victarion into it later

Issue here is that they had Varys and Illyrio talking in season 1, and then later may have made decision to cut or hopefully just push back Young Griff, seem to have done the same with the BWB, if they were planning to cut LS all along they wouldn't have introduced Beric Dondarrion like they did

People have to remember that with TV they can only have so many people

This.

In a novel - or series of novels- you can have as many characters/plot lines as your heart desires. When doing a tv or movie adaptation that's the 1st luxury that goes by the wayside.

We don't know for a fact that Young Griff has been cut from the show completely - he may well turn up in season 6. Then again, he may well be merged with another character to streamline the plot lines and still achieve - essentially - the same end. We're not in the writers heads and unless any of us have direct experience in running a major show we are in no position to judge them for decisions they've made.

By all means, feel annoyed that a particular character - or characters- has been cut, but understand there are reasons for it being done.

Trystane would be around 12 right about now. Aegon sould be 18 right about now. Unless the writer decides to age him 5 years, he isn't it. and it would definitely suck that Robert's number enemy was right under his nose the whole time

Show Trystane is about 18.

Shouldn't Aegon be the same age as Dany, though, independent of whatever that is? Show Trystane looks about 10 years younger than show Dany.

I'd say that if (f)Aegon is cut and Trystane fills his role, this has interesting implications for the three-heads-of-dragon angle. Namely, maybe it's just me, but I can't possibly see that twink on a dragon next to Dany and Jon. And I don't think the show would change something so fundamental as the identity of a dragonrider.

Aegon is older than Dany, as she was born after the Rebellion ended. Aegon, if real, would've been at least nearly two when she was born. (Possibly older, but I doubt he was more than roughly a year and a half when KL fell, so it's a difference of six months or so.)

That said, cutting him from season 5 makes sense. While Tyrion's time on the Shy Maid is one of my favorite parts of ADWD, aside from the fight with the stone men it's not the most visually engaging. The best way to bring him in is, if they end season 5 with the AFFC/ADWD epilogues (which I would, along with Dany alone and Jon's stabbing), have the small council talking about this new invader, who we first meet in the s6 opener.

Stannis was set up similarly, in both book and show. We heard of him, but he wasn't seen.

The problem with Trystane being Aegon is that Trystane is a known and public figure. Tyrion knew who he was when he shipped Myrcella away. If Dorne starts claiming that Trystane is Aegon nobody would believe. In the books Varys`s and Illyrio`s plan is based on the fact that Aegon is recognizable, with Targ features.

There is an even bigger problem - Oberyn.

If Trystane is a claimant to the IT, Oberyn would be a huge part of getting him to the throne. He would be a great diplomat, a superb fighter, and a good general. In this context Oberyn's final trip to KL makes zero sense. He would not have been wasted this way. He would have been doing the groundwork for a potential campaign for Trystane.

I liked this theory until I thought of this angle. I don't see how you can overcome it.

There is an even bigger problem - Oberyn.

If Trystane is a claimant to the IT, Oberyn would be a huge part of getting him to the throne. He would be a great diplomat, a superb fighter, and a good general. In this context Oberyn's final trip to KL makes zero sense. He would not have been wasted this way. He would have been doing the groundwork for a potential campaign for Trystane.

I liked this theory until I thought of this angle. I don't see how you can overcome it.

Easy: Oberyn is a hot headed idiot who put his vengeance ahead of Doran's well crafted plans. Desire vs. duty, if you will. Doran could explain how Oberyn's death complicated his plans and how he can't trust a hot headed idiot again, so Trystane/Aegon needs to kill the boy and let the man be born or something.

Or there is no Aegon and Trystane will marry and bed Myrcella and claim the IT due marriage - that deals with the "who would believe he's Aegon" part. He can still do pretty much the same as Aegon: go hire the GC, maybe meet Tyrion along the way, try to convince Dany to come West (without marriage, though) but return mid journey.

The problem with Trystane being Aegon is that Trystane is a known and public figure. Tyrion knew who he was when he shipped Myrcella away. If Dorne starts claiming that Trystane is Aegon nobody would believe. In the books Varys`s and Illyrio`s plan is based on the fact that Aegon is recognizable, with Targ features.

Aegon is supposed to be half Dornish.

In the books, it was Rhaenys who had Dornish features and Aegon had a Targ look. But in the show, they could easily change that.

It's not in any way a problem.

Aegon is supposed to be half Dornish.

In the books, it was Rhaenys who had Dornish features and Aegon had a Targ look. But in the show, they could easily change that.

It's not in any way a problem.

Of course, this all depends on whether Aegon is real in the first place. I don't see the show making him real if the books have made him false.

I agree about the looks, though- the show has put much less emphasis on looks.

Given those leaked season 5 pictures seem to suggest Tyrion joins up with Dany sooner rather than later, it might not be impossible that Tyrion ends up in command of Dany's forces at Mereen after the Pit of Daznak incident and could force a similar landing that Griff and the Golden Company did while Dany does whatever she does with the Dothraki. A bit silly, but the scene of Cersei flipping out once she hears would be worth it.

Or it could be that they had just filmed the Pit of Daznak and Peter Dinklage was just hanging out with Emilia Clarke.

Or it could be that they had just filmed the Pit of Daznak and Peter Dinklage was just hanging out with Emilia Clarke.

Or possibly this is going to be the very end of Season 5, as they may speed up Tyrion's timeline from ADWD. Although it is one of my favorite arcs, like others have said, it really isn't all that visually appealing (Are we gonna have a Penny, too?).If Aegon = Trystan , then it really weakens Oberyn's reason to come to KL in the first place. "You RAPED her, you MURDERED her! You keeeeled her cheeldren!....oh wait, nvm...he's been my nephew (twice) the whole time.

/eyes gouged out.

Or possibly this is going to be the very end of Season 5, as they may speed up Tyrion's timeline from ADWD. Although it is one of my favorite arcs, like others have said, it really isn't all that visually appealing (Are we gonna have a Penny, too?).If Aegon = Trystan , then it really weakens Oberyn's reason to come to KL in the first place. "You RAPED her, you MURDERED her! You keeeeled her cheeldren!....oh wait, nvm...he's been my nephew (twice) the whole time.

/eyes gouged out.

Exactly

1) It pretty much ruins "everyones" favorite character from season 4

2) If Dorne had the best claimant, why sit out the entire Wo5ks?

3) What the heck have Varys and Illyrio been up to if this is the plan?

4) If this is the plan why did Varys place so much stock in Tyrion? (he was last seen probably leaving with him)

2, 3, and 4 are simple to bullshit through, though. 2: why intervene when others are fighting and making each other weaker? 3: waiting until the right opportunity. 4: he wants to have a friendly Lannister in Casterly Rock, and right now, he's got both Tyrion and Jaime on his side. He left KL to avoid all the general hubbub.

Archived