Roberts Bastards

Seaworth'sShipmate

Why didn't Robert provide for his bastards, and take them in to live with him and his family, as Ned was kind enough to do for Lyanna and Rhaegar's son?

Robert has even less excuse not to, since they are his own children.

Maybe Joffrey would have turned out nicer, if he had 5 or 6 dark haired siblings to live with and try and be nice with.

Maybe Cersei would have been nice to them, than Cat was to Jon.

After all she herself is the mother of three bastards, what is a few more bastards to her anyway?

Did you even read the novels? This very issue was explained. Robert thought about bringing Mya to court and Cersei considered it an insult to her pride and hinted that the girl would die if he did. Further more those 'dark haired bastards' are threats to her children's throne.

Did you even read the novels? This very issue was explained. Robert thought about bringing Mya to court and Cersei considered it an insult to her pride and hinted that the girl would die if he did. Further more those 'dark haired bastards' are threats to her children's throne.

But she could really grow as a person, by opening her heart to them. Lol, come to think about it, it sounds like the perfect set up for a Westerosi sitcom/ soap opera.

She really is kind of a hypocrite though, hating Robert for sleeping around, when she herself is unfaithful to him, and fathering bastards, where she does the same ( though admittedly not as many)

If all of Robert's bastards had been recognised as part of the Royal Family, and their bastards in turn recognised, over time the cost to the public purse would have become massive. By limiting the King to one wife and only children from that marriage being considered royal, the size of the Royal Family is kept to a sensible size.

Robert could have provided for her, he had friends in the Strormlands, the North, the Vale or the Riverlands. Had he officially acknowledged her she could have been fostered anywhere. This is not on Cersei but Robert.

Edric Storm and Mya Stone, the ones we know Robert knew about, were cared for. Varys sent them gifts and they were under lord's protection. There's really no telling what Cersei would have done if Robert favored them more. She doesn't make idle threats often.

Edric was acknowledged, mainly because of his mother's family and was sent gifts buy Mya was never acknowledged. This can't be blamed on Cersei as she was born a few years before they were even married and while Cersei was undoubtedly horrible I doubt she was making 'threats' on day one of the marriage.

Though he had risen to knighthood, Ser Lothor's birth had been very low. One night he had told her that he was kin to the Brunes of Brownhollow, an old knightly family from Crackclaw Point. "I went to them when my father died," he confessed, "but they shat on me, and said I was no blood of theirs." Brune would be a good match for a bastard girl like Mya Stone, she thought. It might be different if her father had acknowledged her, but he never did.

Had she been acknowledged she wouldn't be bringing mules up and down a path and would have a much more comfortable life.

Edric was acknowledged, mainly because of his mother's family and was sent gifts buy Mya was never acknowledged. This can't be blamed on Cersei as she was born a few years before they were even married and while Cersei was undoubtedly horrible I doubt she was making 'threats' on day one of the marriage.

Had she been acknowledged she wouldn't be bringing mules up and down a path and would have a much more comfortable life.

Mya Stone wasn't acknowledged but she was protected and given a place in Jon Arryn's castle. Treating her like a princess would have called attention. Sansa is a little snobbish when she meets her. Her opinion of Mya and Mychel Redfort is basically the same one she has of Jeyne Poole and Beric Dondarion.

Robert didn't provide for his bastards because he gets easily bored with things. He was quite excited by Mya when she was a baby and then, she found out something else to have fun with, probably another woman, tourneys, more women, Lyanna, the Rebellion, women. That's the "nature" Lyanna talked about. He had a very short attention span for things he claimed to cared about. And the rest of his bastards, he barely cared. He's not Oberyn, who apparently kept track of his fucks. :dunno:

Robert taking Mya to court was the acknowledge the girls needed. In that way, he would be taking care of her and claiming her as his daughter. For whatever reason it was, he didn't. Hence, people knows she's his son, but he's not in charge of her. Edric, otoh, is under care of the Baratheons, hence, the acknowledgement and the Storm naming. Mya is Stone because she's a bastard from the Vale, whose father was a noble man, but he never took her.

Mya Stone wasn't acknowledged but she was protected and given a place in Jon Arryn's castle. Treating her like a princess would have called attention. Sansa is a little snobbish when she meets her.

She was given a place as a member of Arryns staff, not even a high ranking member. Mya was born in 79/80. Cersei was 18 when she married Robert in 84, and as I said, I doubt she was in a position to be making bitchy threats from day one.

Robert had plenty of time to acknowledge her, have a family officially adopt her like Larence Snow(Hornwood bastard) at Deepwood Motte.

Robert didn't provide for his bastards because he gets easily bored with things. He was quite excited by Mya when she was a baby and then, she found out something else to have fun with, probably another woman, tourneys, more women, Lyanna, the Rebellion, women. That's the "nature" Lyanna talked about. He had a very short attention span for things he claimed to cared about. And the rest of his bastards, he barely cared. He's not Oberyn, who apparently kept track of his fucks. :dunno:

Robert taking Mya to court was the acknowledge the girls needed. In that way, he would be taking care of her and claiming her as his daughter. For whatever reason it was, he didn't. Hence, people knows she's his son, but he's not in charge of her. Edric, otoh, is under care of the Baratheons, hence, the acknowledgement and the Storm naming. Mya is Stone because she's a bastard from the Vale, whose father was a noble man, but he never took her.

This.

Robert didn't really care that much for his bastards. Or his legit children for that matter. I doubt whether he has any idea how many he has fathered throughout the years.

This.

Robert didn't really care that much for his bastards. Or his legit children for that matter. I doubt whether he has any idea how many he has fathered throughout the years.

Yeah, even Varys had trouble keeping of them. I bet none of them really cross his mind that often. He wasn't even the one who sent Edric gifts, but Varys doing it in his name. He seems to have totally forgotten Mya.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about Edric Storm as a possible pretender. He's the only true legitimate son of Robert Baratheon. Once Tommen dies (I don't like his chances in the upcoming book) the court of Westeros has a serious problem at hand. They will be forced to decide between conceding to Stannis or alter the succession law so that Myrcella would be Queen. This would also open the door for Daenerys, however, so the small council may decide to crown Robert's bastards, which will make Edric Storm able to be crowned king. This could be important, because this would also open the door for any Blackfyre pretenders out there as well. I feel like the rapid deaths of recent kings and claimants has been building towards Tommen's unfortunate demise and the realm being faced with the biggest succession crisis since the dance of dragons.

Yup, pretty much sums it up. The bitch, sorry, Cersei would have had them killed, and in all likelyhood, would have raised doubt to whether or not Joffery and Co were really Robert's.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about Edric Storm as a possible pretender. He's the only true legitimate son of Robert Baratheon. Once Tommen dies (I don't like his chances in the upcoming book) the court of Westeros has a serious problem at hand. They will be forced to decide between conceding to Stannis or alter the succession law so that Myrcella would be Queen. This would also open the door for Daenerys, however, so the small council may decide to crown Robert's bastards, which will make Edric Storm able to be crowned king. This could be important, because this would also open the door for any Blackfyre pretenders out there as well. I feel like the rapid deaths of recent kings and claimants has been building towards Tommen's unfortunate demise and the realm being faced with the biggest succession crisis since the dance of dragons.

Robert has no true legitimate sons. Just bastards, some more lucky than others. However I feel Edric's visibility is going to be a problem, sure its nice now that he's protected by his grandmother's family somewhere in Essos but once Tommen goes eyes are going to fall on him as a threat or an opportunity depending on the person. He's going to be used for something, and as a little boy I don't think he's going to come out well of it.

No small council is going to name Stannis, Shireen or Dany monarch. They have no interest in doing so. It will be populated by Tyrell supporters primarily and they will be voting themselves out of power. Stannis will kill them, Shireen can't be crowned without Stannis unless he dies, and Dany is married so they would be demoting themselves. The Septons don't want fire worshippers or Dothraki hoardes on their shores. I don't think it will come to any of that though. Should that happen I can see either Edric being recalled to be crowned or Mace crowning himself because he can.

Archived