Social Justice Warriors, Unite, again!

Ser Scot A Ellison

Here we go again: ISLAMEVILNOO. For what it's worth, I agree with karaddin regarding white western feminists 'teaching' us brown ladies how to be feminists/ensure we have our rights etc. I know this is probably unfathomable for some, but here in actual Muslim countries, women (like me) are working daily on the ground to improve life, according to local culture and history and society; not just typing self righteously. Of course, the only lens such people have are Western-media based, so how would they know?

To drag the debate back to SJW, here's an 'interesting' read. I say 'interesting' because many of his points are clearly disingenuous.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9376232/free-speech-is-so-last-century-todays-students-want-the-right-to-be-comfortable/

Well to be fair I'd like to frame it more as I was preemptively agreeing with you :p I try to listen when groups say "we don't want this" or when they speak of their experience. I wasn't trying to assert an authoritative position, quite the opposite - that I cannot have one.

The spectator article really highlights the petulance of the shutting down debate!! meme. Why don't we want to hear his ideas, he asks? Why are we so closed to new ideas?

Because they're not new and they're barely ideas.

He is not entitled to a platform. He is not entitled to anyone's time or attention. If the discussion is on how should we reduce the impact of AGW? and he pops in and wrenches the discussion over to fuck AGW, let's industrialize Africa - that's a way of shutting down debate too. He turns it from how? to whether?, and now the debate of if we do, how? is stifled. Same reason we don't allow is feminism good? in our feminism thread, because if it's allowed then that Sysyphean discussion drowns out everything else.

My thoughts entirely. Why shouldn't female students be irked at the prospect of two men (for likely the billionth time ever) discussing abortion.

I love how petulant such points of view sound: they're taking away my toys, essentially!

As if women haven't had enough of mansplaining when it comes to shit that impacts women, like childbirth or a lack thereof, rape, working vs. staying at home and countless other topics. Wasn't long ago when women needed a man's 'permission' to do anything at all, and that's still the case in many societies. This is why the whinging of such men astounds me: gee, I wonder why women would be fed up with hearing men tell them what to do with their own bodies!

And yes, I used 'rape' to mean 'man on woman' in this context. Before someone starts picking the word apart and chastizing me along the lines of 'what about the men!!!'

I love how he tried to sneak Islam in here. So casually!

I think you have me confused with the guy who brought it up

Gears just spreads his steaming, ripe hatred of Islam in every thread he posts in now, because as any crazy uncle's unwanted drunken ranting shows, the more loudly and often you screech bigotry the more people are persuaded to your position.

Interesting how I also called Judaism and Christianity repugnant cults and all of my posts about religion are critical of all religions but all that matters is insulting Islam right? Islam is the only religion beyond reproach.

I think you have me confused with the guy who brought it up

Interesting how I also called Judaism and Christianity repugnant cults and all of my posts about religion are critical of all religions but all that matters is insulting Islam right? Islam is the only religion beyond reproach.

Ah yes, the "sure, I hate black people but I hate other minorities too!" defense; a classic from Uncle Crazy. And great material for every discussion no matter the subject!

Ah yes, the "sure, I hate black people but I hate other minorities too!" defense; a classic from Uncle Crazy. And great material for every discussion no matter the subject!

I don't hate Muslims, I hate Islam. Do you have a problem with me hating Islam? Or are you just going to assert that I then must hate Muslims?

I don't hate Muslims, I hate Islam. Do you have a problem with me hating Islam? Or are you just going to assert that I then must hate Muslims?

"I don't hate black people, I hate black culture." Of course, you actually said:

You guy's are really still surprised when Muslims say/do something sexist..? Women are constantly marginalised and abused at the hands of that repugnant cult.

So you were in fact expressing your special opinion of Muslims, not merely Islam. Continuing with the analogy, you'd hate black people AND culture.

And as for your question - if you only smeared that shit on the walls of your own cell that'd be one thing, but your tendency to fling your religious bigotry poop projectiles everywhere you go makes you a health hazard and, yes, pretty fucking tiresome.

"I don't hate black people, I hate black culture." Of course, you actually said:

uhh no. If you can't see the difference between hating a culture and hating a religion then I really can't help you.

So you were in fact expressing your special opinion of Muslims, not merely Islam. Continuing with the analogy, you'd hate black people AND culture

No idea how you arrived here but okay. What if I said "You guy's are really still surprised when Republicans say/do something sexist..?" instead? Does not indicate hatred of all republicans? No, I don't think so. Turns out that many people who adhere to a sexist religion end up with sexist positions, who knew!?

Yes, only Muslims are sexist, GotB. What happened at UVA was perpetrated by Muslims, those evil sods. In other news, Bill Cosby is a Muslim or he will be, considering he may be a rapist. Sigh.

Anyway, the article in the OP references points like 'this is the same as that time I argued with people who claimed that gangsta rap led to crime, or that tarantino movies make people indulge in gorn'.

Personally, I don't think entertainment causes such mayhem, unless a consumer is already... disturbed.

I do think this writer tried to equate this point with something entirely different: the effort of women to reclaim what is essentially THEIR space. Like abortions. Again, I think this is not about free speech. The guy is free to expound his views elsewhere; doesn't mean this group of women didn't have the right to refuse to listen to him at this specific point in that specific forum.

Yes, only Muslims are sexist, GotB. What happened at UVA was perpetrated by Muslims, those evil sods. In other news, Bill Cosby is a Muslim or he will be, considering he may be a rapist. Sigh.

?? I don't recall saying that. I even implied many republicans say/do sexist things so I really have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Again, equating Republicans to Muslims strikes me as a fallacious analogy.

In the context I used it, it's not fallacious whatsoever, if you feel differently feel free to explain why

This thread isn't about Islam. Someone posted a link about Erdogan and you linked that to Muslims in general. Taking an individual's statement to mean 'why are you surprised Muslims are sexist' is quite a leap, and one you seem to have made. Hence my comment about all Muslims above.

Republicans=members of a political party. By choice, as adults. Confined to the USA only.

Muslims=followers of a religion. By birth, in most cases, as infants. Present all over the world.

If you can't see the difference, good luck. It isn't my job to explain it to you.

Archived