Most hipster ASOIAF characters

RenlyIsNotRight

I went to a concert in Willimsburg this past weekend, so this has been pretty fresh in my mind - which ASOIAF character is the most likely to be a bonafide hipster icon?

Here are my nominees...

• Stannis: He's already prematurely balding, is careful about what he eats and pays very close attention his beard maintenance. If he lived in the modern world, he'd straight up be crusing through the streets of Portland rocking flannel and blasting this ironically while still having the same scowl on his face the entire time. The image is pretty fucking beautiful if you ask me.
  • Edmure: This dude is already the Andrew W.K. of Westeros, so that pretty much qualifies him immediately. His sister dropped his nephew off at his apartment to babysit, but he spends all day off sampling the selection at the local microbreweries, and gets yelled at when he stumbles home drunk at the end of the night.
  • Darkstar: Everything about him is already ironic gold, need I say more?
  • Davos: Dat beard, need I say more?

Any other suggestions welcome - admittedly I'm just a kid from the suburbs who likes craft beer and record stores so my knowledge of hipster culture is a bit limited. Lets get this going

Mannis, it is known.

Not saying he is not a character deserving a fandom, but he is the face of hipster fan favorites, often used to differentiate book & show fans.

Besides him, the general hipster trend as of late is a fondness for corrupt characters, and a justification for their actions:

-Cersei, "she is just a woman ahead of her time..."

-Tywin, "the desolation of the Riverlands was justified retaliation from a over-caring father."

-Marsh, "Jon Snow broke his vows, and deserved every stab!"

The entire North

"Oh is that so? you worship the Seven, how nice for you. Lately I've really been getting into some of the old gods, but I doubt you've ever heard of them."

You forgot: "Oh, we're not ruled by the Iron Throne, we have another King, but you've probably never heard of him".

And speaking of the King in the North, I'd definitely nominate Robb for:

"Oh, I was promised to another girl, but I chose this one instead... Because I felt like it."

Stannis is not a hipster. He is too "old-school" with little tolerance for what he would think as "artsy BS."

Marillion perhaps? Daario Naharis?

Marillion is the college fratboy who loves Dave Matthews Band and Daario is an Ed Hardy t shit wearing guido. The closest approximation I can give to that is that Daario sort of bears a resemblance to Riff Raff.

Stannis being a hipster reminds me of this little exchange in GTA:V.

"You... are a hipster!"

"What?"

"You're a hipster."

"I hate hipsters."

"Classic hipster denial."

"I abhor hipsters. I eat them for fun!"

"Hipsters love saying they hate hipsters."

"Well, I really fucking do!"

"Self hatred. Common hipster affliction."

"Only because I'm living out here away from the Bean Machines, and the bankers?"

"You're gentrifying. Soon, the skinny jeans will show up, then the skinny lattes, and then the bankers. And you'll be somewhere else starting the cycle all over again. Maybe you're not a classic garden variety hipster, but you're what the hipsters aspire to be. You, Trevor, are the proto-hipster."

"I don't know what you're talking about. I don't agree with what you're saying. You're talking bullshit. And you're trying to wind me up. But I'm very, very angry, and I want this conversation to stop right away."

Marillion is the college fratboy who loves Dave Matthews Band and Daario is an Ed Hardy t shit wearing guido. The closest approximation I can give to that is that Daario sort of bears a resemblance to Riff Raff.

But like hipsters marillion is really into guitars and songs he composes himself. His music might be a bit mainstream though.. Is he like a fratboy because of his rapey intentions toward Sansa, and his general sleeping around?

the BWB seems hipsterish... Darkstar too... Patch face too

Ser Balon Swann of the Kingsguard.

Everyone else running around with a sword but he specialized in the Morning Star. It's an obscure weapon, difficult to master, you've probably never used it. But it's so much better than a sword if you really know what you're doing.

Morning star is the mace on the chain right? It seems like a really cumbersome, bad kind of weapon, which might be hard to parry with, or pull out of someone once you stick it in them

Archived