Isle of Faces

Sir Duck's Squire

I'm currently rereading ACOK and I did notice that one of the rumors about Beric during the Tickler's interrogations was that Beric took a boat across the Godseye. I wonder if he also made a pilgrimage to the Isle of Faces?

Specifically the pertinent passage reads

They learned that Lord Beric had ten starvelings with him, or else a hundred mounted knights; that he had ridden west, or north, or south; that he had crossed the lake in a boat; that he was strong as an aurochs or weak from the bloody flux.

Considering that this interogation occurred on a village on the shore of the God's Eye, I'm assuming that this is the lake in question.

I'm currently rereading ACOK and I did notice that one of the rumors about Beric during the Tickler's interrogations was that Beric took a boat across the Godseye. I wonder if he also made a pilgrimage to the Isle of Faces?

Beric was a believer in R'hlor, the most intolerant religion in the world, I doubt he went to another god's holy place without burning it to the ground.

Except that they are on friendly terms with the Ghost of High Heart and seek justice for the septas and the septons that were murdered.

What reason does he have to make a Pilgrimage to a place he dosen't hold holy?

What reason does he have to make a Pilgrimage to a place he dosen't hold holy?

I dont' know, why did Addam Velaryon make a pilgrimage there? I think we are assuming we know who all the players are in this story and whose side they're on. I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to yet. I would note that Beric did choose to make his hideout a cave underneath a former grove of Weirwoods where the Weirwood roots are still present. In fact he makes his throne amongst these roots. They also actively seek out information from the Ghost of High Heart who follows the Old Gods.

They learned that Lord Beric had ten starvelings with him, or else a hundred mounted knights; that he had ridden west, or north, or south; that he had crossed the lake in a boat; that he was strong as an aurochs or weak from the bloody flux.

Sounds like Dany's arc.

I think it's a likely place for two certain people to have gotten married in secret.

But at the moment there's not much to back that up except for geography.

Is the actual Isle of Faces approximately 10 leagues from Harrenhal? The Lake is right there...but the Isle?

Maybe 3 certain members of the traveling party couldn't swim so bailed out on getting there?!?!

Lord I'm really speculating a lot huh? Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

From what Ran said, Daemon Targaryen is currently on that isle with the Green Men. Maybe akin to the Elder Brother, a knight who found some healing and solace on this monastic community if it could be called that. I think we will meet him again in Dany or Tyrion's POV.

Rhaegar and Lyanna may also have gone there to be married.

I thought Ran said this.

"Rhaenyra's second husband is probably the most remarkable, and maybe infuriating as well, Targaryen who ever lived since Aegon and his sisters. I suppose you'd call him an adventurer."

"That said, I'm not strictly sure that "The Princess and the Queen" will do him justice. You kind of need to know a bit about him from before and after the point which this novella will cover to really get the full measure of the man."

Daemon would be 220 years old. Nearly 100 years older than Bloodraven who is hanging on by a thread if you can even consider him alive.

In a 2000-ish SSM, he said the Isle of Faces and Green Men will come to the fore and I think it would be for more than just Bran seeing R+L eloping. Plus if GRRM said the Green Men will come to the fore, I'm interested in knowing how the heck they've been chilling on this Isle for 10,300 years.

I think it's most likely Bran will greensee all the way back to the pact itself because I think it has way greater meaning than has been let on...beyond simply a truce between men and singers.

A dragonrider and crannogmen has been counciled by Green Men there. Howland for an entire season. Seems to have the ability to retract visitors that aren't invited as well.

It is said the greenseers, wood dancers, and major First Men players made the pact. The trees were carved as a way of transcribing what occurred for future greenseers. Also, typically something is bound together in a pact whether through marriage or other means and I think it has to do with the sharing of the Old Gods magic/maintaining greensight through both men and singers.

I'm fairly confident:

-We will be introduced to the green men

-It has more to do than a secret wedding after the Tourney

-Bran will see at least one of the aforementioned happenings that took place here

In a 2000-ish SSM, he said the Isle of Faces and Green Men will come to the fore and I think it would be for more than just Bran seeing R+L eloping. Plus if GRRM said the Green Men will come to the fore, I'm interested in knowing how the heck they've been chilling on this Isle for 10,300 years.

I think it's most likely Bran will greensee all the way back to the pact itself because I think it has way greater meaning than has been let on...beyond simply a truce between men and singers.

A dragonrider and crannogmen has been counciled by Green Men there. Howland for an entire season. Seems to have the ability to retract visitors that aren't invited as well.

It is said the greenseers, wood dancers, and major First Men players made the pact. The trees were carved as a way of transcribing what occurred for future greenseers. Also, typically something is bound together in a pact whether through marriage or other means and I think it has to do with the sharing of the Old Gods magic/maintaining greensight through both men and singers.

I'm fairly confident:

-We will be introduced to the green men

-It has more to do than a secret wedding after the Tourney

-Bran will see at least one of the aforementioned happenings that took place here

I just pictured them chilling on the island's shore, drinking piña coladas and smoking some pot LOL Old Gods, have mercy :lmao:

I thought Ran said this.

"Rhaenyra's second husband is probably the most remarkable, and maybe infuriating as well, Targaryen who ever lived since Aegon and his sisters. I suppose you'd call him an adventurer."

"That said, I'm not strictly sure that "The Princess and the Queen" will do him justice. You kind of need to know a bit about him from before and after the point which this novella will cover to really get the full measure of the man."

Daemon would be 220 years old. Nearly 100 years older than Bloodraven who is hanging on by a thread if you can even consider him alive.

Remember the Undying? They were blue from the shade-of-the-evening that helped to preserve them.

The Green Men are likely immortals or near enough thanks to the weirwoods helping to preserve them. They would likely give Daemon some, and he probably found peace there like the Elder Brother did on the QI.

Specifically the pertinent passage reads

Considering that this interogation occurred on a village on the shore of the God's Eye, I'm assuming that this is the lake in questionI

I think you are on to something. Good find!

Archived