Dumbest names in the series?

Reginald blackfield

What do you think are the worst character names in the series? Personally I have no idea what GRRM was thinking when he named Mellario of Norvos, the name sounds too masculine for a Woman and also sounds like some sort of Magician at a kids birthday party. A dishonourable mention would be house Manwoody.

I'm ok with Mellario. It's like Consuelo, you'd think it's a male name but it's not. And he couldn't have Doran married to a Mellaria and Oberyn sleeping with an Ellaria. People would get confused and think Doran's wife ran off with his brother and that Doran is ok with it.

A Game of Thrones, Catelyn chapter after he captured Tyrion, a Bracken man-at-arms called: Kurleket

Kurleket is a deliberate reference to the Three Stooges, along with Larys and Mohor. GRRM likes to throw things like that in there, and personally I find that fun, not dumb.

Dickon Manwoody is hands down the worst name I can recall (at the moment).

A dishonourable mention would be house Manwoody.

What? How dare you! Dickon Manwoody is the manliest name in the series :P

Jar Han, Jar Joq and Jar Har (former God-Emperors of Yi Ti) however... Sounds far too Jar-Jar-y :lol:

Rattleshirt, AKA Lord o' Bones. Um, both of those are nicknames based on his chosen attire. I just know his name is actually Steve or Bill or something.

I don't mind the made-up names, but if you're going to make up names, make up names. Or at least be consistent within families. Jaime and Joanna alongside Tywin, Cersei, and Tyrion drives me bonkers, as does Stannis, Renly, and Robert. Really, Robert?

And then there are names like Brynden, Kevan, Rickard, Lysa, Petyr, and Catelyn. They're all basically real world names that are slightly misspelled and/or mispronounced. Be bold! Be daring! Or just call them Brendan, Kevin, Richard, Lisa, Peter, and Catelyn pronounced Cate-lyn.

Also, some names are super regional (the only Brandons we've seen are either Starks or Snows, Brynden Rivers and Brynden Tully, etc.), while others pop up in various places (Jon Arryn and Jon Connington, Balon Greyjoy and Balon Swann, etc.). I just find this interesting rather than "dumb" (names fascinate me).

Rattleshirt, AKA Lord o' Bones. Um, both of those are nicknames based on his chosen attire. I just know his name is actually Steve or Bill or something.

I don't mind the made-up names, but if you're going to make up names, make up names. Or at least be consistent within families. Jaime and Joanna alongside Tywin, Cersei, and Tyrion drives me bonkers, as does Stannis, Renly, and Robert. Really, Robert?

And then there are names like Brynden, Kevan, Rickard, Lysa, Petyr, and Catelyn. They're all basically real world names that are slightly misspelled and/or mispronounced. Be bold! Be daring! Or just call them Brendan, Kevin, Richard, Lisa, Peter, and Catelyn pronounced Cate-lyn.

Also, some names are super regional (the only Brandons we've seen are either Starks or Snows, Brynden Rivers and Brynden Tully, etc.), while others pop up in various places (Jon Arryn and Jon Connington, Balon Greyjoy and Balon Swann, etc.). I just find this interesting rather than "dumb" (names fascinate me).

As far as I recall Rickard is a (albeit uncommon) real name, or possibly a surname.

Archived