Dumbest names in the series?

Reginald blackfield

In the world of ice and fire theres the chapter on the history of Riverun and this bit stuck out so much to me.

Theres a Lord Grover Tully. His grandson Ser Elmo Tully....and his son Ser Kermit.

Grover. Elmo. Kermit.

two sesame street characters and a muppet. I couldn't handle it. it had to be intentional. Did anyone else catch this?

<snip

And then there are names like Brynden, Kevan, Rickard, Lysa, Petyr, and Catelyn. They're all basically real world names that are slightly misspelled and/or mispronounced. Be bold! Be daring! Or just call them Brendan, Kevin, Richard, Lisa, Peter, and Catelyn pronounced Cate-lyn.

<snip

I actually read something online (so it may be wrong) that said GRRM pronounces it kate'-lin. Don't know where kat'-lin came from. Trying to make it sound more exotic maybe?

I actually read something online (so it may be wrong) that said GRRM pronounces it kate'-lin. Don't know where kat'-lin came from. Trying to make it sound more exotic maybe?

What's funny is that the name Caitlin is not pronounced either way, which is why Irish people who were tired of hearing their name mispronounced as "kate-lin" started spelling the name phonetically as "Kathleen" (the same thing happened with the name Sean, now commonly spelled Shawn). Kathleen became way more popular than Shawn, however, and the original spelling of Caitlin was largely abandoned outside of Ireland. When having Irish ancestry started becoming trendy in the 1970s and there was an increasing interest in genealogy, people saw the name "Caitlin" in old records and thought "What a unique but traditional name to give my child!" and named their kids that, but they made the same pronunciation mistake that caused their ancestors to start spelling the name Kathleen.

This truth is often very annoying to people named Caitlin and I'd advise against letting friends know if you don't want friction.

What's funny is that the name Caitlin is not pronounced either way, which is why Irish people who were tired of hearing their name mispronounced as "kate-lin" started spelling the name phonetically as "Kathleen" (the same thing happened with the name Sean, now commonly spelled Shawn). Kathleen became way more popular than Shawn, however, and the original spelling of Caitlin was largely abandoned outside of Ireland. When having Irish ancestry started becoming trendy in the 1970s and there was an increasing interest in genealogy, people saw the name "Caitlin" in old records and thought "What a unique but traditional name to give my child!" and named their kids that, but they made the same pronunciation mistake that caused their ancestors to start spelling the name Kathleen.

This truth is often very annoying to people named Caitlin and I'd advise against letting friends know if you don't want friction.

I'm Irish and I've always pronounced Caitlin as "Kate-lin" Oops.

Irish or Irish-Somethingelse? I'd be really surprised to find an Irish person in Ireland pronouncing it that way.

Just Irish. Lived here all my life, all my ancestors are Irish. I don't know anyone called Caitlin, I've just seen it written down so that might be why? I know a lot of Kathleen's though.

Just Irish. Lived here all my life, all my ancestors are Irish. I don't know anyone called Caitlin, I've just seen it written down so that might be why? I know a lot of Kathleen's though.

Wow, it looks like the change to "Kathleen" was pretty complete, I had assumed that it was mostly confined to the USA and other places with lots of Irish immigrants. I doubted myself for a moment, and had to confirm on Wikipedia that Kathleen was an anglicization of Caitlin.

Caitlin is a fairly common name in the USA, though it's dropped a lot in popularity since the 80s. I have never met anyone named Caitlin who pronounced it correctly.

Edited to add: I wonder if perhaps you have met some older people named Caitlin who pronounced it Kathleen, and never saw their name in writing. If my friend spelled his name "Tzsha'ad" I probably wouldn't realize because I don't think I've ever seen him write his name and I assume it's spelled "Chad".

Wow, it looks like the change to "Kathleen" was pretty complete, I had assumed that it was mostly confined to the USA and other places with lots of Irish immigrants. I doubted myself for a moment, and had to confirm on Wikipedia that Kathleen was an anglicization of Caitlin.

Caitlin is a fairly common name in the USA, though it's dropped a lot in popularity since the 80s. I have never met anyone named Caitlin who pronounced it correctly.

Edited to add: I wonder if perhaps you have met some older people named Caitlin who pronounced it Kathleen, and never saw their name in writing. If my friend spelled his name "Tzsha'ad" I probably wouldn't realize because I don't think I've ever seen him write his name and I assume it's spelled "Chad".

Out of all the people I know who are called Kathleen, I haven't seen all of their names written down - only some - so you're probably right about that. Out of curiosity I asked my mother and grandmother how to pronounce "Caitlin" - My grandmother said "Kathleen" and my mother said "Kate-lin"...I was wondering if I was the only one pronouncing it incorrectly, but it seems not.

I've always assumed it was Kate-Lyn until the TV show, which grated.... You've made my day! (I'm also very disappointed about the muppets,)

Anyway, worst surname: Qorgyle, is the Q silent? I get confused with Qs without Us...Qyburn's bad enough. And i have the unshakable urge to pronouce Yronwood as Wyeonwood or Yonwood...

Shagwell just makes me think of Austin Powers.

Marq Piper makes me think of Potatoes...

But Rennifer and Aurane strike me as very girlie sounding men's names...

I don't understand people saying that some names are stupid only because they exist in real world languages. Try to create several hundred orginal and cool names that way that they don't exist in any of several thousand Earth languages ... And if some author does so people say " I don't like this names, they are just strange".

Speaking of Irish names I find it stupid that names such as Tully and Donnel exist when gaelic does not in westeros.

We don't know if the Gaelic language family existed in their history or not - lots of people with those names in countries where nobody has ever spoken a Gaelic language.

Remember that nobody is speaking English in the series, though there are lots of names that have obvious English (and other real-world language) origins. The Common tongue of Westeros might be anything. If my theory that the series is set in the future is true, then it would stand to reason that whatever language the colonists initially spoke would have evolved into something drastically different over the last 12,000 years or so, though some things like names might persist relatively unchanged because they are passed down through the generations.

Out of all the people I know who are called Kathleen, I haven't seen all of their names written down - only some - so you're probably right about that. Out of curiosity I asked my mother and grandmother how to pronounce "Caitlin" - My grandmother said "Kathleen" and my mother said "Kate-lin"...I was wondering if I was the only one pronouncing it incorrectly, but it seems not.

By the way, I hope you don't take offense to my asking if you were really Irish. I think there are more Americans who claim to be Irish than there are actual Irishmen, so nine times out of ten when someone says they are Irish, that means they have some Irish ancestry in their family tree. Both my parents were children of 1st or 2nd generation Irish immigrants, so I am 50% Irish, but I don't consider myself Irish, or German, or Creek, or African-American, or anything other than a mutt.

Archived