Dumbest names in the series?

Reginald blackfield

By the way, I hope you don't take offense to my asking if you were really Irish. I think there are more Americans who claim to be Irish than there are actual Irishmen, so nine times out of ten when someone says they are Irish, that means they have some Irish ancestry in their family tree. Both my parents were children of 1st or 2nd generation Irish immigrants, so I am 50% Irish, but I don't consider myself Irish, or German, or Creek, or African-American, or anything other than a mutt.

Oh no, no offense taken at all. :)

I tried tracing my family tree once to see if there was anything other than Irish, but nope it seems none of my ancestors were very adventurous!

All the names in Essos, especially around slavers bay. Cant keep them apart. All the people Dany talks to in ADWD...

:agree:

Very much, it is one of the main reasons I want her to hurry up in getting to westeros. I love the story but I am getting sick of names like ho zap zippy kaka ding dang and so forth

I don't understand people saying that some names are stupid only because they exist in real world languages. Try to create several hundred orginal and cool names that way that they don't exist in any of several thousand Earth languages ... And if some author does so people say " I don't like this names, they are just strange".

Personally, I don't think the names are stupid or dumb, I just find them odd when they are used alongside the invented names. For example, the Baratheon brothers. Two have made-up names, one does not, and so Robert sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Especially when you consider we have characters with names that are made up variations of Robert (Robar, Robard). I don't have a problem with the name Robert, I just don't care for it as a brother to Stannis (variation of Stanley) and Renly (variation of ...Henry?).

Kate-lyn doesn't make much sense if her nickname is Cat IMHO.

Nicknames don't have to be based on a given name, and they don't appear to be in the Tully family - Lysa's nickname/petname was Tansy. I had a friend growing up named Jerilyn, her nickname was Cat. I knew another girl named Tiffany, but called Ralphie. Cat-lyn doesn't make sense with that e in there, especially if the author says Cate-lyn.

Nicknames don't have to be based on a given name, and they don't appear to be in the Tully family - Lysa's nickname/petname was Tansy.

No, tansy is the abortion drug that Hoster gave Lysa, that's why he was saying "tansy" while he was in his deathbed.

This thread is blowing my mind. I'm learning so much. I actually think Grover, Kermit, and Elmo are hilarious. Im a huge fan of the muppets (They are all called Muppets btw, even the ones on Seasame street. Muppet was Hensons variation on puppet).

I like hearing about how others pronounce things. I always said Catelyn like Kate-lyn, until the show came along. And I always thought Aenus was pronounced like anus, and thus the worst name. I like the names that are slight variants of real world names. I have a hard time with all the Targayens and the Essosi.

Speaking of Irish names I find it stupid that names such as Tully and Donnel exist when gaelic does not in westeros.

Not knowing much about Irish or Gaelic, does Tully have a meaning?

Tull is customs in Scandinavian languages and also means nonsense in Northern dialect.

Rhaenys, Rhaena, Rhaenyra: all I know is at least couple of Rhae-s were in the dance of dragons. :/

Plus, add Rhaegar, Rhaella, Rhaelle etc etc.

Makes you want to eat the book pages.

Sometimes Grrm just seems to realize he's got a bunch if characters with the same name and goes back and changes one letter on each name. :B

I am actually fine with all the names from Slavers Bay. I got used to those after a couple of reads, but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the bloody Rhae-s

Not knowing much about Irish or Gaelic, does Tully have a meaning?

Tull is customs in Scandinavian languages and also means nonsense in Northern dialect.

Tully means devoted to the will of God in the Irish language, similar to how Catelyn is very devout. It can also mean peaceful.

I think the names in general are great. I really hate "Sansa" though - maybe that is because in my native tongue there is a very similar word and it

is the hilarious version of "fat belly"... It just sounds so odd, especially for THIS character, who's so princessy and pretty...

And I don't like the choice of Sam. The name by itself is fine, but its just too LOTRingish to just copy the name of a main character there,

and they even play a similar role and look quite the same - thats just stupid

Archived