Dumbest names in the series?

Reginald blackfield

I always cringed when I read "Kettleblack." That's my least favorite proper noun in the entire series, but don't ask me why because I don't know.

Also, Dolorous (Edd) is a woman's name, just spelled differently. GRRM must have been watching Seinfeld when he came up with that one.

As a side note, I really get a kick out of Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun.

This. Oh My GOD this. I always thought I was alone, but I hate reading Kettleblack. Ugh, even typing it feels wrong lol.

Cat as a nickname for Catherine doesn't make much sense from a pronunciation standpoint. Cath, sure, but Cat???

I have several friends named Catherine or a variant of. They go by, respectively, Kat, Kate, and Catie.

GRRMs tendency to change names like Martin to Martyn, throwing a y in the middle of a name doesn't make it any cooler.

Clearly you haven't named a baby recently. Adding one y makes it 10x cooler, two makes it 100x cooler! Youall really need to go look at some of the more popular baby names. You'll cringe, you'll gasp, you'll ponder the breeding public's understanding of what exactly letters do. I'm just thankful none of the characters are named Renesmee.

Can't believe I forgot the Kettleblacks...Oswell,Osmund,Osfryd and Osney

They're so bad I just call the all Os.

I have far less of a problem with Kettleblack than Kettleback, which for some reason is how i read it until i got to this board.

I also never connect Aenys with Anus. The "ys" always makes more of an "ees" sound to me, so I read it "aye-nees"

I have far less of a problem with Kettleblack than Kettleback, which for some reason is how i read it until i got to this board.

I also never connect Aenys with Anus. The "ys" always makes more of an "ees" sound to me, so I read it "aye-nees"

That doesn't really work with the known Targ names like DaenerYS, ViserYS etc

Then again I suppose I never found this strange as my language has got an ae sound. I pronounce ae as the middle of words like fair, bear, pair, as opposed to hey, gray, clay etc

Dany.

I mean, why give a character an awesome and unique name like Daenerys and then call her DANY?!

^This reminds me of Starwars prequel when everyone was going around calling Kid Darth Vader "Annie."

Their motto is even dumber than their names: Though All Men Do Despise Us

House Codd's motto is one of the best! They give no f*cks. It may as well say: "WE DON"T CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF US" That's inherently badass. Plus they are a noble house descended from thralls, so props.

Shitmouth and Pisswater bend .

"Ser used to call me Shitmouth" Shitmouth is also an awesome name. It makes me smile. As a fellow curse word enthusiast I can't be mad about this. GRRM actually cusses so little in these books this is a nice tip of the hat.

That doesn't really work with the known Targ names like DaenerYS, ViserYS etc

Then again I suppose I never found this strange as my language has got an ae sound. I pronounce ae as the middle of words like fair, bear, pair, as opposed to hey, gray, clay etc

Huh? The 'ys' in both of those names are pronounced 'ees' aren't they?

The show really doesn't help the pronunciation conundrum, either, with everyone saying Daenerys and Viserys with an "iss" at the end, yet half the characters saying Aerys with an "eez" at the end and Arya saying Rhaenys with an "eez" at one point. Could they not have decided on a proper pronunciation for these names so there'd be more consistency? It's not like they didn't have the author who created the names on hand to help them sort it out.

Archived