Weirdest mis-pronounciation you've made

H.P.

Well Cersei the name is a nod to Circe of Greek mythology, which was actually pronounced "Kir-keh" in the original Greek.

So we all wrong.

I never knew that. Thanks!

KIRKE (or Circe) was a goddess pharmakeia (witch or sorceress) who lived with her nymph attendants on the mythical island of Aiaia. She was skilled in the magic of metamorphosis, the power of illusion, and the dark art of necromancy.

Robert Strong much?

R'hllor is Rah-hole-ah isn't it? It is in my head anyway.

Yronwood as Yern-wood

Mya- My-Ah

Lys as Lees and Lysene as Lees-een (like teen)

Aegon as AY-gone (like its gone somewhere)

Myr as Murr

Meereen as Marine (although that could just be my lazy aussie accent not wanting to stretch out the "eeee" sound

I always assumed Damphair was obvious as well as the hard G in Gendry.

R'hllor is Rah-hole-ah isn't it? It is in my head anyway.

Yronwood as Yern-wood

Mya- My-Ah

Lys as Lees and Lysene as Lees-een (like teen)

Aegon as AYE-gone (like its gone somewhere)

Myr as Murr

Meereen as Marine (although that could just be my lazy aussie accent not wanting to stretch out the "eeee" sound

I always assumed Damphair was obvious as well as the hard G in Gendry.

I read it as "AY gone" and still do. As far am I'm considered, Egg is as appropriate a nickname for Aegon as Ned is for Eddard.

I read it as "AY gone" and still do. As far am I'm considered, Egg is as appropriate a nickname for Aegon as Ned is for Eddard.

Oops this is what I meant. Silly kids disctracting me. I will change it now. Lol. I thought Egg was just as good as Ned for a nickname too. Sort of like Dick for Richard

Oops this is what I meant. Silly kids disctracting me. I will change it now. Lol. I thought Egg was just as good as Ned for a nickname too. Sort of like Dick for Richard

No need to change anything. First impressions are first impressions. And "Tyrone" is a more familiar name to us, I assume, than Tyrion. Because who knows anyone named Tyrion besides the Imp? :/

soo what I got from this thread

cersei is NOT pronounced ser-say ? are you sure?

I'm pretty sure George pronounces it "ser-see." Everyone on the show does. And I think the name was derived from Circe, the Greek goddess, which is pronounced "ser-see" (in English). So yes, I'd say it's supposed to be "ser-see," not "ser-say."

I once called Jaime the Prince that was Promised by mistake.

For Arya, I was picturing the "Are-yuh Underfoot" thing being said as a question to her, like when you almost tripped over her you'd say as a greeting, "Are-yuh Underfoot? Yes you are! And well met!" But that's not required. It could as easily be Ar-ee-uh Underfoot.

Arya is "Ar-ya" quite literally.

"Yronwood." I only too recently realized the phonetic is "Ironwood," which was pretty dumb :blushing: .

I pronounced that like the Y in Ymir. So it came out sounding like "Yih-ronwood"

Welp. rip me.

Yes! I pronounced Damphair as Damfair until I heard GRRM saying it, haha!

Har im guilty of this. im like "Damp Hair. omg im a potato."

"Lys" reads like "Lees" to me, not "Lice"...

Ser-see-eye for Cersei.

Show calls it Lees. :dunno:

Oddly enough, i pronounced most of the names in the series correctly. I did have a time where Aegon sounded close to Egon Spengler :P Now hes Ay-gon.

Archived