Wheel of Time?

Ned the Living

Dude, if this is bothering you, you should quit the internet right now.

I love how the internet has just become a haven for the asshole. "You don't like being insulted??? Get off the internet then!" Pretty pathetic.

I mean, look at that original response - the 'lazy and/or stupid' one. Can you imagine being in a real world situation with actual people, maybe you're at a comic book store with a section in the back that has older X-Men issues and a group sitting at a table discussing them, then some poor new guy walks into the store and asks the guy up front what he thinks about the older X-Men stuff? Could you picture being an actual person who would look at this new guy and say, "Are you too lazy or stupid to look through the store first to see if anyone else is already talking about it?" Anyway, this board is shit for thinking like that, so I'll drop it. Just always strikes me as rude as fuck is all.

As for WoT, it's a great series. Definitely one that struggles in a few books, but now that it's all done and you don't have to wait for the next one, I think it's easier to just power through the slow ones. I'd really only say 10 is slow the whole way through, the other 'slow' ones at least have big payoffs. I think the worldbuiiding in WoT is the best in the genre, and I loved how many different groups/factions were at play in everything. If you find that you enjoy reading about the world, then all of the books will be big fun.

Huge fan of Wheel of Time.

I would encourage you to continue reading it. Sanderson saved the series, and book 12 and book 14 are great (probably my favorites after book 5). Books 11 and 13 are quite acceptable and far better than the abominations (book 9 and book 10).

Anyway, it is a very enjoyable journey and I don't think that I got hooked on any book series as much as in WoT.

I guess most of us are just tired to discuss the topic when every few weeks a new topic on WoT pops up, saying something like "hey guys, I've finished my 42 Ice and Fire reread and wanted to try something new. Is WoT worth reading?"

I really do like the WoT books as well. Okay, the prose and the storytelling isn't the best, the characters are mostly really bad and there are huge logic-gaps in their actions, but I like them still.

If you read through older topics on WoT you will find out that the opinions on the books are really far apart.

I love how the internet has just become a haven for the asshole. "You don't like being insulted??? Get off the internet then!" Pretty pathetic.

I mean, look at that original response - the 'lazy and/or stupid' one. Can you imagine being in a real world situation with actual people, maybe you're at a comic book store with a section in the back that has older X-Men issues and a group sitting at a table discussing them, then some poor new guy walks into the store and asks the guy up front what he thinks about the older X-Men stuff? Could you picture being an actual person who would look at this new guy and say, "Are you too lazy or stupid to look through the store first to see if anyone else is already talking about it?" Anyway, this board is shit for thinking like that, so I'll drop it. Just always strikes me as rude as fuck is all.

As for WoT, it's a great series. Definitely one that struggles in a few books, but now that it's all done and you don't have to wait for the next one, I think it's easier to just power through the slow ones. I'd really only say 10 is slow the whole way through, the other 'slow' ones at least have big payoffs. I think the worldbuiiding in WoT is the best in the genre, and I loved how many different groups/factions were at play in everything. If you find that you enjoy reading about the world, then all of the books will be big fun.

We've already talked about mean people on the Internet.

If you used the goddamn search function you'd know that.

We've already talked about mean people on the Internet.

If you used the goddamn search function you'd know that.

Ok, that deserves a slow clap.

Anyway, I've heard RJ's last book was good and then Sanderson carried the momentum from there. Here's what really bugged me, though. Winter's Heart broke me in its "payoff". There are going to be spoilers here, and I'm too lazy and stupid to look up the spoiler tags, so stop reading. We had Rand and Nynaeve predisposed and basically all of the living Forsaken attack. The boogeymen of the series, they'd been built up and built up and they just get swatted away like flies by some tertiary characters with relative ease. It's like, well ok then, Tarmon Gaidon won, evil might as well pack up. Josephine Blow Sedai and Nobody McSea Folk can link up and take out one of the Dark One's generals. Game over. SOOOOO anticlimactic in that regard.

Ok, that deserves a slow clap.

Anyway, I've heard RJ's last book was good and then Sanderson carried the momentum from there. Here's what really bugged me, though. Winter's Heart broke me in its "payoff". There are going to be spoilers here, and I'm too lazy and stupid to look up the spoiler tags, so stop reading. We had Rand and Nynaeve predisposed and basically all of the living Forsaken attack. The boogeymen of the series, they'd been built up and built up and they just get swatted away like flies by some tertiary characters with relative ease. It's like, well ok then, Tarmon Gaidon won, evil might as well pack up. Josephine Blow Sedai and Nobody McSea Folk can link up and take out one of the Dark One's generals. Game over. SOOOOO anticlimactic in that regard.

One of Rand's defenders was stronger than any Forsaken bar Ishamael (who didn't fight) and probably Demandred. With the talisman she had, she was significantly stronger than Cyndane and so was able to contain her.

On the other fights, the defenders were linked. We also know that the Forsaken didn't knew that the attack was happening so they didn't had tactics and communication between them. Some of them weren't even that interested for the fight and were there only because of the fear of Ishamael. On the other side, all Rand's defenders were willing to give their life there, were already linked (and we saw that even weak channelers who are linked can cause a lot of damage), had talismans with them which increase their power and had a coordinated strategy. Their mission was to handle everything thrown at them regardless of consequences.

If Forsaken would have had some minutes to coordinate then obviously they would have won. But they had to act fast and when they arrived there, Rand's team was waiting for them and obviously were far more than the Forsaken.

It was a very good fight and a believable one.

I liked them. Granted I started reading them in 1990 at the age of 14. I'm probably one of the few people who didn't hate Crossroads of Twilight, hey it had Mat in it and that was good enough for me. I think Path of Daggers was the book I liked the least. I think that one had way way too much Elayne, if I'm remembering correctly.

I had issues with WOT and like others got frustrated at times, but overall I'd say I'm still a fan. A lot of people hate on WOT, no biggie, people's opinions differ. I myself hate on Terry Goodkind and his Sword of Truth junk that rips other authors off pretty blatently, fans of that series call me a hater.

I just finished the sixth book, Lord of Chaos but I'm going to have to take a break from the series. They're ok but from what you folks are saying I'll need to distract myself for a while before diving back in. Are the first six books really the best ones? If so I might have to rethink reading the whole series. There are parts I like but they're also filled with long tedious passages involving characters I'm not that invested in.

I just finished the sixth book, Lord of Chaos but I'm going to have to take a break from the series. They're ok but from what you folks are saying I'll need to distract myself for a while before diving back in. Are the first six books really the best ones? If so I might have to rethink reading the whole series. There are parts I like but they're also filled with long tedious passages involving characters I'm not that invested in.

Group 1 (awesome): Books 5, 12, 1 and 14

Group 2 (great): Books 4, 3, 2, 6

Group 3 (ok): Books 7, 8, 13, 0 (prequel) and 11

Group 4 (awful): Books 9 and 10

My opinion of course (and tried to sort them within the group too).

I struggled only on books 9 and 10. The others went fast with Fires of Heaven being easily my favorite.

Group 1 (awesome): Books 5, 12, 1 and 14

Group 2 (great): Books 4, 3, 2, 6

Group 3 (ok): Books 7, 8, 13, 0 (prequel) and 11

Group 4 (awful): Books 9 and 10

My opinion of course (and tried to sort them within the group too).

I struggled only on books 9 and 10. The others went fast with Fires of Heaven being easily my favorite.

Funny, I thought of Fires of Heaven as the worst. I really hated it. But to each their own...

Archived