Tyrion and Sansa will be King and Queen

chrisdaw

Why do so many people want to force that pretty young girl back into bed with that ugly troll?

He's not Peter Dinklage in the books and is a very damaged guy.

Is she supposed to be a reward for his suffering? Is that why this keeps coming up?

And neither the books or the series directly follow the history of the War for the Roses. It's inspired by but not a direct lifting of history.

No, she's not supposed to be a reward. And I'm aware that Tyrion is neither Peter Dinklage, nor the virtual saint from the TV show. He is not one of my favourites and I actually feel he is overhyped because the TV show.

However I, like many others I am sure just want to see Sansa be safe and with someone who at the very least would treat her with kindness and respect. Even book Tyrion would fit that category.

I could see Tyrion looking to get his unconsummated marriage to Sansa annulled for no reason other than for her benefit without him looking to gain anything for himself out of it.

Sure, of course.
There is no reason for Tyrion to hold upright to marriage to a woman who does not want him and who would simply prefer to live elsewhere. So if the two protagonists do not both actively decide to stay together they won't, it's as easy as that.
But I still think it is possible they might be together in the end. And it is possible they might not. Ruling out that Martin intends to write his story the one or other way would be entirely premature.

Like Chrisdaw, I think Tyrion might be king in the end (he is an outsider for that; explained below) and if that is Martin's intention, then Sansa as his queen makes sense. A king needs a queen to have legitimate offspring and a queen is generally expected to be highborn (not even Egg would let his son be king if he married a commoner).

None of the eligible girls/women would be thrilled by the idea of marrying an ugly dwarf, so they might just as well continue the existing marriage rather than go through the effort of getting it annulled and then forcing another girl into a marriage she doesn't want. Especially if secession is still on the agenda in the north; getting Stark and Tully blood into the heir of the king would be a boost (a Dornish girl would be an alternative, I suppose, if the danger of Dornish secession is greater than the danger of northern secession).

Unlike Chrisdaw though, I don't think Tyrion would take the throne on his own, in a three-way Lannister affair with Cersei and Jaime in opposing and supporting roles, respectively. 

The reason I think Tyrion may have a shot at becoming king is that I think he will be a dragonrider and likely also be believed by Dany and her entourage to be a bastard son of king Aerys II. As long as Dany has no children and if Aegon is considered to be a fraud, then she would have ample reason to name Tyrion as her heir (and legitimise him as a Targ) until she does get a son or daughter of her own. AFAIK we're still not sure if Dany can get children. 

In my view, the story seems to go toward a confrontation between Dany and Aegon (second dance of dragons?) and then a meeting and probably alliance between Jon and Dany. If Dany will have any offspring it is likely to come from a pairing between the latter two (they are by far the main candidates for the throne, apart or together, and some of Dany's prophetic imagery in the House of the Undying suggest she may come to love him - and I doubt that she will have children with Hizdahr or Victarion or Euron), but with Jon quite possibly having been resurrected (what would that do to his fertility?) and Dany's fertility already in question since late AGOT, it is possible that they could not get children. It is also possible one or both die, before the end. And if Dany dies, I could see Jon sticking to his original oaths even after the Others are defeated. If Jon dies, I could see Dany calling it quits on the Iron Throne, especially if she is having trouble keeping her subjects in line, still being perceived as a foreign invader by many Westerosi? Then again, she could also come down with blood and fire on any opponents and forge the reforms Egg couldn't. Even so, she needs children of her own or she needs to name an undisputed heir (a heir with a dragon is harder to dispute than one without).

While Jon and/or Dany remain the clear favourites for the throne in the end, IMO there are quite some ways in which Martin could write it so that Tyrion ends up as the heir. And if he is, then his marriage will suddenly become very important for the realm. 

Regarding Sansa's side of the story, she would not be happy with a continued marriage to Tyrion, but getting groomed as queen/lady paramount is a part of her storyline. The idea that Sansa would become queen has been held by many on this forum, though I don't see her in roles that are popular suggestions: as queen of the north (we already have Bran, Rickon  and even Jon to take the equivalent of that role, or certain parts of it) or as queen of Aegon (never understood why so many people see a marriage between a creature of Varys and a protégé of Littlefinger as something either man would allow). Her present marriage is, in my opinion, dismissed too easily as another possible source for that. 

Just throwing my two cents out there.

There are two possible parallels to Edward of Lancaster: Joffrey and Tyrion. The Edward/Joffrey parallel is more obvious, for reasons stated previously. The issue of marriage consummation brings a parallel between Edward and Tyrion. Edward and Anne's marriage was intentionally left consummated so that both parties could back out if need be and have the marriage annulled. Edward died before it came to that. Sansa and Tyrion's marriage has not been consummated and may be annulled by the Faith. But LF's scheming might have Tyrion dead before it comes to that.

I don't see Tyrion and Sansa ruling Westeros, but I can see Tyrion trying to stake some sort of claim to Northern (& Allies) territory and/or lands. Even if Rickon appears, he can try to stake a claim a la Dornish inheritance since Sansa is the oldest heir, although not a son. However, I'd be surprised if this were successful. Perhaps if Tyrion brought the Westerlands - and therefore its wealth - to the Northern Kingdom? Tyrion and Sansa would also likely be villified like their historical counterparts for stealing away the crown from the true heir (Rickon), an ending I'm not very fond of them having.

"To Aegon. What a fortunate fellow. Two sisters, two wives, and three big dragons, what more could a man ask for?"

Cersei and Dany, Tysha and Sansa, when Dany is forced from KL all three dragons will be in the pit.

Archived