Pillars of Eternity - Eat my Cipher!

Relic

Did anyone else kill the flaming God-like dude on the bridge leading into D.B.? He was one of those yellow nameplate dudes whose soul you can touch. His memories included slaughtering villagers while eating an apple or something so i immediately attacked him. He didnt put up much of a fight and no one cared that i killed him. Disappointing result.

The yellow nameplate folks are all kickstarter backers of a certain level (the memorials are another lower level), with the text written by the backers themselves. They have no real connection to actual story or world at all.

I just ignore all of them and pretend they aren't there.

Did anyone else kill the flaming God-like dude on the bridge leading into D.B.? He was one of those yellow nameplate dudes whose soul you can touch. His memories included slaughtering villagers while eating an apple or something so i immediately attacked him. He didnt put up much of a fight and no one cared that i killed him. Disappointing result.

So you killed a guy for something he might have committed in a past life? You monster.

I'm about to start my adventure - but I'm stuck by analysis paralysis. I'm the type of player who always goes for the dialogue checks - int/cha in planescape, taggs speech and science! in New Vegas (the exclamation point is the important bit), persuade in vampire bloodlines etc ... But here I can't figure out what stats are important in that regard. Is it intellect? It looks like that's the "science" type dialogue - but then resolve also seems to be the charisma stat? And perception would be prudent to notice discrepancies in lies told by npcs - but maybe that overlaps with Int?

I need some advice here on what stats (and thus what class) to pick.

I'm about to start my adventure - but I'm stuck by analysis paralysis. I'm the type of player who always goes for the dialogue checks - int/cha in planescape, taggs speech and science! in New Vegas (the exclamation point is the important bit), persuade in vampire bloodlines etc ... But here I can't figure out what stats are important in that regard. Is it intellect? It looks like that's the "science" type dialogue - but then resolve also seems to be the charisma stat? And perception would be prudent to notice discrepancies in lies told by npcs - but maybe that overlaps with Int?

Resolve is the main dialogue check stat. I know because my resolve is something like 12 or 13 and I keep seeing closed conversation options.

Resolve does show up in the conversations the most, but it isn't charisma. It really is more about how strong-willed/sure of yourself you are. There have been some Resolve checks that I've refused to pick because its just doesn't fit my character, there's sometimes some real 'kick the dog' moments; "well, you're sob story sucks. Now give me what I want or I'll hurt you." kind of stuff. Though sometimes it does open up a straight-up more diplomatic approach then you'd otherwise get.

Might, Perception, and Intellect all show up from time to time, but not to the same extent; and I think more often just as flavor. Once and a while they do let you do different things in quests or bypass something, but not to the same extent that Resolve does.

I've never seen constitution or dexterity in dialog, although its possible they play into the scripted action scenes sometimes.

Even if you max out resolve, might, perception, and intellect, and min constitution and dexterity; at least to whatever extent is possible, you still won't have ever dialog option open to you though. There's also dialog dependent on your race, background, class, country, and your skill levels (primarily lore). Though those I think are usually just flavor rather than changing things tangibly.

Huh, so I progressed from level 2 of the Endless Paths to level five and then on to level 6. Did I take a shortcut or am I going to go back up again before I'll be able to reach the lowest level?

Did you

go into the sacrificial pit

instead of taking the stairs to level 3?

If so, I was wondering what that would do; I just took the stairs.

What level are you?

E: you made it to floor 6 so I guess you're good on that count at least.

Sevenish, I think. I also still have both camping supplies, so I'm pretty confident it'll work out. In a worst case scenario I guess I'll just do a lot of save scumming to find the shortest path to the exit.

My lot in life in this game has improved significantly since I swapped out Aloth for Pallegina. She kicks some solid ass.

That said, holy fuck the Searing Falls cave. My party is level 7 and I was not ready.

I really should get rid of Aloth. I've been keeping him around for the simple reason that in a fantasy RPG you just have to have a wizard, but the thing is you really don't in this game.

That cave is fun. Everybody should go there as soon as possible.

I really should get rid of Aloth. I've been keeping him around for the simple reason that in a fantasy RPG you just have to have a wizard, but the thing is you really don't in this game.

I enjoyed his backstory revelations, so I was reluctant to let him pass. Plus, like you, I figured, hey, he's a wizard, you gotta have a wizard. But then getting him new spells is expensive, and he mostly just stands there and dies if anyone looks at him. So... he's hanging out at Caed Nua.

I think one of my favorite things about this game is the way it is so immersive that it sucks you in. I went to add a new chant for Kana and I spent five minutes thinking about something I could name it in the style of the various chants he already does.

I got rid of Aloth as soon as I got Hiravais. Druids are better than Wizards in every single way.

I just finished up the areas past Dryford village, and damn those were some tough fights (at level 6). One optional cave in the first area had the greatest fight I've had in the game thus far though, slightly trumping Raedric

Not a story spoiler

It was a cave full of spiders, and every single one bumrushed me at once. I had to fight I don't even know how many spiders, 40 maybe, in one massive encounter. They kept coming at me in waves, swarming over me if I didn't kill the previous wave fast enough. I had no idea what I was in for, so I'd used all my per encounter abilities up the way I usually do, but they just kept coming. I honestly don't know if it was intentional or some glitch caused them to all see me at once, because I haven't seen any other fight like that, but it was truly epic.

And then the next area had so many fights against groups of 3 or 4 enemies that all have a pretty powerful heal spell, so you need to burst kill them one at a time or they just get regen-ed every time you get them past 'injured.'

My lot in life in this game has improved significantly since I swapped out Aloth for Pallegina. She kicks some solid ass.

That said, holy fuck the Searing Falls cave. My party is level 7 and I was not ready.

I only won that fight thanks to Kana. All hail his AoE Charm and the low Will save of drakes and xaurips! But then again, I really just stumbled into it, had I wiped I would have used consumables and such.

Also, @ Jon AS,

If you fell down from the sacrificial pit, you have to clear the level until you get to the master staircase. Ironically, level 5 is actually easier than level 3 which houses big bad Ogres and their supremely annoying druids.

Speaking of which, I now have an Ogre guarding my stronghold. Try to get in there now, silly bandits! he does give a big hit to Prestige, but eh, who cares. I would pay to see the face of any dignitary approaching Caed Nua.

P.S. So, does playing as a priest of Eothas or a cipher give some extra dialogue/roleplaying opportunities? Like, there are some NPC characters, for whom it should be a big deal, no?

It's mostly roleplaying opportunities - I've seen several special dialogue options specific to Eothas, including two quest resolutions (one peaceful, one that instigates a fight), and a couple conversations with NPCs. There are alternate ways of getting the same results, and the effect on the NPCs is pretty limited (for now, at least; I'm hoping that it becomes a bigger issue in the future, especially with two NPCs in particular), so I wouldn't say you get a completely different playthrough... but it definitely helps shape the story and your roleplaying experience.

More importantly, though, some priest powers are tied to reputations, which in fact are derived from your dialogue choices. So not only do you get special dialogues based on your particular religion, your religion also helps shape your dialogue choices (if you want to; you can decide to roleplay as a bad priest who's lost his faith if you're willing to accept the penalty).

So again - I'm just flabbergasted by the experience. A cRPG that emphasizes the roleplaying aspect of it - who woulda thunk it?

Od Nua is great, just finished level 5. So far I'd rank the floors 5>3>2>1>4.

The drake was pretty cool (and tough). I'm guessing there'll be a full blown dragon at some point later on.

In that last fight my paladin died immediately, after being swamped by all the xaurips. I then had Edér tanking everything and Durance just going through his healing spells trying to keep him alive, while Kana+Sagani+Aloth tried to wear down the group.

By the end of the fight Edér, Aloth and Sagani were also down, I had Kana trying to tank the drake and me trying desperately not to burn through Durance's few remaining heals.

Eventually won because of Kana's phantom. Jesus.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: apparently, you can become stuck in Raedric's keep - both the structure itself and the map it is on, which is a pretty serious bug. It seems connected to climbing the walls, trying to disguise yourself, and failing the subsequent Int checks, though nothing is known for sure.

There are workarounds if it happens, but I'd suggest entering through the moat, looting the dungeon (there is some really good stiff there), travelling back to the Guilded Vale and creating a regular save, just to be sure to be able to have a to continue elsewhere if the bug does strike.

It didn't hit me, but I passed all the Int checks, or maybe I was lucky. As always save early, save often, rotate the slots.

The best is a ring I bought for 6k in Gilded Vale, it gives +1 Might, +1 Constitution, +1 Resolve, and Second Chance. That's absurdly good that early on.

Who sells it? I can't find it.

I got rid of Aloth as soon as I got Hiravais. Druids are better than Wizards in every single way.

Not to disagree with you about the Druids, as my PC is absolutely wrecking it, but Aloth's Slicken is immensly useful. His other spells, well, IMHO the main problem is that their casting range is not evident from the description and a lot of them are pretty short-ranged. And there is seldom an opportunity for him to use cone-type spells. So, you have to pick and scribe (and pay for it) blindly and spell's usefulness is only revealed once you can test it. That could have been done better, IMHO.

It is a bit disappointing that there is no more distinct role-playing for Eothasian priests, even in the quests directly connected to their faith or with companions particularly concerned with the religious conflict. I mean, you'd be subject to the purges, if revealed, there should be "subtrefuge" options in most dialogues. Options to secretly give last rites to the murdered Eothasians, etc. Ditto ciphers, to the lesser degree. Yea, I know, extra work. But it would have exploded my WSoD and damaged my experience of the game to play as one and not have this stuff.

Public service announcement: apparently, you can become stuck in Raedric's keep - both the structure itself and the map it is on, which is a pretty serious bug. It seems connected to climbing the walls, trying to disguise yourself, and failing the subsequent Int checks, though nothing is known for sure.

There are workarounds if it happens, but I'd suggest entering through the moat, looting the dungeon (there is some really good stiff there), travelling back to the Guilded Vale and creating a regular save, just to be sure to be able to have a to continue elsewhere if the bug does strike.

It didn't hit me, but I passed all the Int checks, or maybe I was lucky. As always save early, save often, rotate the slots.

Who sells it? I can't find it.

Not to disagree with you about the Druids, as my PC is absolutely wrecking it, but Aloth's Slicken is immensly useful. His other spells, well, IMHO the main problem is that their casting range is not evident from the description and a lot of them are pretty short-ranged. And there is seldom an opportunity for him to use cone-type spells. So, you have to pick and scribe (and pay for it) blindly and spell's usefulness is only revealed once you can test it. That could have been done better, IMHO.

It is a bit disappointing that there is no more distinct role-playing for Eothasian priests, even in the quests directly connected to their faith or with companions particularly concerned with the religious conflict. I mean, you'd be subject to the purges, if revealed, there should be "subtrefuge" options in most dialogues. Options to secretly give last rites to the murdered Eothasians, etc. Ditto ciphers, to the lesser degree. Yea, I know, extra work. But it would have exploded my WSoD and damaged my experience of the game to play as one and not have this stuff.

I think it was the armorer in Gilded Vale. I could be wrong though. I know I had it before Defiance Bay though so I'm not sure where else I could have bought it, I know I bought it because I remember thinking it was a steal for 6k.

I'm not sure if I even have Slicken on Aloth. The thing is though, Druids have multiple foe-only AOE attacks, whereas I'm not sure Wizards have any. Also they have greater survivability, so I feel more comfortable getting him into a flanking position to use a cone-spell. And I don't rest-spam. I only camp in dungeons when it makes sense (found a hard-to-see alcove for instance) and I don't retreat to the nearest inn; which means I do need to worry about saving spells and such. When Aloth's out, he's nearly useless, when Hiravias is out, he can still transform and mess enemies up.

Although, right now I don't have either in my party since I wanted to try out Sagani some more and Grieving Mother. I'm still not sure about Sagani, but holy shit ciphers are awesome, I get now what everyone was talking about. So even though I'm not the biggest fan of her character, I think Grieving Mother has found a permanent place in my party.

There are quite few places like that, where it seems like more roleplaying options should be available. I think its only so noticeable because there already are so many dialog options, so it stands out more when there should be something to say and you can't. I understand why they didn't, with so many possible backgrounds it would take a crazy amount of work and they only had $4 million to do everything, but its a missed opportunity. Not to say that it never comes up, because it certainly does sometimes; just not as often as it should. As an Old Valian, I've wished quite a few times for some special dialog to say these upstart Valian Republic citizens, but its never come up.

I've heard that the most glaring though is Godlike characters. They should really be treated like a world-apart from any other character, but aren't at all. They even get asked the same questions near the start about whether they've ever had a child, even though the lore explicitly states that all Godlike are sterile.

Archived