College Basketball 2015 - 2016: Wherein we forget that last season ever happened

Rhom

Uggh, another off season injury. This World University Games is turning into a nightmare, but I'm still really looking forward to the first game on Friday. Carlton Bragg broke his nose in practice today, Devonté Graham tore a quad during practice a few weeks ago, and Brannen Greene is out after hip surgery to repair a torn labrum from last season. Plus Svi, Diallo, and Coleby can't play because they weren't born in the US, so while I'm sure the extra practice will help in the long run, the team we'll be putting on the court won't look anything like the team we put out there in November.

I despise it. So much more difficult to navigate the site now. Just finding scores can be a chore.

I am now actively avoiding and taking (most of) my clicks somewhere else.

Uggh, another off season injury. This World University Games is turning into a nightmare, but I'm still really looking forward to the first game on Friday. Carlton Bragg broke his nose in practice today, Devonté Graham tore a quad during practice a few weeks ago, and Brannen Greene is out after hip surgery to repair a torn labrum from last season. Plus Svi, Diallo, and Coleby can't play because they weren't born in the US, so while I'm sure the extra practice will help in the long run, the team we'll be putting on the court won't look anything like the team we put out there in November.

I was pretty glad that Briscoe took a minor concussion and was unable to play in the U19 games.

Watching the WUGs now (a little behind the broadcast). I like the short shot clock. Turkey is pretty big (and they look really old), and they're shooting the three pretty well. It's weird how quiet it is, but I don't think the crowd is not in it (lot's of cheers for Turkey too) I think it's just how it is mic'd. I knew the production values weren't going to be what I have grown accustomed to, but I am a little shocked that they aren't using better graphics. I was kind of hoping we would get The Ocho's crew announcing, but sadly, no.

I was pretty glad that Briscoe took a minor concussion and was unable to play in the U19 games.

Concussion though? That's never good.

ETA: They said the average age for Turkey is 24 - players are only eligible this year if they were born after 1/1/1990. :lol:

I'm really enjoying the international rules in the WUG. I haven't watched much international ball in the past, but it's amazing how quick the game flows. No scheduled tv timeouts is fucking awesome! A lot of the new rules next season are trending this way (although, not nearly as dramatically), so if you're interested our next game starts in 45 minutes. It's against Serbia, and they are apparently a very experienced team. In our pod, they are the team that was supposed to give us the most trouble, so it might be a very competitive game.

And a nice funny link.

Memphis junior forward Austin Nichols, easily their best returning player, has made public his intention to transfer from the school and asked for his release. For what it's worth, Josh Pastner has put his gosh darn foot down and refused the request for release, though I find it unlikely that will sway Nichols into changing his mind.

Provided he does leave, it's a massive blow for their program and a great opportunity for some other team to pick up a big with legit offensive skills.

How much longer does Pastner have? I wouldn't have been surprised if he had got the axe this past season. He seat surely must be getting warm; which probably explains why he doesn't want to let Nichols go. I also read that Nichols broke up with a 3 year girlfriend and that's why he wants a change of scenery, and Pastner was trying to hold off the decision to give him some perspective. Who know though.

How much longer does Pastner have? I wouldn't have been surprised if he had got the axe this past season. He seat surely must be getting warm; which probably explains why he doesn't want to let Nichols go. I also read that Nichols broke up with a 3 year girlfriend and that's why he wants a change of scenery, and Pastner was trying to hold off the decision to give him some perspective. Who know though.

Most Tiger fans gave him a pass the first several years, and it looked like he was gaining a little momentum after they had a decent year the first season in the American. But last year was an unmitigated disaster in terms of results and fan apathy, so even some die hard Pastner supporters are now very skeptical. Losing Nichols will erode fan equity not only because he's a native Memphian, but also a white kid from Briarcrest (shouldn't matter, but in this city it absoutely does) who turned down Duke among others to stay home and play for the Tigers. Even if his leaving is due to the breakup, Pastner will be the scapegoat for many fans.

Pastner is hanging on right now for two reasons. First, the Lawson kids who have been touted as the saviors of the program for a couple of years will both come in as freshmen this fall. If they fail to deliver at least a Sweet Sixteen, that hot seat will reach critical mass. Second, firing JP remains tough for the school financially due to his ridiculous no-buyout contract that runs through 2020 (!!!!!). That said, if the program's popularity craters for the second year in a row I believe they'll bite the bullet.

No buyout through 20/20?? That's insane! Shit, he's got air conditioned seating.

$2.65 million per year too, which I believe still places him in the top 12-15 salaries. So they still owe a coach who's won a grand total of two NCAAT games more than $13 million guaranteed. It boggles the mind.

$2.65 million per year too, which I believe still places him in the top 12-15 salaries. So they still owe a coach who's won a grand total of two NCAAT games more than $13 million guaranteed. It boggles the mind.

Shit how do I get a cushy job like that????

As to the Nichols kid... I thought all white kids were contractually required to go to Duke if Coach K called. :dunno:

Succeed John Calipari? :lol: I still can't quite figure out why they hired Pastner in the first place apart from 1.) coached under Cal for a few years and 2.) good reputation as a recruiter. I mean considering where Cal had that program, it certainly seems they could have hired someone with at least some head coaching experience.

Then they followed up that questionable decision by completely shitting the bed with that extension.

As to the Nichols kid... I thought all white kids were contractually required to go to Duke if Coach K called. :dunno:

It was pretty hilarious when word started spreading around town that Coach K was here to see Nichols at Briarcrest. Folks treating it like a papal visit. :rofl:

There's no way the can fire Pastner with that contract. They have no big time football money to line the coffers, and they're going to have to pony up to keep their promising young football coach (although it's certainly a lost cause, as he'll be gone as soon as he gets the right opportunity.

There's no way the can fire Pastner with that contract. They have no big time football money to line the coffers, and they're going to have to pony up to keep their promising young football coach (although it's certainly a lost cause, as he'll be gone as soon as he gets the right opportunity.

The pipe dream of Memphis fans is that the program's most prominent booster might step in and help soften the blow. I doubt that would happen, though. They are most likely stuck with JP for at least 2 or 3 more years.

You're right about Fuente. Kansas was interested in him last year, but he's got his sights set on a bigger job than that.

Fuck me. I can't say that I ever thought I would be up at 4 in the morning watching live KU basketball. Really good game half way through the second quarter. Lots of back and forth with Russia making a lot of threes, and our defense getting salty here in the second. I really love what most of our players have been showing, and it bodes really well for our prospects this coming season with four really good players not participating. Eight point lead now, but it certainly doesn't feel safe. ETA: 2 min later - now it's tied.

Only if they are 5 star, if they aren't they go to UNC.

Speaking of 5 stars....Dukes 2016 class is looking even better. Tatum even said he has some recruiting to do, would be nice to friends play together.

For a year.

I've been loving KU basketball in July, but the past two days have really screwed with my sleep schedule, so I'm not too disappointed that this is the last game (live now on ESPNU). We've also been playing quite well this morning, jumped out to a 13 pt lead on Germany, and after a couple of fouls they got back to 10, and now it's back to 13 nearing the end of the 1st quarter. After the USA not winning a gold for 10 years, I have to think bringing over a team rather than a group of all-stars will be what they start doing from here on out... but we're also footing the bill because "Team USA" is funding two other teams this summer, and bigger programs will really only be able to do that, so a big factor will be how well the extra practice time enables us to play in season. Both teams look tired, after eight games in nine days. Lots of short shots. We'll see how they hold up as the game progresses, but Germany doesn't look as tough as our past two opponents in Russia and Lithuania.

Archived