College Basketball 2015 - 2016: Wherein we forget that last season ever happened

Rhom

We (Memphis) looked much better tonight than we did all last season. Dedric Lawson is gonna be real good for us. And he's got 3 more brothers behind him, not including the one already on the team.

I didn't think we stood a chance in that game, so I wouldn't have been upset with a loss, but when you're actually IN the game until the very end, losing really, really blows.

I really dislike Briscoe... from the National Anthem on national TV with his "signature" sticking his mouthguard out the side of his mouth, to the player introductions with his mouthguard sticking out the side of his mouth like a punk towards the opponent, to the tip off  with his mouth guard sticking out his mouth like a punk... I noticed when Cal benched him his mouthguard was securely in his mouth.  Ride some bench kiddo until you realize this ain't all about you and you can guard somebody.

I was so excited that due to UVA actually being ranked in the top 10 I get to watch the non-conference games here on the West Coast.  But man, I would rather not have seen that one.

They really need someone other than Brogden to score. Toby had some good moments.  Seemed like the refs were calling a really close game too which doesn't help UVA (not a reason they lost though).

The defense seemed to be missing.  And really without D, what is UVA? That's the thing they really need to get back, I think.

Chumlee is going to eat Skal for breakfast

Did I miss read the sarcasm dripping off of this comment?  Because he's looking like their best player at the end of the first half :stunned:  Every other time I have seen him play he's been somewhere in between "hot garbage" and "a warm body."

I think Briscoe's mouth guard bullshit would piss Calipari off to no end. Usually it's a good thing when players can actually communicate on the court, but Briscoe don't care!  That is selfish basketball.

The number two trending topic on Twitter is Perry Ellis Old Man jokes.  :lol:

One of my favorites I've seen "Are Perry Ellis' social security benefits considered an impermissible benefit by the NCAA?" :lmao:

Happy early Christmas, Izzo.  Wow, just zero toughness exhibited down the stretch by my Jayhawks.  Embarrassing.  I am so ready for Jamari Traylor to graduate, I still cannot comprehend why Self plays him over Mickelson and especially Bragg (nor can I understand why Lucas played over Mickelson and Bragg in the second half), we were so much better when Bragg was in the game.  Hopefully this lights a fire under their collective asses for the tournament next week in Maui.

I'm going to go bang my head against a wall before I go to bed.  :bang:

ETA: It sure would have been nice to see the refs call a hook on Valentine even one of the 12359 times he did it.

Curse of the child....I got to see none of the game last night while trying to get my son to sleep, so I got to wake up to the highlights and final score.  From the little I saw it looked like it was a good game, hoping maybe to catch it this weekend on a replay.

Curse of the child....I got to see none of the game last night while trying to get my son to sleep, so I got to wake up to the highlights and final score.  From the little I saw it looked like it was a good game, hoping maybe to catch it this weekend on a replay.

It was a good game for a bit but then Kentucky ran away from Duke. Allen and Ingram played poorly which didn't help. Hope they continue the trend on Friday.

What the hell is wrong with you as a father?  My son stayed up to the very end and celebrated the win.  This is why Duke fans don't have real passion.  It is not instilled in them from a young age.  I would be willing to foster your son for the 5 months out of the year that is basketball season so he can better learn what it means to be a fan.  I could be the Ned Stark to his Theon Greyjoy.  And ultimately, I'm sure much like Theon he would betray my trust by cheering for the Duke in his blood despite the loving upbringing as a UK fan he would receive.

I was obviously happy with the outcome last night.  The game exposed a few weaknesses in the team that I'm sure will be worked on as the season moved forward... but we got a win anyways.  The perimeter defense we put on display was a sight to behold and I had been worried that it would be a weak point.  It was a pleasant surprise.  Jamal Murray and Tyler Ulis were exactly what I expected them to be, but I was pleasantly surprised with how solid Isaac Humphries was able to play in relief of Skal. 

To say this team will be better than last year's team is obviously ridiculous on the very face of the statement, but I will say that I think this team is better equipped to win in March/April than last year's team.  Primarily due to the strength of the guard play.  I'm excited to watch the ride this season.

After the game was over, I did have to put the five year old to bed... so I missed most of the first half of Kansas/MSU.  I was very surprised to see the Jayhawks give away the lead late.  As always though, Self will do his usual job of building a solid rotation and I can't wait to see how the Cats respond to the challenge of playing in Allen Fieldhouse in February.

I also watched the Memphis/Oklahoma game.  Buddy Heild is actually better than last year.  That's an amazing thing.  I had hoped to see a bit of Steve Prohm's game at Iowa State, but couldn't find it on the tube anywhere. 

Its basketball season!!!!!!!!!

After the game was over, I did have to put the five year old to bed... so I missed most of the first half of Kansas/MSU.  I was very surprised to see the Jayhawks give away the lead late.  As always though, Self will do his usual job of building a solid rotation and I can't wait to see how the Cats respond to the challenge of playing in Allen Fieldhouse in February.

Yeah... if we don't get Diallo cleared, I think the game won't be all that different than last year.  We suck against length right now, and while you don't have all of the seven footers you had last year, you're still a lot longer than we are.  Maybe we only lose by 20.

Yeah... if we don't get Diallo cleared, I think the game won't be all that different than last year.  We suck against length right now, and while you don't have all of the seven footers you had last year, you're still a lot longer than we are.  Maybe we only lose by 20.

That's progress though!  And its at home, so that's worth 3 points.  Maybe you'd only lose by 17!  :D

All kidding aside, I really am hyped to see UK play true road games at Pawley and Allen Fieldhouse this season. 

I understand why Cal typically doesn't want to waste his time with home-homes in the off season in favor of more tournament atmosphere games like the Champions Classic, but I'm eager to see the Cats play in some legendary venues.

Our "named" opponents coming up are at UCLA on the 3rd, Arizona State at Rupp on the 12, tOSU at the Barclay's Center on the 19th, and then Louisville at Rupp on the 26th.  That's a great slate of games in December.

And the hits keep coming!

Malik Monk signs with Kentucky.

We now have 3 of the top 10 recruits, and all 5 in the top 40?  After the Duke win and this news I've felt all warm and fuzzy all day.  Really helps with the Football Blues.

All kidding aside, I really am hyped to see UK play true road games at Pawley and Allen Fieldhouse this season. 

I understand why Cal typically doesn't want to waste his time with home-homes in the off season in favor of more tournament atmosphere games like the Champions Classic, but I'm eager to see the Cats play in some legendary venues.

Our "named" opponents coming up are at UCLA on the 3rd, Arizona State at Rupp on the 12, tOSU at the Barclay's Center on the 19th, and then Louisville at Rupp on the 26th.  That's a great slate of games in December.

It's like Christmas in December!  

We now have 3 of the top 10 recruits, and all 5 in the top 40?  After the Duke win and this news I've felt all warm and fuzzy all day.  Really helps with the Football Blues.

It's like Christmas in December!  

Isn't this normal? You've had the first or second best recruiting class for the last 8 years.

Isn't this normal? You've had the first or second best recruiting class for the last 8 years.

It is... And I hope it never gets old!

On a UK message board yesterday discussing this class, a discussion popped up about our status during the dark days of the end of Tubby and into Billy Gillispie.  We reminisced on all the talk that UK had become irrelevant to the recruits of today.  Names like Issel, Riley, Macy, Chapman, and even Mashburn were ancient history to kids of today and all the proud tradition we considered to be so wonderful had no bearing on today.  With the current success we have to point no further back than Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe and the success since.  To legitimately stand at the top of the mountain once again is something we won't take for granted any time soon after that.

Additionally, it was just April of this year that people had proclaimed Calipari's recruiting dead after prospect after prospect chose UNLV, California, and Mississippi State over us.  Uncovering a couple of gems like Murray and Isaac (pronounced I-Zack for some reason) Humphries finished this class out at 1 or 2 (depending on the recruiting service), but there was much hand wringing in the fan base prior to that.  Wrapping this class up in the early period allows him to start on 2017 now.

Its a great time to be alive!

Archived