College Basketball 2015 - 2016: Wherein we forget that last season ever happened

Rhom

Uconn is getting their teeth kicked in early. Trimble is nice and Dicky V is letting me know about it.

Brutal half of basketball. Defensive breakdowns, can't finish by the rim and Diamond stone is killing us(he chose joining terps over us). I did not expect them to come out so badly.

I will admit to giving up on the Fightin' Steve Prohms of Iowa State last night.  They were charging back and looked to be closing the gap... then they started clanging three point tries horribly and were down 8 with two minutes to play.  My son needed to be put to bed, so I turned it off.

Later in the night I saw on the bottom line that they had come back to win, and then this morning I heard about the courtside reporter who got his leg broken during a court storming.

I'm torn on the legitimacy of this court storming.  On the one hand, I'm a firm believer that if you are ranked in the top 5 and you defeat an unranked opponent; storming is not justified.  However, this is a legit rival and they were down 20 points at one point and so far out of it that I turned the game off then came back to win against all odds... I can see the emotion here.  Don't know where I stand on this one.  :dunno:  

I know where Randy Peterson stands on it, oh wait, he can't stand because he had a broken tibia and fibula.

I'm with sperry.

I wonder if this will factor in on the new Big XII rules against court storming, or if that applies only to conference games?

Great UNC-Texas game coming down to the wire. They've been trading blows all day, really fun game so far.

ETA: Holy shit that's close...it counts!! Buzzer-beater!

First big win for Smart and can finally shut up all the talking heads who kept saying that UNC was the best team in the country.  After all the games I've watched thus far, that title tightly belongs to Michigan State.

First big win for Smart and can finally shut up all the talking heads who kept saying that UNC was the best team in the country.  After all the games I've watched thus far, that title tightly belongs to Michigan State.

Oh, but didn't you see that Marcus Paige was fouled on that last play, and Felix's shot shouldn't have counted?  At least that's what they were saying at halftime and after our game.

Speaking of our game, I don't know if Coach Self has ever been as passed off at a first half performance as he was tonight (with very good reason too).  He played eleven players in the first half, and for the first 19 minutes of the second half he played six.  Positions 1-4 did not sub at all, for center Hunter Mickelson started, played 8 minutes, then Bragg came in for about 8 minutes, then Mickelson came back in for about 3.  Then Self flipped off the rotation bench players and sent in the scrubs for the last minute.  I really hope this will foretells the end of Traylor and Lucas playing anything but garbage minutes (they didn't play in our last game either because of "nagging injuries" and we looked much better without them).  I so much prefer our bigs rotation of just Mickelson, Ellis, Bragg, and Diallo.  We were outscored 39-28 in the first half, and outscored them 54-28 in the second.  Fun game, and I was even laughing as the coach's son, Tres Tinkle, went 5-5 from 3 in the first half after having started the year 3-15.  We always seem to have some guy go off against us like that.

UCLA-Gonzaga is a pretty good game right now.  Looking forward to watching some more Jayhawk action as our volleyball team is playing USC in the elite eight.

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ

LSU lost to Houston today. Previously to Marquette, N.C. State and Charleston. And almost to North Florida. With the best player in America.

Parents... if you don't talk to your kids about Johnny Jones, who will? 

Boom! George Washington's #21 in the AP poll, first time in the top 25 in I don't know how long. Certainly since well before I went there. They deserve it too, they've got a great team this year and have had some really nice wins under their belt. Very exciting time for me, I've never rooted for a nationally ranked team before. I think Buffalo's men's soccer team may have been nationally ranked my freshman year there, but I didn't pay much attention to them; only went to a couple games and drank.

Speaking of Buffalo, they bounced back from that horrible road trip last week and beat Binghamton to get back to .500. Slow and steady does it for them. Just need to get to a good seeding for the conference tournament.

Is there an actual news story there that I can't click on for some reason, or is this the twitterization of the media now complete?

I never did find much more than the push notification fromESPN.  Never saw why.

So Ole Miss destroyed a top-100 La Tech team last night. Had a couple of shaky losses early but maybe they've got things figured out now. Moody has been en fuego lately; hope he can keep it up Friday as I'll be in attendance for their game here against Tiger High.

A bit more now... no health issue.  Just decided to up and quit.

So pray tell me... how is this different than Bobby Petrino quitting mid-season on the Falcons?  He gets blasted for that to this day, but no one will call out Ryan on this?

Spurrier got the same forbearance after quitting on South Carolina too.

I guess the difference with Petrino was that he was a rookie NFL coach who didn't even get through one season without bolting. In Ryan and Spurrier's defense, both were the winningest coaches in their sports at those schools when they left, so they get a pass.

So Ole Miss destroyed a top-100 La Tech team last night. Had a couple of shaky losses early but maybe they've got things figured out now. Moody has been en fuego lately; hope he can keep it up Friday as I'll be in attendance for their game here against Tiger High.

Spurrier got the same forbearance after quitting on South Carolina too.

I guess the difference with Petrino was that he was a rookie NFL coach who didn't even get through one season without bolting. In Ryan and Spurrier's defense, both were the winningest coaches in their sports at those schools when they left, so they get a pass.

In regards to Ryan/Spurrier vs Petrino.  One did it to hit the golf course, the other did it to get a job.

In fact, I think I’d honestly say that what Ryan is doing is worse. The Falcons players didn’t like Petrino and he didn’t like them, its no secret. Presumably from all reports, the Badgers players actually like and respect Ryan… he lead them to unprecedented success for their university and helped them to far outpace their expected talent level. Then when signs point to a mediocre season, he quits.

I also strongly suspect that the timing is such that he is positioning his long time assistant to have the best chance at succeeding him. Gaming the system if you will.

Presumably from all reports, the Badgers players actually like and respect Ryan… he lead them to unprecedented success for their university and helped them to far outpace their expected talent level. Then when signs point to a mediocre season, he quits.

Yeah, it's a dick move, for sure. I assumed when I heard the news last night that it'd be health problems or somesuch. Certainly isn't fair to his players otherwise. 

I've seen a lot of speculation that this is his way of giving his longtime assistant (23 years!) Greg Gard a leg up on taking over for him.  He wanted to retire in April, but the AD told him they would likely not hire Gard as head coach, so he's trying to give Gard whatever advantage he can.  Bobby Knight did the same thing at Texas Tech, they then went ahead and hired Pat... and I'm sure they wish they hadn't.  Meat necklace!

I've seen a lot of speculation that this is his way of giving his longtime assistant (23 years!) Greg Gard a leg up on taking over for him.  He wanted to retire in April, but the AD told him they would likely not hire Gard as head coach, so he's trying to give Gard whatever advantage he can.  Bobby Knight did the same thing at Texas Tech, they then went ahead and hired Pat... and I'm sure they wish they hadn't.  Meat necklace!

I kind of figured that was the case from the beginning.  Dirty.  Puts Alvarez at a huge competitive disadvantage.

Wiscy has ZERO recruits signed for 2016 thus far.

Had a great time last night in FedEx Forum watching OM's no-names whip Memphis's roster of top 50 guys for 30 minutes and hold on down the stretch for a nice road W. This is not AK's most talented team by any stretch, but they play hard on defense, fight their asses off for boards and 50/50 balls and shoot just well enough to create separation.

Tiger fans at least performed admirably, solidifying their eternal place atop the buttmad sore loser rankings by bringing football into the equation. No really, they tried their best to sully our enjoyment at the end by catcalling this year's football score. One particularly charming fellow even shouted out "y'all have a hotty toddy CHRISTMAS since y'all took CHRISTMAS away!!!!1!!" Class individuals, as ever. I was rolling. :lol:

Archived