Ser Davos versus Ser Jared Frey

GallowsKnight

nah, davos grew up in flea bottom, like dunk, he mentions it a couple times.

to the question, my bet goes for the frey, davos is practically one-handed for battle purpose, and was given knighthood for being awesome, not for fighting prowess, i imagine jared has some battle training.

Davos lives there now, but grew up in King's Landing. Which is a bit odd, since he lives pretty far to the south, and is yet still a bennerman of Stannis.

Of course! I guess being a smuggler then lord then hand, it didn't matter where he was from originally.

nah, davos grew up in flea bottom, like dunk, he mentions it a couple times.

to the question, my bet goes for the frey, davos is practically one-handed for battle purpose, and was given knighthood for being awesome, not for fighting prowess, i imagine jared has some battle training.

I don't know he has most of his hand. It's tips on 4 fingers of his off hand. It's vastly closer to two hands than one. Davos also recalls fighting as a smuggler on a moving deck and on the Blackwater he's pretty good, goes straight for the enemy captain with confidence and cuts a few men down.

Jared has superior training. But we don't know about practical experience.

I figure on foot Davos has a decent shot. But the advantage is Jared's if horses are involved.

Davos lives there now, but grew up in King's Landing. Which is a bit odd, since he lives pretty far to the south, and is yet still a bennerman of Stannis.

I got the impression he was sworn to Storm's End (or someone in the feudal chain) but was also a Captain in the Royal Navy. So that's why he's with Stannis at the start (as well as his previous interaction with Stannis)

I don't know he has most of his hand. It's tips on 4 fingers of his off hand. It's vastly closer to two hands than one. Davos also recalls fighting as a smuggler on a moving deck and on the Blackwater he's pretty good, goes straight for the enemy captain with confidence and cuts a few men down.

This was the type of well reasoned argument I should of put together.

​Swashbuckling Davos would cut the Riverlander to shreds. :fencing:

Davos also recalls fighting as a smuggler on a moving deck and on the Blackwater he's pretty good, goes straight for the enemy captain with confidence and cuts a few men down.

Wait, Davos storms an enemy ship and slaughters his way through enemy soldiers? I can't recall this, am I missing something?

Davos has experience fighting in the BoBW, and likely has some form of knight's training. Ser Jared fought in Bolton's army, and I on't really know enough of either's melee abilities to come to a conclusion.

However, Davos has access to a special kind of armor that Jared doesn't have, the best kind: plot armor.

Davos has experience fighting in the BoBW, and likely has some form of knight's training. Ser Jared fought in Bolton's army, and I on't really know enough of either's melee abilities to come to a conclusion.

However, Davos has access to a special kind of armor that Jared doesn't have, the best kind: plot armor.

How did that plot armour work out for Ned or Robb?

Wait, Davos storms an enemy ship and slaughters his way through enemy soldiers? I can't recall this, am I missing something?

Slaughters is an exaggeration, as was my "cuts a few men down" (only one is mentioned explicitly) but it's still very interesting:

Board her!" he shouted. Grappling lines were flung. He drew his sword and led them over the rail himself.

The crew of the White Hart met them at the rail, but Black Betha's men-at-arms swept over them in a screaming steel tide. Davos fought through the press, looking for the other captain, but the man was dead before he reached him. As he stood over the body, someone caught him from behind with an axe, but his helm turned the blow, and his skull was left ringing when it might have been split. Dazed, it was all he could do to roll. His attacker charged screaming. Davos grasped his sword in both hands and drove it up point first into the man's belly.

One of his crewmen pulled him back to his feet. "Captain ser, the Hart is ours." It was true, Davos saw. Most of the enemy were dead, dying, or yielded. He took off his helm, wiped blood from his face, and made his way back to his own ship, trodding carefully on boards slimy with men's guts. Matthos lent him a hand to help him back over the rail.

It's a very short piece of text. Which reflects how humble Davos is. But a few things can be drawn from it.

1. He leaps straight into combat without hesitation leading his men.

2. He automatically targets the captain, a possible knight or veteran fighting man with confidence

3. He manages to fight through the press to actually find the man, but too late he's already dead

4. He gets taken by surprise but still recovers and kills the man (using both hands on his grip)

5. After the fight, despite only wearing a helmet and wielding a sword he has no wounds, just some blood on his face, probably from other men than Davos.

It is a naval battle. So he is in his element on a ship and a lot of other combatants would be unarmoured. But still Davos comes off as an unsung badass.

Archived