How likely is it that Sandor Clegane will return to the show?

Mycah Bluth

I hope he doesn't return. In the book I love Sandor and hopefully the book incarnation will be back but I hated the show incarnation. Yes Rory is wonderful but Sandor is young and fiery whilst Rory's version is old quite frankly. In the show he is visibly older than his brother and once or twice it has been obvious there is a bald spot on the back of his head. Personally I've just cringed throughout most of his scenes, no wonder they had to cut the scenes of him on the steps with Sansa, it would be just awkward.

Nor do I think Rory's got the range, admittedly he was better last season but once or twice he has been as wooden as a rocking horse. Hope he stays dead and leaves the book version as the one and only Sandor. Can't believe some seem to prefer show Sandor to book Sandor, but hey, that's the joy of opinions . . . :)

Manderly's "the North remembers" monologue was one of my favorites. We know what happened to that one. :P

At least we got the line "the North remembers" a few times. Including once from Ramsay Bolton, which was a nice perversion of the whole idea.

Regarding Sandor, I think it is almost certain we'll see him "bowling" next season.

I don't think he'll come back. What is the point exactly? He would fight his brother, and then... do what? Can you see him living a happy life with wife and children? No way, he would have to die... again, and that's quite lame to bring back a character for one thing and then kill him again.

I hope he doesn't return. In the book I love Sandor and hopefully the book incarnation will be back but I hated the show incarnation. Yes Rory is wonderful but Sandor is young and fiery whilst Rory's version is old quite frankly. In the show he is visibly older than his brother and once or twice it has been obvious there is a bald spot on the back of his head. Personally I've just cringed throughout most of his scenes, no wonder they had to cut the scenes of him on the steps with Sansa, it would be just awkward.

Nor do I think Rory's got the range, admittedly he was better last season but once or twice he has been as wooden as a rocking horse. Hope he stays dead and leaves the book version as the one and only Sandor. Can't believe some seem to prefer show Sandor to book Sandor, but hey, that's the joy of opinions . . . :)

:agree:

I love me some Rory, but he's nowhere near my headcanon for Sandor. From some of the casting spoilers for Season 6, I'm almost afraid Sandor will be back in one form or another, and it won't be good...that's regardless of whether it's Rory or they do a recast.

I don't think he'll come back. What is the point exactly? He would fight his brother, and then... do what? Can you see him living a happy life with wife and children? No way, he would have to die... again, and that's quite lame to bring back a character for one thing and then kill him again.

Who says he's going to fight his brother ? That's all fan hype.

I think there is a reasonable chance Sandor may come back. And by "reasonable" I mean the possibility isn't absolutely foreclosed. We'll see I guess.

They also went to the trouble of Arya mentioning Sandor's name to Jaqen, mentioning that Sandor had wanted Arya to kill him but she refused, and then having Jaqen slap were multiple times for Arya claiming that she hated Sandor.

That's an awful lot of name-dropping for a guy who won't appear in the show anymore.

Indeed. And there was a mention of him by Pod I think in episode three. It could be that D & D are mirroring the books a little bit where Sandor's name keeps popping up in the strangest places, several times, after his alleged death. In fact, his name gets mention by Barristan in one of Dany's Mereen chapters. And if I recally correctly his name pops up in a Davos chapter too.

I like Rory. I always thought Sandor would return because he has more story with Sansa. The ages are off for a lot of the characters, but age gaps are common in this sort of story.

Also, GRRM liked Rory's audition, he's the one who spotted it and recommended him to the showrunners (this scene would have been nice to see):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIWX2fPx-5k

Rory played Sandor well, it's not his fault he was so miscast. I really don't understand why they picked him for this role. He would have been an excellent Jorah Mormont.

Anyway, he's definitely back. They're casting a priest for season 6 who sounds very much like the elder brother that found the Hound.

And besides, he didn't die on the show. He was still alive when we last saw him.

I actually liked Rory for Sandor. It was a unique pick, but not a bad one. He's gruffer, older, and meaner, but that never bothered me. I never really 'shipped' Sansa and him, so that probably helped. He delivers his lines well, he was funny and did actions scenes pretty good. I liked him.

I would like it if he were to return as well. That 'Internet Breaking' 10th episode might just be him in time for Cleganebowl.

Not that I find it likely, but that'd be one of the few changes to the books I would actually welcome.

Archived