Exercise and Fitness - The day you started lifting, is the day you became forever small...

Jabronius Maximus

Won Wales Strongest Man Under 105kg today. Officially broken!

Got a cool trophy though...

Yeah, anyone can make up a country and claim they've won its strongest man title. :P

Seriously now, congrats on the win! Looking forward to hearing more news like that. :thumbup:

And that is a really cool trophy!

Nice one Luke. That yoke video you posted was bloody impressive.

Had a good race on Sunday - 13.4km in just over an hour. Warm, sunny, mostly flat seas, slight breeze. Lovely.

Lungbursting 1.6km final straight saw us overtake 7 boats to finish 4th, so pretty happy with that.

Congratulations Luke, that's really impressive.

I finally got a workout last night after six days off. As expected, my travel last week left me wiped out for a few days.

I ran 2 miles a bit faster than usual and then had a pretty solid weights session: 220lbs chest press, 2x12 pull ups, cable rowing and arms to finish. The gym felt pretty warm and humid, despite A/C, so with the faster cardio I was drenched in sweat and breathing hard throughout. Good workout. I'll try to go back tonight for rowing and legs.

I should have lighter travel for the next couple of weeks.

Yesterday was the first really hot day and I got super sweaty. (At one point I had to lie down and rest because I felt dizzy, and that made me feel like a pathetic weakling.) But my hands get sweaty and kept sliding around on my new mat. I took off my shirt to use on the floor but then I was afraid that would slide too. I would like gloves, but I don't feel that I've earned those. Gloves are for serious worker-outers. They would only jinx me. I think instead I could just wrap my hands in cloth like Ong Bak. Does anyone do that?

Yesterday was the first really hot day and I got super sweaty. (At one point I had to lie down and rest because I felt dizzy, and that made me feel like a pathetic weakling.) But my hands get sweaty and kept sliding around on my new mat. I took off my shirt to use on the floor but then I was afraid that would slide too. I would like gloves, but I don't feel that I've earned those. Gloves are for serious worker-outers. They would only jinx me. I think instead I could just wrap my hands in cloth like Ong Bak. Does anyone do that?

You worked out shirtless because you felt you have not yet "earned" gloves. I think you have to earn exhibitionism too. :)

I don't use gloves currently but I have in the past. These days I used wrist wraps sometimes and always carry a towel for my copious sweat.

Sounds like you are doing something your body isn't ready for. No matter how often people here claim that running is just cardio it isn't true. You can't do long runs without building up the necessary leg muscle. And that takes time. The trick is to ramp it up gradually.

It seems you are correct about that. I have my pride and I assumed because I used to be very fit and still am fairly muscular (if not a bit of flab over that) that I could jog 3-4 nine minute miles in a row 4-5 days a week.

Its hard for me because I can do it but then my knees hurt. My muscles are fine. Not sore or swollen or anything, just my knee joints.

I would like gloves, but I don't feel that I've earned those. Gloves are for serious worker-outers. They would only jinx me. I think instead I could just wrap my hands in cloth like Ong Bak. Does anyone do that?

I'm not a fan of gloves, but if you need gloves, do gloves and don't mess around with things that will:

• take more time

not do as good of a job

look silly

My rowing club is in a turmoil with inner politics and all the stuff I hate.

Things are changing and not for the better. It seems to me that things will be coming to an end sooner rather than later.

As is to be expected, I've started considering what to do if/when that happens.

At the moment, switching to another club is the best option and crossfit is another.

I hate it when morons mess up a good thing!

Congrats Luke!

I haven't yet tried out the kettlebell proper; been practising the form instead with a half-full tin of paint in my conservatory :lol: . Apparently I'm aching in all the right places so I'm probably getting it right. Also went climbing this weekend, as some mates have just discovered that we have a local climbing wall - that was pretty fun. Didn't quite have the confidence and arm-strength to get to the top on my first go, and then got crapper and crapper as I tired out, but next time it will be better! Bit sore this week though!

Final workout before the biggest race of the season on Saturday - a short, max effort session on the rowing machine.

2km in 6:50

1km in 3:15

500m in 1:28

Die.

Now to get carb loading. According to the recommendations (6-10g of carbs per kg bodyweight) I'm going to need to consume between 700g-1.2kg of carbs per day. Not sure that's going to happen.

@Baxus

Think it was 6:45 I was aiming for before, so fell a little short. Still, close enough that I'm happy with progress over the last couple of months!

Since I am now on summer break, I am trying to return to no SAGs after months of debauchery.

The no sugar is going to be a killer, especially in the form of Coke. When I got sick and couldn't work out the depression snuck back in, and has left me exhausted, which had me compensating with my favorite combo of caffeine and sugar. I am trying hard to fight it with exercise, but it is tough.

Also next week my son will be out of school and will be joining me at the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and since he is turning 13 in a couple of weeks, he will be moving to the adult karate classes with me on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Does anyone else do intermittent fasting?

I have tried it and didn't think it was a good idea, for me. I think I have a tendency to have low blood sugar and low blood pressure. Fasting for a day or two made me feel nauseated, gave me headaches and I had trouble seeing. Then when I ate again, I would feel sick and have digestion problems if I ate anything other than simple, empty carbs. I know some people claim that the dizziness and the digestion problems are your body purging itself of toxins and that you have to stick to the routine and eventually your body will level out,or something. I think eating regularly works better for me. Plus, I didn't like not having much energy to exercise on the fasting days, and then feeling too sick to exercise well on the days when I ate again.

I have tried it and didn't think it was a good idea, for me. I think I have a tendency to have low blood sugar and low blood pressure. Fasting for a day or two made me feel nauseated, gave me headaches and I had trouble seeing. Then when I ate again, I would feel sick and have digestion problems if I ate anything other than simple, empty carbs. I know some people claim that the dizziness and the digestion problems are your body purging itself of toxins and that you have to stick to the routine and eventually your body will level out,or something. I think eating regularly works better for me. Plus, I didn't like not having much energy to exercise on the fasting days, and then feeling too sick to exercise well on the days when I ate again.

Interesting. I guess it's a case by case type of thing. I certainly don't feel great if I do a two-day type of fast either, but lately, I've been eating within a 6-8 hour window and it has done wonders for me as far as allowing me to maintain or even increase strength while cutting BF%. It can be a bit challenging to schedule it, but normally I eat, hit the gym or run, and then get home and eat again right away. Might be worth trying if the 24+ hour fasts don't agree with you.

If you are among the fortunate who can have three or more meals a day, I say have all those meals.

Reduce the quantities if needed, or change the quality and/or kind of food you're eating.

I've felt best with 3 meals and 2 snacks (mostly fruit) between them.

Do all you listen to tunes while you're working out? Last night I put on the Moral Kombat movie theme, and the reptile theme. Hell Yeah, got me pumped. Flawless victory.

I usually get pumped listening to really upbeat, stupid stuff though. My internal spirit animal is a 1980s cheerleader. My patronus is a jack russell terrier. I used to get to my university gym early and put my own music on the stereo - Holding Out For a Hero by Bonnie Tyler, I'm so Excited by the Pointer Sisters, with my thong leotard on over my bike shorts, and my milk gallon jug of water. All the weight-lifter dudes would then get there and try to complain and I'd be like "The key to the stereo cabinet is sweat-glued to my chest, safely inside my sports bra. You are in my house now, mimboes." :cool4:

Interesting. I guess it's a case by case type of thing. I certainly don't feel great if I do a two-day type of fast either, but lately, I've been eating within a 6-8 hour window and it has done wonders for me as far as allowing me to maintain or even increase strength while cutting BF%. It can be a bit challenging to schedule it, but normally I eat, hit the gym or run, and then get home and eat again right away. Might be worth trying if the 24+ hour fasts don't agree with you.

I tried IF a couple weeks back, for 1 week. It got me past my weight loss plateau, and my workouts were really good too (8 hour window, 16 hour fast). Thing is it messed with my sleep pattern, so it wasn't something I wanted to keep doing. I like having my late night snack too much anyway.

Do all you listen to tunes while you're working out? Last night I put on the Moral Kombat movie theme, and the reptile theme. Hell Yeah, got me pumped. Flawless victory.

Just when I'm running. I like to match the tempo to my pace. Current mix is: Rihanna-Umbrella, Avicii-Wake Me Up, Psy-Gangnam Style and Britney Spears-Work It. That's plenty for a two mile run. All reprehensible, soulless, poppy crap, but it has the right tempo. I'm getting pretty bored with this mix and need some new options. I used to have Eye Of The Tiger, Passenger, Another One Bites The Dust and Let's Get It Started In Here. The first three at least were decemt songs, but it still got repetitive.

Mortal Kombat theme is a decent suggestion, thanks.

Back when I used to run, and hate it, I would at times feel super proud of myself for even doing it at all, and sometimes be doing better than I thought I would, and whenever I encountered another runner on the path I wanted to fist pump and point at them like "Yes! We're doing it! You're awesome, I'm awesome! Go us! Look at all of us, world! We're running!"

You're awesome, Leap! You're doing it, you're really doing it! :thumbsup:

Just when I'm running. I like to match the tempo to my pace. Current mix is: Rihanna-Umbrella, Avicii-Wake Me Up, Psy-Gangnam Style and Britney Spears-Work It. That's plenty for a two mile run. All reprehensible, soulless, poppy crap, but it has the right tempo. I'm getting pretty bored with this mix and need some new options. I used to have Eye Of The Tiger, Passenger, Another One Bites The Dust and Let's Get It Started In Here. The first three at least were decemt songs, but it still got repetitive.

Mortal Kombat theme is a decent suggestion, thanks.

Try

Electricity by The Avalanches

Ce Jeu by Yelle

Hello by Martin Solveig and Dragonette

I Love It by Icona Pop

End of Line and Derezzed by Daft Punk from the Tron Legacy Soundtrack (because it made me feel like a computer program, running on the grid, unstoppable because I am a machine, and feel nothing.)

I have tried ABC and I Want You Back by the Jackson 5 but with those, it's way too hard not to dance while you're running.

In the park near my house, every summer I see this guy who juggles while he runs, and he doesn't just jog, he sprints. It's the freakiest thing. He's incredible.

I usually get pumped listening to really upbeat, stupid stuff though. My internal spirit animal is a 1980s cheerleader. My patronus is a jack russell terrier. I used to get to my university gym early and put my own music on the stereo - Holding Out For a Hero by Bonnie Tyler, I'm so Excited by the Pointer Sisters, with my thong leotard on over my bike shorts, and my milk gallon jug of water. All the weight-lifter dudes would then get there and try to complain and I'd be like "The key to the stereo cabinet is sweat-glued to my chest, safely inside my sports bra. You are in my house now, mimboes." :cool4:

Never actually tried that, I usually just watch the tv screen on the threadmill while shireening a couple of pounds.

Archived