Exercise and Fitness - The day you started lifting, is the day you became forever small...

Jabronius Maximus

Questione: Why lose weight first, then bulk up? Is there a special reason for that order of events? Is that the way it should be done?

I guess I could bulk up then lose weight, but I'd rather get lean first before trying to add it on, and stay lean during the bulk period.

I just suffered a bit of a frustrating setback. I did chest and triceps this morning and was finishing up my workout with a round of knuckle pushups as always and seemed to have hurt my wrist. Basically, both dorsiflexion and palmar flexion make my ligaments hurt along the top surface. This can't be good.

I guess I could bulk up then lose weight, but I'd rather get lean first before trying to add it on, and stay lean during the bulk period.

I think you should just bulk up big time, get massive. Be a beast. If I were a manpersonbody, that's what I'd do. I'd aim for the pro-wrestler physique - not cut, just be a giant walking wall of beef.

I think you should just bulk up big time, get massive. Be a beast. If I were a manpersonbody, that's what I'd do. I'd aim for the pro-wrestler physique - not cut, just be a giant walking wall of beef.

Yeah, I just want to be cut, but who knows. If I can trim down and then actually bulk up in muscle (which has been historically hard for me), maybe I'll just keep going.

Being super huge/heavy isn't really that fun.

Shouldn't be a problem when the race is 27km long, right?

How long do you expect this to take? And if it could take as long as I think then; How do rowers hydrate - considering both hands are on the oar? Good luck for the race! Go hard!*

*not race advice but a local expression of encouragement when faced with a challenge :)

I'm doing the heavy half in Leadville - 16ish miles going up to 13,185 feet. This is the course profile: http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Leadville-Heavy-Half-Course-Profile.jpg

Geezus that profile looks like Everest. Best of luck!

I'm doing the heavy half in Leadville - 16ish miles going up to 13,185 feet. This is the course profile: http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Leadville-Heavy-Half-Course-Profile.jpg

Wow, you're doing a race at 10-13,000ft (3-4,000m)?!

I don't know how well I'd breathe while running in that elevation, being used to ~100m elevation.

Highest I've ever been is 3,600m (12,000ft) and that was when I was snowboarding which is a lot easier on your lungs than running.

Well, after taking a break for the last month or so due to an injury, I've started working out again to release some of the angst of the affair. 3 days now and I'm already feeling A LOT better. Did a 30 minute cardio video today, then did two sets of back and chest press. Going to try to lose 20 lbs to get down to 190, then bulk up to 200. Also thinking about joining a class one of my friend's does. It's a kickboxing and resistance band class and it's super social.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I assume the majority of the 20lbs you mean to lose is fat fat and majority of the 10lbs you mean to add is muscle.

If so, that's not really the way it goes, and you could/should go straight for 200lbs while increasing muscle and burning fat.

Of course, it would demand a change in diet and workout regimen but i'm quite sure you already know that.

Either way, best of luck with your plan! :thumbsup:

I must admit I never saw the appeal of getting massive the same way I never saw the appeal of getting super skinny.

Lifting huge weights or running long distances alone does not make one fit in my book.

Specialization was never my cup of tea, I rather went with being a jack of all trades even if that means I end up a master of none.

Being super huge/heavy isn't really that fun.

Having never been super huge/heavy, I'll have to take your word for it.

It sure does not sound fun to me.

How long do you expect this to take? And if it could take as long as I think then; How do rowers hydrate - considering both hands are on the oar? Good luck for the race! Go hard!*

*not race advice but a local expression of encouragement when faced with a challenge :)

The race record is 1:47:00 - we'll be aiming for somewhere around 1:55:00 I suspect (hopefully slightly faster!). In terms of hydration, you either just take plenty of fluids on board beforehand or you wear a Camelbak with the nozzle jerry-rigged so as to be near your mouth (similar to a one-man band's mouthpiece).

Camelbak has pros and cons - on the one hand, the occasional shot of water or Lucozade helps break up the race and keep you hydrated, but the straps can also result in chafing in your armpits/sides.

I did 103 burpees at Crossfit and now I am laying down in the middle of the floor and I think getting up again is not one of my life goals.

Congrats, sweat angels are the greatest! two days ago I did our home WoD - 1 burpee in the first minute, 2 in the second, 3 in the third, etc until you can't complete that number in the minute. Got into the 14th but bonked at 8. gotta work on my discipline - for some things I am doing ok, but for this my plan had been doing a burpee every x seconds so I didn't burn out. I didn't think I would get to 20, but I was thinking 16 was a possibillity. as soon as I hit 5 though I was just touch and go...frustrating.

This is so embarrassing.... I hurt my shoulder pushing myself too hard doing pushups.

Ha, I strained my back the other day by going too hard on pullups. :dunno:

I have also hurt my shoulder doing bench presses on the smith machine. (Because Planet Fitness doesn't have real bench stations, and I'm too cheap to go to a better gym.) I stick to dumbbells now and that's good enough.

Been a tough week. I only managed 3 workouts and am having difficulty with the No SAGs. Still trying to fight the depression and am not winning at th moment.

I did enjoy the yoga this week (beginners class) and that and the karate classes gave me a little boost, but it didn't last long.

But I am trying to look at the positive side, and even though I have not been 100% on the No SAGs, I am still a good 500+ fewer calories of junk gone from my diet each day (2 Cokes + ).

And since school is out, my son will start training with me tomorrow. We are doing a 5k mud run on July 11th. We may not do well, but we should have fun. :)

Good stuff Eponine! Was that for time? feel good now?

It was (1 minute burpees + 1 minute rest) x 7. I went 17/17/16/14/13/12/14.

Wow, you're doing a race at 10-13,000ft (3-4,000m)?!

I don't know how well I'd breathe while running in that elevation, being used to ~100m elevation.

Highest I've ever been is 3,600m (12,000ft) and that was when I was snowboarding which is a lot easier on your lungs than running.

I live in Denver - the highest part of the race is pretty brutal, but it's generally accepted that if you're not one of the front competitors, fast walking to the pass is better than trying to run it - it's not smooth. I thought that when I went back to Virginia a year ago, it would be easy to run, but the humidity killed me more than the altitude does. Moab was the best - the altitude is about 4000 ft, which was enough to make breathing easier but still very dry and clear.

Eponine,

Good luck in your race. Thats some crazy elevation! I have the Mount Washington Road Race coming up next weekend in NH, Mt. Washington is 6200 feet. The race goes up the auto road for 7.6 miles. The is a little over 4k feet of elevation. This will be my fourth time doing the race but I've run the auto road many time for training. I must be wired weirdly but I love running up hill on 12% grades for extended periods of time :)

Eponine,

Good luck in your race. Thats some crazy elevation! I have the Mount Washington Road Race coming up next weekend in NH, Mt. Washington is 6200 feet. The race goes up the auto road for 7.6 miles. The is a little over 4k feet of elevation. This will be my fourth time doing the race but I've run the auto road many time for training. I must be wired weirdly but I love running up hill on 12% grades for extended periods of time :)

I've hiked up Mt. Washington twice and driven up once but never run it. I'd love to go back there for hiking/camping someday.

It's pretty ridiculous that I can squat 330 8x, but only bench 176 6x, im gonna start doing bench twice a week.

You're the opposite of me. I can bench 220lbs 6x, but only squat 160lbs (+ the bar of ~20lbs) 8x. 330lbs is pretty impressive. I think my legs have always been much stronger than my upper body (I leg press 400lbs, leg lift 240lbs and leg curl 200lbs) but my squat has always been my weak lift.

I'm also near my lifetime ceiling at bench press. Even when I was younger and much stronger, I don't think I ever exceeded 240lbs.

When I did return to bench pressing last year, at 120lbs, I found the best way to increase my weight was to:

- try heavier weights even if I could only get 2-3 reps at first

- try variety in lifts, e.g. dumbells, barbell, push-ups, etc to generally strengthen the pectoral and avoid stagnation

- do shoulder press too in order to keep the deltoids strong for big bench press (a secondary muscle)

But it may have been easy for me to increase because I was working back toward a previously attained level.

Good luck.

And good luck to Ep in your race. That altitude is daunting.

Archived