Exercise and Fitness - The day you started lifting, is the day you became forever small...

Jabronius Maximus

I also get nauseous when I try to fast, and since I am trying to work out 5-6 days a week, fasting would just leave me too weak to perform.

Today is my first day back to No Sugars, Alcohol or Grains. I am managing, but not overly happy. I try to eat 3 meals and 2 -3 snacks a day. When I did this before, I lost 70 pounds, and the 3-4 months that I have been just eating whatever I want (which is still a lot less grains than I used to eat) I have gained back 12 pounds :(

Hopefully this summer I will be able to get rid of these 12 & the 15 I still had hanging around.

Final workout before the biggest race of the season on Saturday - a short, max effort session on the rowing machine.

2km in 6:50

1km in 3:15

500m in 1:28

Die.

Its a testament to hanging around this thread these past few years that I can tell immediately how impressive these numbers are with regards to your leg, core, arm strength, and cardiovascular capacity. Hard!

One miserable wet evening last winter I ran with headphones & radio app tuned to a rock station. I usually lock my phone so the station doesn't change as it would be troublesome (rain) and disruptive (psyched into run mode) to change mid-run. I needed the lively tempo to help me assault a 1km long, 200m elevation slope that was bothering me some. Halfway up the rise the damn station changed to, of all things, a classical music channel that was just starting a broadcast of a classical spanish guitar movement. It was actually a decent piece I may have enjoyed another time but the tempo was so frickin' pedestrian and it didn't change for the remainder of my run (another 4km after the 1km rise). So pissed off that night. Lately my running buddie and I run sans tunes.

Speaking of running uphill, anyone have any experience approaching and improving their hill climbing? I really suck at it, but I think the best thing I can do, before looking at technique and such, is to lean down a few kilos so there's less impact on my knees and my lower legs don't feel destroyed as much after attacking a hill with any sort of gusto.

I tried IF a couple weeks back, for 1 week. It got me past my weight loss plateau, and my workouts were really good too (8 hour window, 16 hour fast). Thing is it messed with my sleep pattern, so it wasn't something I wanted to keep doing. I like having my late night snack too much anyway.

How did it mess up your sleep pattern? You got tired too early or couldn't sleep?

Totally agree re: weight plateaus. My goal has been to maintain my strength and weight but get a little leaner (I'm 6'0", 175 lbs at the moment at about 9% BF), which was an unsuccessful endeavor for me until I started with IF.

How did it mess up your sleep pattern? You got tired too early or couldn't sleep?

Totally agree re: weight plateaus. My goal has been to maintain my strength and weight but get a little leaner (I'm 6'0", 175 lbs at the moment at about 9% BF), which was an unsuccessful endeavor for me until I started with IF.

Those are some good stats! And my sleep was very irregular - I'd wake up in the middle of the night sometimes (like 3am) and have to go to the washroom. Other times I had trouble falling asleep altogether. This happened about 4-5 days into IF, and my energy in the gym declined due to the lack of sleep. So I returned to my regular IIFYM diet (4 meals, 2 snacks spaced out evenly).

Do all you listen to tunes while you're working out?

I can't listen to music during outdoor activities.

Running, cycling, snowboarding, you name it. I just feel the need to be aware of my surroundings - traffic, other people etc. and, for snowboarding, I just love the sound the snow makes under the board.

Indoors, I don't mind the music and it can even help.

Its a testament to hanging around this thread these past few years that I can tell immediately how impressive these numbers are with regards to your leg, core, arm strength, and cardiovascular capacity. Hard!

Thanks - fairly pleased with them but plenty of room for improvement! I've always been strong over short distances but my cardio fitness/stamina isn't as good as I'd like...

Shouldn't be a problem when the race is 27km long, right?

Thanks - fairly pleased with them but plenty of room for improvement! I've always been strong over short distances but my cardio fitness/stamina isn't as good as I'd like...

Shouldn't be a problem when the race is 27km long, right?

I'm doing the heavy half in Leadville - 16ish miles going up to 13,185 feet. This is the course profile: http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Leadville-Heavy-Half-Course-Profile.jpg

I entirely intend to jog/walk - this is the longest run that I'll have done this year and the push up to the midway point is steep and rocky. I'd like to do the marathon next year. I've regained running endurance much easier than speed - I don't have any doubt that I can finish at Leadville (the cutoff time is 8.5 hours anyway, so I could walk the whole thing if I wanted), but the thought of a 7 minute mile fills me with terror right now.

My team is taking a summer break from soccer, but I'm going to start running on Thursdays again - I'm hoping to go to Crossfit three days a week and run on two.

Rowing and legs did not happen because Monday and Tuesday evening were both too busy.

I got back to the gym last night for a run and upper body weights: shoulder press increased to 160lbs (max available), wide lat pull down (150lbs), upright row (75lbs) and a quick set on arms to finish. It was a very late workout after the BlackHawks game so I felt a bit sluggish between sets, but still lifted well.

Hopefully I'll fit in rowing and legs tonight during the basketball game.

Well, after taking a break for the last month or so due to an injury, I've started working out again to release some of the angst of the affair. 3 days now and I'm already feeling A LOT better. Did a 30 minute cardio video today, then did two sets of back and chest press. Going to try to lose 20 lbs to get down to 190, then bulk up to 200. Also thinking about joining a class one of my friend's does. It's a kickboxing and resistance band class and it's super social.

Well, after taking a break for the last month or so due to an injury, I've started working out again to release some of the angst of the affair. 3 days now and I'm already feeling A LOT better. Did a 30 minute cardio video today, then did two sets of back and chest press. Going to try to lose 20 lbs to get down to 190, then bulk up to 200. Also thinking about joining a class one of my friend's does. It's a kickboxing and resistance band class and it's super social.

Questione: Why lose weight first, then bulk up? Is there a special reason for that order of events? Is that the way it should be done?

Archived