What is the benefit to become a KG?

purple-eyes

It seems like a horrible offer to become a KG. 

No land, no title, no wife, no children, and theoretically no sex either. 

And it is dangerous! You have to guard royal people until you die and it is so easy to die if you are a KG. 

I can understand low born knights become KG for honor and social status stuff. 

But many of them seem to be second born sons from great houses, such as Prince Lywen, Arthur Dayne, Oswell Whent, etc. 

What is the point to become KG for them?

For example, would not it be better for Leywn to stay as a Dornish prince and have wife and children and help his sister to rule Dorne? Why became a royal guard and had to keep his lover secretly?

I can and think of two reasons-

1. It is more of a sacrifice for the family- it makes the family look good.  It also puts eyes and ears on the royal family and a great job for a mole.

b.  As in the Leywn example- perhaps his sister didn't want his help ruling.  It is definitely a better way to get 'not first' children away from the family- I bet Waymar Royce would have preferred KG over NW  

Prestige to your family, a considerable amount of it.

The Kingsguard become legendary figures.

Agreed. The KG seem to be viewed as almost larger than life figures (the best of the best, in all aspects surrounding Knights: fighting prowess, chivalry, loyalty, etc) and like most other things of this nature, their character and feats seem to become more legendary in death. They're the men that boys (Bran for instance) admire and pretend to be when fighting with sticks as well as the type of men that girls dream of being saved by or marrying (Sansa). In regard to this last statement, yes, I know the KG can not marry. I simply meant in terms of their character, the way they carry themselves, that they are a perfect example of the "knight in shining armor" mythos that girls swoon over.

Yeah, gloried bodyguard. 

But it indeed sounds sad to be ripped of wife, children and sex life by honor and reputation.

I bet Kings are usually OK if his KG had some children-less sex life and also the lovers are not king's wife or mistresses.  

Yeah, gloried bodyguard. 
But it indeed sounds sad to be ripped of wife, children and sex life by honor and reputation.
I bet Kings are usually OK if his KG had some children-less sex life and also the lovers are not king's wife or mistresses.  

Not everyone searches the same goals. Some people may prefered to have the job that they have, eventhou they could have a better salary or social life.
Why would se genius prefered to be a phicicist instead of working in a multional and earn 10 times their current salary? Because they like their job.

Joining an elite brotherhood of legendary warriors, being remembered throughout history, being covered in glory. It's a good way to get use of a second or third son without having to find land for them, while honouring them and your family. Just like the Night's Watch when it was in it's prime.

Yeah, gloried bodyguard. 

The men of the NW do the same, and their situation is shittier. Of course in the time of the kings of winter it was upholded as a place where any man can reach an honorable position low or high born.. But I digress.

The KG are the best of the best, being considered to be one is a great honor itself, there are only 7, I think it seen as a way to get honor and glory to your family name, and of course many have earn a place in Westerosi History, its better than hope that your father finds you a marriage to a minor house..

Ok, seriously, a place in the KG is destined for those knights who, seen they won't inherit can devote themselves to greatness. Loras' case is very specific due to him not actually looking forward a wife, but also, he's a third son. It wasn't unusual for third or fourth sons to join, for example, the clergy. The KG gives you more chances to get honour than joining the Citadel or the Faith.

Also, there are religious connotations to knighthood, not to say that many of them believe the Kings are kings due to divine intervention. For many of them, serving the King and protect him is pretty much doing their God's will.

Joining an elite brotherhood of legendary warriors, being remembered throughout history, being covered in glory. It's a good way to get use of a second or third son without having to find land for them, while honouring them and your family. Just like the Night's Watch when it was in it's prime.

this. plus being a second or third son, id rather go become one of the best knights in the land rather than live in your older siblings shadow

Ya joining the KG is basically the equivalent of being a movie star or rock star 

Archived