Varys/Illyrio is the Harpy

forod

just a theory, but by keeping Dany occupied in Mereen with its problems, they can stop the risk of her invading with dragons and creating mass destruction, whislt paving the way for Aegon to invade whilst the Lannisters and Tyrells divide and ruin the realm

just a theory, but by keeping Dany occupied in Mereen with its problems, they can stop the risk of her invading with dragons and creating mass destruction, whislt paving the way for Aegon to invade whilst the Lannisters and Tyrells divide and ruin the realm

Harpies are female.  Neither Varys nor Illyrio are Ghiscari.

The Green Grace is the harpy.

Why do you assume Varys/Illyrio want to pave the way for Aegon over Dany?  Aegon was on the way to meet Dany, which was Illyrio's plan, before Aegon unilaterally decided to invade Westeros.

Im pretty sure the plan only changed after the birth of the dragons, before that, it was viserys and danenerys task to get a Dothraki army and march to westeros.. Until Viseys Fucked up in Vaes Dothrak, Drogo was turned into VeggioDrogo, and The dragons hatched...

I agree that it's the Green Grace.  It's an original theory, I'll give you that (Lord of Light knows we need more of those).  But when the Harpy killing start Varys, et al are expecting her and Aegon to meet up so they'd have no reason to sabotage her. 

And Welcome! :cheers:

Not sure about this theory, but I never understood why Tywin didn't seem to have a plot in place to take out Dany.
Or maybe he has and it has yet to be revealed.

Because Varys was purposefully downplaying Dany's threat. Like, he would tell the Small Council about the dragons in the same breath as he told them about krakens and other sailors' tales

I can't say that I agree with this but it's original and not entirely illogical.

A big plus is that the post doesn't contain 87 paragraphs of quotes and unjustifiable assumptions.

A theory is generally supported with evidence.

Can't please everyone...

This is what I thought as well.

I can't say that I agree with this but it's original and not entirely illogical.

A big plus is that the post doesn't contain 87 paragraphs of quotes and unjustifiable assumptions.

You...I like you. Well said my good man.

Can't please everyone...

This is what I thought as well.

I just re-read the last few books, and the Green Grace could be the harpy, which is more likely than Varys or Illyrio, I just feel that from what we kknow of those two characters they might feel that dragons are too dangerous a weapon to unleash in Westeros so they want to keep her in the east whilst using their other Targaryen. 

Because Varys was purposefully downplaying Dany's threat. Like, he would tell the Small Council about the dragons in the same breath as he told them about krakens and other sailors' tales

I think it had more to do with the crown simply having more pressing concerns closer to home whilst Tywin was Hand

I just re-read the last few books, and the Green Grace could be the harpy, which is more likely than Varys or Illyrio, I just feel that from what we kknow of those two characters they might feel that dragons are too dangerous a weapon to unleash in Westeros so they want to keep her in the east whilst using their other Targaryen. 

That's a good thought, but Illyrio was trying to get Dany to Pentos to meet up with Aegon, so I think that rules him out at least for the Harpy.

DING DING!  Finally someone sees the actuality.  Although I'd be remiss if I didn't state that I've held this theory long before last season's episodes that pretty much leave the only option for that lady who's always around the Unsullied when they get attacked as the Green Grace (for us book readers).

Logistically, Varys couldn't have been in Meereen orchestrating the attacks on Dany and have made it back to King's Landing to kill Kevan. We see from Tyrion and Quentyn how much time it takes to travel to Meereen and how difficult it is becoming to get passage there.

I guess Illyrio could have set out for Meereen as soon as he left Tyrion, but he seemed sincerely invested in Aegon and is smart enough to know marrying Dany would give him a better claim. Killing Dany wouldn't really do Aegon much good, especially since it's unclear if he'd be able to control the dragons.

I agree it's most likely the Green Grace. The Harpy needs to be someone with enough influence to get the masters to carry out these attacks.

Logistically, Varys couldn't have been in Meereen orchestrating the attacks on Dany and have made it back to King's Landing to kill Kevan. We see from Tyrion and Quentyn how much time it takes to travel to Meereen and how difficult it is becoming to get passage there.

I guess Illyrio could have set out for Meereen as soon as he left Tyrion, but he seemed sincerely invested in Aegon and is smart enough to know marrying Dany would give him a better claim. Killing Dany wouldn't really do Aegon much good, especially since it's unclear if he'd be able to control the dragons.

I agree it's most likely the Green Grace. The Harpy needs to be someone with enough influence to get the masters to carry out these attacks.

The controller of the Harpies wouldn't necessarily have to be in Mereen, they would just need communication channels, and Varys is the king of communication in ASOIAF

Well then we have Varys who's disguises could fool anyone. He could easily turn female and chain but that means nothing really. 

Not exactly original, I've seen this discussed before or just mentioned previously a couple weeks ago 

Well then we have Varys who's disguises could fool anyone. He could easily turn female and chain but that means nothing really. 

Not exactly original, I've seen this discussed before or just mentioned previously a couple weeks ago 

He wouldn't even need to be on the same continent, he would just need a liason 

Archived