Sandor Clegane - alive

CleganeBros

• 1 month later...
Booooo, bring back the rage.

The rage will be back once Sandor gets a look at his FrankenMcGregor brother, he believes him dead, the brother said something like "even that was taken from him" (Sandor being able to kill his brother).

Sandor is going to beat the undead shit out of Gregor... then set him on fire!

:bow: :bow: :bow: The seven, r'hollr, gods of the godswood and GRRM willing....

Just a thought that popped up in my mind... Qyburn says that the champion he's creating for Cersei can't be defeated by any living man. But Sandor's officially dead right? Would that mean Sandor can still "kill" him (can you kill someone who's dead already?) or would that be too Lord of the Rings? ("No man can kill me!" "I am no man!")

Just a thought that popped up in my mind... Qyburn says that the champion he's creating for Cersei can't be defeated by any living man. But Sandor's officially dead right? Would that mean Sandor can still "kill" him (can you kill someone who's dead already?) or would that be too Lord of the Rings? ("No man can kill me!" "I am no man!")

I think the larger question is whether Sandor has actually adopted this new life style, or is really just taking a time out and remains the same person underneath this latest guise until he heals up.

Maybe UnCat will get him.

Neither living, nor a man ;)

• 1 year later...

the exact quote from the book

"there is one thing i do know, however. The man you hunt is dead"

"how did he die?"

"by the sword, as he had lived"

"you know this for a certainty?"

"I buried him myself."

seems to me like he is dead until such time as is proven otherwise other then "but there is a new novice and hes big!" i find it hard to believe that they wouldnt see this grave diggers face and notice the terrible burns. Even farmers at a small village knew who he was.

If you subscribe to the Gravedigger story, you could argue that the Elder Brother knows that the Gravedigger is Sandor, and that his specific comment ("The Hound is dead" refers to the end of the bestial, monstrous personality of the Hound). I'm not saying that's guaranteed proof or anything, just a possible explanation of how that might work. IT could parallel Septon Meribald's repeated comments about how the "man he was" (banging all the village girls, etc.) and Aeron Greyjoy ("the fat winesack with legs") are both dead -- they don't mean that they are literally zombies, only that they have been 'born again' in faith.

"how did he die?"

"I buried him myself."

An exact quote from the same book and same character:

All in all, I was a sad man. When I was not fighting, I was drunk. My life was writ in red, in blood and wine.”

“When did it change?” asked Brienne.

When I died in the Battle of the Trident.

So much for literal truth. (well unless you're willing to argue the elder brother is a zombie, that could be a surprisingly plausible theory)

(not counting the fact that I can't fathom why people cannot accept that some random guy could, you know, lie to protect a new member of their community.)

"how did he die?"

"I buried him myself."

seems to me like he is dead until such time as is proven otherwise other then "but there is a new novice and hes big!" i find it hard to believe that they wouldnt see this grave diggers face and notice the terrible burns. Even farmers at a small village knew who he was.

Woo hoo! Go Silver!

I love it when you point out the evidence and they still say you're crazy.

Evidence which is partial and doesn't really include the relevant bits. Just like yours.

The substantial evidence (Stranger in the stable, his bad temper around other people, the large man with a limp who keeps his face hidden even while indoors) and the actual words of the Elder Brother: "The Hound is dead" compare and contrast to "I died", and "Sandor is at peace". But of course this has been said a hundred times in this thread, by more concise and eloquent posters. I'm going to have some gluhwein now.

Evidence which is partial and doesn't really include the relevant bits. Just like yours.

The substantial evidence (Stranger in the stable, his bad temper around other people, the large man with a limp who keeps his face hidden even while indoors) and the actual words of the Elder Brother: "The Hound is dead" compare and contrast to "I died", and "Sandor is at peace". But of course this has been said a hundred times in this thread, by more concise and eloquent posters. I'm going to have some gluhwein now.

I'm not saying i dont want it to be true, because he is one of the best multi dimensional characters in the books, but all of the evidence is pretty clearly explained.

He says he is dead and that he burried him.

He says he found him in the woods with his horse, and took his horse back with him.

I think the biggest evidence to the contrary is if grave digger was the hound one of them, at one point would have gotten a glimpse at how half his face is burned off and scarred.

I think the biggest evidence to the contrary is if grave digger was the hound one of them, at one point would have gotten a glimpse at how half his face is burned off and scarred.

The book does specifically point out that the gravedigger's face is hidden.

Archived