Who poisoned Joffrey?

Octavian West

Sansa would only have been completely removed from suspicion until someone mentioned Sansa's hairnet - a hairnet that was missing one stone but might still have been carrying more poison. The hairnet would've been tangible proof. And a good method to make Sansa keep her mouth shut about Tyrell affairs.

The engagement fell through before they poisoned Joffrey, and Sansa lost her value for the Tyrells when that happened. It is possible that they changed their plans then, adjusting to the new developments.

(Mind you, I think the Tyrells only poisoned the wine. If Tyrion's pie was poisoned, too, my money is on Tywin. A lesson for that brat Joffrey while rearranging the succession to Casterly Rock.)

I like your thought if both were poisoned (wine/pie), but the targets were different. that would make sense because Garlan tells Tyrion to not eat/drink the wine/ pie by putting his hand over it. Tywin stated Joff needed a sharp lesson, but to me he would have done it in another way. I like your thoughts though. LF stated to Sansa that the linchpin to his plan was her wearing the hairnet. He asked Sansa if she remembered if anyone re-arranged her hair and that is when Sansa put two and two together. for the Tyrells they did not need Joffrey as Joffrey had a better so they got rid of Joff, framed Tyrion to have Sansa a widow, with all the confusion Sansa was able to escape with Dantos, Tyrells get their marriage to Tommen (nicer king and young enough for Tyrell manipulation as well as Cersei's. Granted LF had a back up of sorts in Loras and being in the KG and thinking if Joff had lived and harmed Marg he believed it was the making of kingslayer stew because Loras would not have stood by while his sister got hurt.

I think Garlan may have been in on something as he tells Sansa at her wedding to hide herself/feelings and lie better and seems genuinely concern for her. At the feast, he puts his hand over Tyrion's pie and I think drink and states I would not so he must have known something is a little part and trying to be nice. Too bad he was married because he would have been a nice match for Sansa.

I have a question: why did the stranger-amethyst have to be snuck in on Sansa's hair net?

Because LF needs a way to get the poison to Olenna without either of them being suspected. And, of course, LF wants a way to incriminate Sansa. It makes all kinds of sense from LF's point of view: the only problem is why Olenna agrees. And she agrees because she has no better way of obtaining a deadly poison undetected.

As for the idea that the pie could have been poisoned, this is extraordinarily unlikely, no matter the target or the scenario. Firstly, it would be impossible to tamper with the pie in the kitchens - feasts are not served like restaurants, after all. Nobody could have guaranteed to poison the dish of one particular guest: at best they'd get the right table, and even that is unlikely. The pie would have to be poisoned while it was on the table, in full view. Secondly, the poison in question is twice shown to be used in crystal form and never shown to exist in liquid form, yet the latter is the only way you could poison a pie with it.

5 think Joffrey killed Joffrey (or Tywin)

I think Littlefinger once again got into Joffrey's ear (as with Ned, probably with Bran, etc) and planned the poisoning of TYRION, with Sansa/Tyrells taking the blame. He led Sansa to BELIEVE in the hairnet story but I think when Sansa tries to use the hairnet again she will find it is a fake . It would have been easy enough for LF to set up Oleanna to adjust the hairnet

"Oh see her net is crooked, that will put Joffrey into a temper."

Joffrey had the poison in his hand but somehow there was a switcheroo and Joffrey copped the poison. Oddly enough for THIS switch I suspect Tywin, who I think realiosed when he saw Joffrey that he was insane.

I think Littlefinger once again got into Joffrey's ear (as with Ned, probably with Bran, etc) and planned the poisoning of TYRION, with Sansa/Tyrells taking the blame. He led Sansa to BELIEVE in the hairnet story but I think when Sansa tries to use the hairnet again she will find it is a fake . It would have been easy enough for LF to set up Oleanna to adjust the hairnet

Joffrey had the poison in his hand but somehow there was a switcheroo and Joffrey copped the poison. Oddly enough for THIS switch I suspect Tywin, who I think realiosed when he saw Joffrey that he was insane.

Very nice idea but.. what would have happened if Joffrey succeed in his plan? His uncle would have experienced a sudden death in front of his eyes, and how would he have explained it so that Tyrell could have taken the blame? He was the nearest to Tyrion at the moment of his death..

It's remarkable how far people will go to put unnecessary complications into a fairly straigthforward and logical scenario.

Apologies if I'm off-topic, or if somebody else has already mentioned this (cbf reading 10 pages) but I've always wondered, why do we believe Littlefinger when he tells Sansa about the plot? I'm perfectly happy with taking his explanation at face-value, mind you, but at the same time it's also pretty plausible that an operator as savvy as Littlefinger wouldn't just go round telling teenage girls that he arranged a regicide.

Although, now that I think about it, how else would he have known that Olenna Tyrell messed with her hairnet... or did he just do a bit of cold reading on her? Insisting on the hairnet, guessing that someone would adjust it during a long feast (because of course it was an unusually loose hairnet...), arranging a poisoning separately and telling Sansa that she was an accessory to it so that she'd be bound to stick with Littlefinger out of fear.

Is that crackpot? Have I crossed the line?

Apologies if I'm off-topic, or if somebody else has already mentioned this (cbf reading 10 pages) but I've always wondered, why do we believe Littlefinger when he tells Sansa about the plot? I'm perfectly happy with taking his explanation at face-value, mind you, but at the same time it's also pretty plausible that an operator as savvy as Littlefinger wouldn't just go round telling teenage girls that he arranged a regicide.

Although, now that I think about it, how else would he have known that Olenna Tyrell messed with her hairnet... or did he just do a bit of cold reading on her? Insisting on the hairnet, guessing that someone would adjust it during a long feast (because of course it was an unusually loose hairnet...), arranging a poisoning separately and telling Sansa that she was an accessory to it so that she'd be bound to stick with Littlefinger out of fear.

Is that crackpot? Have I crossed the line?

We mostly believe LF because he's trying to show Sansa how clever he is.

Circumstantially everything points back to LF. He provided the hairnet to Dontos, he provided the dwarf jousters, he was on his ship outside town ready to "rescue" Sansa after the poisoning when everyone thought he was in the Vale or someplace. He was at Highgarden brokering the Marg/Joff marriage so he had the opportunity to plot with the Tyrells. He was in so deep that there's no reason to doubt what he tells Sansa.

• 7 months later...

Sorry if this has been mentioned, new here. i did look but couldn't find it anywhere, so here goes.

I think all this debate about who actually poisoned Joffrey and whether it was the pie or the wine is irrelevant. Martin has said all along that it is the consequences of the events that are important, not the events themselves, and that it is the consequences that matter. Anyone could have killed Joffrey, just as anyone could have killed Robb Stark. What matters is not who did it or how, but the effects of that.

Still, while we are speculating on who did what, I think the person who actually killed Joffrey was melisandre, when she did her ritual with the leeches. The actual people who did the deed were just the tolls used. Which I find amusing because if Littlefinger really was behind it, then it is ironic that a man who prides himself on his ability to manipulate others was actually manipulated himself, by Melisandre's magic. It is lso the kind of thing i can see Martin enjoying, Having us all argue about who killed Joffrey when he has already given us the answer way before it happened. Having us all get entrenched in discussing the minutae of the event, all the mights and maybes, when the answer has been in plain sight all along.

You are going to throw tomatoes at me or something, but here are my ideas:

First, I don't see why would the Tyrells want to murder Joffrey. I don't see Olenna that much worried about Margaery's safety, since she is strong and had Joffrey manipulated. He wasn't going to hurt her any time soon, but she could have gotten pregnant before that. Also, I think Olenna knew sooner or later someone would kill Joffrey.

If I could magically solve the poison problem, I think the person who had more reasons to kill Joffrey was his grandfather. He's the smartest of all the Lannisters, cold blood and all, and he was seeing the danger that was Joffrey on the throne. By being a child, Joffrey was threatening everything he built being smart and patient.

Now, the tomatoes :P

Archived