[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Larry's reviews at OtakuAssemble.

Arkash

I've enjoyed his weekly reviews; I like seeing his perspective; and also seeing what someone who hasn't read the books thinks about the show. And I thought his rant last season after Ned's death was impressive in its intensity.

I certainly don't agree with his opinions on Sansa and his usage of a lot of bad language; but I support his right to say what he wants on his Facebook page and on YouTube; it's not illegal to despise a fictional character; and he doesn't deserve hate mail for doing so.

TV-Sansa is much more obnoxious than book-Sansa; the real Sansa would never have been so rude to her Septa, or been so whiny to Shae (and would have had other maids in her apartments, so one more would not have been a huge surprise; and I doubt that in the book, Shae would have come to be the maid of one of the highest-ranked girls in the realm, hostage or not, dressed like someone off the street - Tyrion would have seen that she had something more fashionable to wear...of course, TV-Shae is far less believable than book-Shae, but let's not get into that). Of course, TV-Sansa didn't spill the beans about her father's sending her and Arya away to Cersei, a big mistake even though Sansa had no idea that Cersei would have killed Stark retainers because of it. But there is a huge vacuum in the characterization of TV-Sansa; most of the TV characters do more, and due to Sansa's circumstances, she can't be action girl and is too young and immature to be a Margaery Tyrell schemer type (also, Sansa has no friends or supporters, except for a drunken knight-turned-jester and a surly alcoholic warrior). I find the book version more likeable because we can see into her head and know what motivates Sansa, see her strategy for surviving the extreme stress and danger that surrounds her, see her doing her best and not becoming meaner or turning on those who are weaker, which we don't see much of in the TV series.

Sansa's main problem in the show is that, again, quite all of her character is pure internal warfare... a warfare that is impossible to visualy retranscript in the show, sadly...

I dont know how many of you follow Larry, but I really enjoy his reviews after each episode!

He gives us really great inside thoughts of how a non-book reader perceive the story and has a genuine passion and commitment to the show!

I do not agree with him at all on his Sansa's hatred, but on the rest, I really enjoy his reviews...

Here's a link to the one he did for "Garden of Bones" (last episode to date):

The guy is an awkward amateur I have stopped watching him.

Almost all the YouTube reviewers give it too much of the Harry High School touch, can't find a good and perceptive reviewer among the bunch.

But then lack of sophsitication on the U-tubee is its long suit.

I haven't watched Larry's reviews this season, but I have heard him as a guest a couple times on A Podcast of Ice and Fire. I like listening to people who can organize their thoughts efficently. He can't. Larry is passionate, I'll give him that, but uncontrolled passion is not entertaining. I also think his internet fame has perhaps gone to his head and he goes further and further over the top. I actually wish he'd just read the books and get a larger perspective on things.

As for Sansa Stark, she displays quite a bit of bravery and heroism in the books and on the show. That's to be commended.

I certainly don't agree with his opinions on Sansa and his usage of a lot of bad language; but I support his right to say what he wants on his Facebook page and on YouTube; it's not illegal to despise a fictional character; and he doesn't deserve hate mail for doing so.

This actually reminds me of a quote Voltaire used “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

And I agree, he has an absolute right on his opinions but he does exaggerate a bit. He should have realised by now that Sansa is, as every other character on the show or in the books, anything but a shallow character and that there is more to her than meets the eye. Maybe it would be good if he would read a book after every season. I actually couldn't imagine not reading the books, I would be too bloody curious about what happens and waiting for another season would be a suicidal option. :D

I find the book version more likeable because we can see into her head and know what motivates Sansa, see her strategy for surviving the extreme stress and danger that surrounds her, see her doing her best and not becoming meaner or turning on those who are weaker, which we don't see much of in the TV series.

Yes and that's why the TV series could NEVER compete with the books in any way possible and they are nothing but a mere tribute. :D

My opinions on the show itself are very high, though, but I am not sure will they be able to keep it high with so much unecessary sex and nudity scenes that hurt the story.

I've been watching his reviews after each eposide this season. Agree or disagree, it is still interesting to see how some non-book readers reaact and see things.

And the Sansa rant - well Sansa is obviously a unlikeble charatcer in the TV series, so why would he like her? All my non-bookreading friends who watch the series absolutely hate Sansa too, it is not like he has a unique view about it. Even as a book reader, if you come and tell me you actually liked the charater of Sansa back when u were in the middle of ACOK, I would likely think you are lieing and saying that out of hindsight. And for TV series it is even worse, there is no internal monologe to explain her (lack of) actions and what is going on, plus she has been made even more bitchier and whinier than in the books. So I don't really blame his dislike for Sansa at all, there is not a single charater type less sympathetic for young males than the 'spoiled stupid arrogant rich girl' - and thats what she is for a TV viewer, so his critics got to get real here.

Not justifing the manner if which he explains his views on this tho, but that is his channel and his business, not mine.

Sansa is not 13 in the tv-series, so there is probably more expected from her. Sansa's a bitch to Arya and Arya's a bitch to her - but somehow Arya's actions are more justified since she's not as beautiful as Sansa and of course, not either as old. I can't say that she frankly can do much more in the position she's in at the moment, but I can understand why people like Larry can be upset with her (lack of) actions. I personally think Sansa's brought this on her own and I do not pity her either, but it was not a savvy move from Larry to focus so much on Sansa, especially since he's a bit too feisty for some people's taste.

I haven't watched Larry's reviews this season, but I have heard him as a guest a couple times on A Podcast of Ice and Fire. I like listening to people who can organize their thoughts efficently. He can't. Larry is passionate, I'll give him that, but uncontrolled passion is not entertaining. I also think his internet fame has perhaps gone to his head and he goes further and further over the top. I actually wish he'd just read the books and get a larger perspective on things.

As for Sansa Stark, she displays quite a bit of bravery and heroism in the books and on the show. That's to be commended.

No way, stop thinking you are a majority telling people what to do . I and many others enjoy Larry's fresh perspective on the series and I see that he has touched some people's nerves here .

This is not only young males who may dislike Sansa the way she is, , this is also not so young women who had to earn themselves a position in life and did not get it it served like the "spoiled rich brat" who goes so much along with society's norms and values and never tries to actively find her own way. But of course this is a little unfair because Sansa is in fact an immature girl with a lot of room for development.

I see her more with the forgiving eye of an older aunt or mother, looking down on her (ah, the actress is much taller and stronger built than I am) in a benevolent manner, knowing that even the most petulant and bratty fourteen year olds can be really nice, clever and successful adult women. This character is in no way static to me, like all of Martin's characters, not only the very young ones, Sansa is not caught in a role or trope but has every potential for development.

But imo the actres does not make it easier for me: I had a totally different book Sansa in mind and unlike with so many other characters, like Tyrion, Tywin, Joffrey, Ned, Theon or Daenerys, the choice of cast did not do very much for me to identify the actor or actress with the role, overlooking all kinds of obstacles concerning looks in favor of of superb acting.

All you people defending Larry, and not one of you has tried to defend the main problem I have with his rant: the "victim" portion where he thinks it is reasonable for a 13 year old girl to have the means and the courage to assassinate the king and then be put to death herself. Basically, he thinks it is logical to expect Sansa to "martyr" herself for the realm.

Personally I find it very scary that someone can hold that opinion, that is how ridiculous that sounds.

I don't care if he dislikes Sansa right now, in fact I'm fine with it because Sansa is being done HORRIBLY on the show (not to discredit Sophie Turner; her performance is fine, when they let her act). I still think some perspective is needed to put yourself in the shoes of Sansa and the situation she's in. Hating her because she's a "victim" (just like Arya! who Larry loves) and hasn't killed herself to rid the world of Joffrey yet is just...unspeakably stupid, personally.

All you people defending Larry, and not one of you has tried to defend the main problem I have with his rant: the "victim" portion where he thinks it is reasonable for a 13 year old girl to have the means and the courage to assassinate the king and then be put to death herself. Basically, he thinks it is logical to expect Sansa to "martyr" herself for the realm.

I agree, that was just... horrible... pure atrocities to say... I felt a rush of hate when he said it... but, well...

Yeah it's fine to dislike her personality. And dislike the fact that she sold her family out, sure! But then the arguments he makes around the 5 min mark about "glorifying victims" are offensive to me. I really dont want to watch him any more. Because at that point he's no longer talking about fictional characters or the show. These seem to be his real life views. "action must be taken" in order for him to sympathize with victims. It's like he's saying they have a responsibility to stop being victimized. When he fails to see how their very survival is action.

Moreover, his hatred of Sansa's personality seems to blind him to the ways that she does take action in subtle forms of resistance (like walking out of the throne room with her head held high after being BEATEN). But I guess that's lost on him. It's an instance of allowing opinions about a character to solidify to the point where you can't bend when the story asks you to.

Yeah it's fine to dislike her personality. And dislike the fact that she sold her family out, sure! But then the arguments he makes around the 5 min mark about "glorifying victims" are offensive to me. I really dont want to watch him any more. Because at that point he's no longer talking about fictional characters or the show. These seem to be his real life views. "action must be taken" in order for him to sympathize with victims. It's like he's saying they have a responsibility to stop being victimized. When he fails to see how their very survival is action.

Moreover, his hatred of Sansa's personality seems to blind him to the ways that she does take action in subtle forms of resistance (like walking out of the throne room with her head held high after being BEATEN). But I guess that's lost on him. It's an instance of allowing opinions about a character to solidify to the point where you can't bend when the story asks you to.

Bold = exactly the minute I lost any respect I had for him.

At first I liked his reviews, because I thought they were amusing and it was fun watching a non-book reader's reaction, but I won't watch any of his reviews anymore.

I only saw his latest review for the episode "The Ghost of Harrenhall." and to be honest I didn't like his video at all. He spent 8 minutes complaining about a character that wasn't in the episode(as far as I remember) right from the beginning, and then he goes back to that rant and he just has a total meltdown swearing far too much as he does.

I'm not sure if all his reviews are like this, or this one was just unusually bad, but I don't think I'll be watching anymore after that.

I like his reviews, and understand his position on Sansa. I

also did not liked Sansa during aGoT and aCoK.

And i understand the thing about glorifying victims- this is a TV show and that is not entertaining, and there is nothing glorious about being a victim. Being victim is bad thing. Of course, that does not mean it is a thing to be judged. I don't agree with what he said about Sansa becoming a martyr but why would I have to agree with everything he says to like his reviews or watch them? And about swearing, i don't care about that. It's fine. The funniest review after all was episode 9 season 1. I could have done without Sansa rant in last review, but it is a minor thing, really.

I also don't agree about judging Sansa for direwolf thing; Ned explained in episode 3 why Sansa could not say things against Joff. But it is easy to forget such things if you only watch TV series. And that is one of the reasons his reviews are so entertaining - it is fresh perspective based only on TV show and his reactions are authentic.

Agree or disagree, I generally try to avoid saying someone's reaction is outright "wrong". The only times I would say that's true is if they completely miss or misinterpret something right out in the open.

I think Sansa's character suffers greatly from decades of action movie tropes and the general expectations of the genre. It's completely unrealistic and unreasonable to expect her to do much of anything to rebel in her situation, and yet... that's what the movies have been telling us she should do. The spunky damsels have always been protected by plot armor, as the hero would undoubtedly save her as soon as she got caught or took it one step too far.

In fact, Sansa herself might have once entertained such thought in her head based on the songs she grew up with... but Ned's head on a spike pretty much drove such thoughts away. It was meant to serve the same meta-purpose for us viewers, too, but old habits die hard, and we want our action hero.

Arya more or less appears we've been conditioned to expect - the spunky tomboy who totally kicks ass. What's missed in the translation to the screen is that she's far too young and green to kick ass, and in fact is easily disarmed the first time she actually faces someone prepared for her. At Harrenhall, she's a mouse and a sheep before she becomes a ghost, and her survival to this point has been more luck than skill.

Unless you're looking for it, it's easy to miss the courage in Sansa, and the vulnerability in Arya. It's there, though, and that's what sells me on both performances. I think Sansa's role is much, much harder to play, and she's been doing a phenomenal job of it (even if it's not quite appreciated by Larry or others).

Personally I find it very scary that someone can hold that opinion, that is how ridiculous that sounds.

I don't care if he dislikes Sansa right now, in fact I'm fine with it because Sansa is being done HORRIBLY on the show (not to discredit Sophie Turner; her performance is fine, when they let her act). I still think some perspective is needed to put yourself in the shoes of Sansa and the situation she's in. Hating her because she's a "victim" (just like Arya! who Larry loves) and hasn't killed herself to rid the world of Joffrey yet is just...unspeakably stupid, personally.

Sorry, Sansa sucks in the book as well so don't blame the tv show for shit in the book .

Bold = exactly the minute I lost any respect I had for him.

At first I liked his reviews, because I thought they were amusing and it was fun watching a non-book reader's reaction, but I won't watch any of his reviews anymore.

He explained in a facebook post that this is not his views on real life victims only fictional characters like Sansa . But people try to make a big deal out of everything because he hurt your feelings on the subject, so whatever . Anyways it's more fun to watch his reviews than the ones of butthurt book fanboys .

I find Larry's reviews very entertaining. It's interesting to see the reactions people have to certain events in the series, I never got to enjoy them in their full glory because I knew everything that was going to happen in the first four books before I even started reading the first one.

As for his opinions, I hardly agree with any of them. I think it's illogical to be a utilitarian for one moment, saying that Sansa should sacrifice herself in order to kill Joffrey, and then turn the other way and get pissed at Stannis for assassinating Renly and saving many soldiers who would otherwise have fallen in battle. What I don't get is why do people see the rant in his latest review as something bad, at the beginning of the video it says rather clearly that the first eight minutes of the review are a Sansa rant. If you don't like it, you could just as easily have skipped it.

Archived