[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Larry's reviews at OtakuAssemble.

Arkash

Actually managed to get myself through his review this time. But he gets stuck on the most bizarre details. Why would Robb have cannons? And can anyone miss the Hound's fear for fire in this episode? He makes good points about Stannis, though I think he just didn't get a reprieve from the enemy from the moment he got up the wall to look around. It still had to be done, someone had to draw off the archers on the wall so the ramp could be brought in. Same with Tyrion, yeah, you're screwed when their reinforcements show up, but if they hadn't done that and the gate had breached, they'd be done. And it's only Tywin that needed to get to King's Landing from Harrenhal, the Tyrell host could have been close enough already. Who says the didn't kill a few horses on the way. They do that intentionaly a lot in this series.

His whole bit about what defines a battle kept me laughing, because I kept remembering Hot Pies description from earlier this season. Larry Williams, the RL version of Hot Pie.

I also found it bizarre he didn't connect the tavern scene with Bronn and the Hound with their later interaction on the battlefield - first the were antagonistic, but when the battle started they became united by a common enemy. Beautifully set-up, but he didn't get it. Same thing with Davos and Matthos - that was there to help us know them better, and therefore create a greater impact when one died and the other got flung into the water.

His whole bit about what defines a battle kept me laughing, because I kept remembering Hot Pies description from earlier this season. Larry Williams, the RL version of Hot Pie.

I actually smiled. It's like a kid explaining something they think is complicated but everyone else gets.

Does anyone else hate his intro?

It's seeming more and more clear to me every week that Larry is merely a gauge for how the everyday simpleton perceives the show. At first I thought he'd be a good go-to guy to see how well HBO is translating the books into a coherent television series, but now I'm starting to realize he's the go-to guy to see how the average Joe flounders and fumbles trying to make sense of something that's not all that complex nor confusing.

I also found it bizarre he didn't connect the tavern scene with Bronn and the Hound with their later interaction on the battlefield - first the were antagonistic, but when the battle started they became united by a common enemy. Beautifully set-up, but he didn't get it. Same thing with Davos and Matthos - that was there to help us know them better, and therefore create a greater impact when one died and the other got flung into the water.

In the Podcast of Ice and Fire episode he was in Larry said that he picked up that the scene on the battle was connected to their earlier interaction but that he thought the interaction would result in something more directly impactful with regards to the overall plot of the episode.

I love how he wondered wether they use cannons in Westeros. He seemed like he was giving it a serious thought :lmao:

Otherwise his reviews are fun, they actually are the first I get to after watching an episode.

Yeah, same for me: first him for fun.

Then I head to the TwoP forum to read the first Unsullied reactions.

And then comes the big part: here! =D

Since first season Larry has gotten offered a few reviews for Killerfilm.com. (he has put up some decent reviews) And since the beginning of GoT season 2 reviews he has said that he has been trying to bring a more "professional" tone to his GoT reviews.

I feel like this is where he has failed in a big way. At least for me; it was the raw enthusiasm and emotion for the story. I found I was able to vicariously relive those moments in the books that made me love ASoIaF and what sets the book series completely apart.

Since Larry's focus change. I find I don't get the vicarious joy/curiosity/heartbreak I once did from him. I really don't want to sit and watch 20 minutes of 40 ways I'm bored and this episode sucked. If that's what I wanted there are thousands of reviewers/recaps I can go to.

It's not about disagreeing with what he is saying or not hearing what I want to hear. Hell I've been on these boards for a few years and love it here. I'm open to disagreement and differing view points. It's here that I started to see Cat and Sansa differently.

His angry outburst and rants. His seeming unwillingness to actually think and talk about the actual episode. the declarations of "stupid moves" or "I don't get it" when in the actual episode and the ones previously have set it up and explained it. It's apparent. Yet it's like he isn't even watching for the story.

It's almost like he is phoning it in but letting us know he's pissed about it.

So I think I'm about done with Larry. His stock has seriously plummeted in my book.

In regards Sandor and his fear of fire. Referencing Otaku Assemble YouTube and Podcast of Ice and Fire. (this is not a direct quote from him. But my input on how I heard his explanation)

Larry explained that he didn't get in ep 9 the hounds pyrophobia. That it was ridiculous. That if the hound maybe started to sweat and wipe the sweat away. That might have let him know the hounds fear and reasons for leaving.

To me this is proof he isn't actually watching in any other way but a superficial viewing.

Apart from mentions of Sandor's back ground in season1. In that episode. There was at least 3 Verbal references to the fire issue made by Sandor himself. That apart from the obvious reactions he had to the fire before him. The only thing he didn't do was to look at the camera and say "By the way..Huge Fear of Fire."

And cutting a sweat and wiping the sweat away would have sold it above all that for Larry. C'mon dude. SMH

To miss it is one thing. There was a lot going on in that ep. But to declare it a stupid reason once you found out about the fear.

Yeah It's been fun but I'm out.

Ah well at least season 1 reviews are still up on his channel. The were often packed with awesome.

I, too, am out. He said on his facebook that he treats these reviews as a way to pay the bills and that he's not reviewing for fun anymore. You can tell he's not enjoying it. It seems like the fan reactions to his reviews after the Sansa debacle have turned him off of the series. I can understand why, but as a professional reviewer you have to pay attention. The unsullied TWoP folks seem to understand the show better, and can actually read the psychological states of the characters in a nuanced way.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3204374&st=3885

I read everything the Unsullied post, always fascinating !

They are the show equivalent of us book readers.

Those guys really watch, take notes during episodes, rewind, rewatch, anayse, theorize... I recommend everybody to go check them !

Yeah honestly, I have to say the only reason I started watching his reviews was to see how he reacted to things like the whole Ned thing. He's just...stopped that. He comes out and splits things up in a way that I don't really care to hear. I don't need a recap, I don't need someone to provide context for me, I'm sorry but I follow the story. I just like watching the reactions of people as they follow the story, a sort of vicarious pleasure if you will. Honestly I wish he would do what he did for his NEd video, where he got footage soon after the episode ended it seemed.

Archived