[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Larry's reviews at OtakuAssemble.

Arkash

Oh I also have to add Comicbookgirl19 as part of my repertoire. She's awesome.

Yes! I just subbed her (Like a month ago). She is a bit of fun to watch and has decent knowledge on the subject of aSoIaF and it's history.

I ended up liking this review. His old passion was shining through a bit. the first minute I thought it was going to be a complaints one. But stuck with it and cracked up at his comment about Jaime and Ned.

I'm glad he's starting to like the series a bit more again. Though the whole "choices theme" he was going for was reaching a bit though, I'd rather he just gave his thoughts on the episode.

I can't really understand what is that draws people tyo the reviews of this guy?

Even when he says something I agree with , he still manages to be rude, foul-mouthed and vulgar. he has very little insight in the show and he expects everything to develope according some primitive book-writing guide patterns.

Not to mention that his habit of sticking his his fingers into his hair and then putting that finger into his mouth is simply disgusting.

its his meltdown when Ned died..

We're all in anticipation of what happens when future characters die.

That meltdown was what brought him to the attention of most people. It was kinda funny but I felt it was staged and artificial, attention-seeking job. And yes I understand that his rant at that very moment did reflect the feelings of many non-book readers - and thereforee was somehow appealing.

But that was it - there was nothing before and after that particular review that deserves attention in my opinion.

I can't really understand what is that draws people tyo the reviews of this guy?

Even when he says something I agree with , he still manages to be rude, foul-mouthed and vulgar. he has very little insight in the show and he expects everything to develope according some primitive book-writing guide patterns.

Not to mention that his habit of sticking his his fingers into his hair and then putting that finger into his mouth is simply disgusting.

Goodness knows I have my issues with Larry's reviews. Particularly the ones since season 2.

But Razha there are things you wrote here that are stretching it a bit.

With respect you have every right to your opinion. And you definitely have a right to question his popularity and refuse to watch.

I get it.

Yes he does swear. But on occasion. It's hardly a common feature of his videos.

And yes he does sometimes scratch his head. But he has never ever - not even once - put it in his mouth.

I've already gone into what I don't like about Larry's reviews.

But I haven't really said why I continue to watch them.. Apart from a habit I seem to have built after season 1 of GoT

He is a pretty good gauge on how the non book reader is taking in the show and connecting the dots that the TV series provides. It is surprising the times that he hits the nail on the head. it affirms that the show is doing a pretty good job at keeping true to the heart of the story.

As I have a deep love and respect for the books. It helps me to feel calm and happy with the show.

I also enjoy the level of passion Larry can put across when he enjoys or is upset with the developments of the story. He conveys it better than a lot of reviewers. (And I definitely watch more than his reviews).

He has a certain amount of confidence and charisma that makes him entertaining and compelling. Sometimes it can amount to misguided cockiness.

That makes his opinions grate a little.

I respect that at the end of the day right or wrong his isn't afraid to speak his mind and show his feeling and own that. He puts himself out there. In the face of a hard core diehard fandom and gives his honest opinion.

But yes his "writing 101". and the 'this is how it is suppose to work' commentary is probably my biggest beef with the guy. Otherwise he a pretty good guy that seems to be on the ball.

I dont know how many of you follow Larry, but I really enjoy his reviews after each episode!

He gives us really great inside thoughts of how a non-book reader perceive the story and has a genuine passion and commitment to the show!

I do not agree with him at all on his Sansa's hatred, but on the rest, I really enjoy his reviews...

Here's a link to the one he did for "Garden of Bones" (last episode to date):

Wow, I saw his reviews of season 3 episodes yesterday and thought about posting it because "he gives us really great inside thoughts of how a non-book reader perceive the story and has a genuine passion and commitment to the show." Sorry to borrow your phrase but that was the reason I liked his reviews as well.

Couldn't tell he hated Sansa but I noticed he despises Jaime.

One thing that disappointed me was his views about Stannis. He thinks his story will inevitably ends up in tragedy and sees no light in the end of the tunnel for him. I don't blame him at all because that's the impression HBO is giving us with their writing. Stephen Dillane does a great work but they are writing Stannis as a pawn for Melisandre which is such a misread. Of course with all the talk about Stannis going to betray everyone he holds dear causes this impression. In the books, we got a roller-coaster of impressions about Stannis. It's highly likely that he will end badly but so is every other character.

Same. I love his energy as well as his observations. I didn't agree with his thoughts on Sansa. I'm not really a Sansa supporter at this stage of the game. But When Margery asked her what she was praying for. Sansa wouldn't tell her. Even when Margery kept pressing her. That in itself says Sansa isn't blindly trusting anymore. That's just how my thoughts differed from Larry's review. But other wise I was bummed it only lasted 28 minutes. Damn his camera and it's constantly cutting out.

I watch it too, it's so funny because he's a 'noob' of GoT and says so many funny things and ideas xD

I loved the episode where Ned died and he almost cried on camera and he was so freaking angry ahah

I REALLY want to see his reactions to the RW

I loved the episode where Ned died and he almost cried on camera and he was so freaking angry ahah

I REALLY want to see his reactions to the RW

He's already been spoiled on that, unfortunately. That's why he's disabled the comments on his reviews.

I don't think Larry is entirely wrong on Sansa in terms of her character evolution. Even in the books it lags...I know I definitely had similar thoughts reading the books.

Although I will say on TV, it's harder to convey most of the emotions Sansa has regarding everything because all of it is so internalized in the books.

That meltdown was what brought him to the attention of most people. It was kinda funny but I felt it was staged and artificial, attention-seeking job. And yes I understand that his rant at that very moment did reflect the feelings of many non-book readers - and thereforee was somehow appealing.

But that was it - there was nothing before and after that particular review that deserves attention in my opinion.

He was already pretty well known before that. At any rate his views afterwards are about what they were before that. I had heard of him first bc he was on Podcast of Ice and Fire earlier in the season and people had started listening to him then. That said, he has changed his style since the first season where he was more reactive and fresh. Now he's trying to structure it in a way that doesn't work really well for him. I still watch and enjoy it for what it's worth. I still like seeing the reactions of newbies, but he seems to almost be muting that factor in favor of searching for themes.

I found another set of reviewers that I'm adding to my weekly list. I should probably start a thread on general Youtube reviewers. Anyways, they're called 'Shooting the Shit' and they definitely deserve more viewers.

Archived