[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

no major nitpicks because this episode was probably the best this season. a few little things though -

I was kind of hoping it would show more of the sea-battle. It showed Tyrion's perspective from the land nicely but it completely left out Davos' half. And the sense of doom in his chapters with the ships catching on fire and crashing into each other was just unforgettable. So I'm kind of pissed about that.

Also really dumb nitpick but I always really wanted them to finish the Red Wedding with a fade to black and then playing the Rains of Castamere during the credits. I don't really think it fit with the Battle of Blackwater? Like I get that it's a Lannister victory, but they just made it, and were pretty much convinced they were going to die. that's not what the song's about. For gods sake, they played the song during the Red Wedding.

Lastly, the ending just felt sort of awkward. I would have rather the door have burst open to Loras (or even Tywin I guess) and Cersei dropping the bottle and that being the end of it.

My only nitpick would have been if Shae was able to break into her story that Cersei requested, but thankfully she was cut off. When she started, "When I was 13..." I groaned and just about punched the couch hehe. But it didn't happen, so nitpick retracted.

not having lancel, the hound and stannis wear helmets, but that makes sense so we know who they are

Stannis DEFINITELY would have been 1st up the ladder. he is that macho!

Cersei and Sansa-outstanding

Shae-cant wait for her to die

Varys awesome as always!

Easily the best episode in the season so far. Maybe Martin, like us, did not like D & D's treatment of the Hound and Cersei.

He made Cersei a bitch with little to no redeeming qualities, and when the Hound called Sansa little bird, I finally felt like he was the book character on screen, not some glorified background character.

The most minor nitpick I can think of is Shae is too likeable. Other than that, awesome, amazing episode.

My only nitpick would be the scene on the Blackwater. The way it played out with the literal creeping doom as the wildfyre spread to the ships and then as everything got crushed up against the chain was one of my favorite scenes in the series. While the explosion was cool, it just didn't do the scene justice.

WHo says he survived? Although I will be most displeased just for the Manderly negotiations.

I'm fairly certain he will survive, or else who will set Edric Storm free, and be forgiven for it? Who will be able to convince Stannis to head North? Who will go to get Rickon from Skagos?

I don't believe anyone is capable of doing all that except Davos, remember that he is the only voice that speaks truthfully and without abandon to Stannis except Melisandre, since everyone else just repeats her words to him like a parrot. Seeing as it's pretty certain that he will be coming back, I think it would have been better to have him fall when the boat sank/got ripped asunder.

I mean, Matthos was blown away by the explosion and it will later be revealed that he died from that. But from what we saw it looked like Davos suffered a blow equal or even worse than his son did, and we expect him to survive? Not entirely far-fetched, admittedly, but a tad bit hard to believe.

I haven't really posted -- been lurking each week -- but just had to say this was a great episode! Loved the wildfire.

But.. I want to nitpick about Lena Headly. Way too much Cersei tonight. The way she talks drives me nuts. And I hate her character so much; I hate her more than Joffrey, so it was nerve wracking to have to watch her talk so much.

But overall, what a great episode. And I'm glad Tyrion didn't lose his nose. It's TV -- I don't want to look at a man without a nose!!! Voldemort was enough.

Overall it was a great ep, I really wish Georgie could write every one.

Little things:

Lena really over did the drunk acting, I found her to be more comical than anything else.

The Sandor and Sansa scene was a bit weak.

I was sad to see the chain go, but I get it.

The Hound didn't make Sansa sing for him.

But I guess that's minor.

Yeah, I thought about that, and figured, maybe it would have looked silly on the screen. I dunno. I liked how Sansa clutched the doll Ned gave her last season. <3

Oh, and Stannis should wear a helmet.

This! LOL. He charges headfirst without adequate protection. Sheesh, Stannis, learn how to wage a war. ;)

Also really dumb nitpick but I always really wanted them to finish the Red Wedding with a fade to black and then playing the Rains of Castamere during the credits. I don't really think it fit with the Battle of Blackwater? Like I get that it's a Lannister victory, but they just made it, and were pretty much convinced they were going to die. that's not what the song's about. For gods sake, they played the song during the Red Wedding.

Well they have to introduce the song at some point. I thought it was fitting.

My own nitpicks, though they are few and pretty much all very minor:

- It should be Garlan in the armour, not Loras! (Spoiler alert: I'm kidding, I really don't care)

- A real nitpick: I didn't quite get the point of the pissing contest between the Hound and Bronn. What was that scene for? I get that Bronn saved Sandor's ass after and sorta proved Bronn's point to him, but other than that? Felt a bit awkward.

- I was hoping the Hound to be a bit more brutal towards Sansa (song or no song). He was too... gentle, haha.

- Lancel takes an arrow wound and so he runs to report to the queen? Eh, looked kinda weird, but I guess they preferred to use a familiar face for that. Not sure if that wound would incapacitate Lancel that badly later on.

- Speaking of that, Tyrion got to keep his nose. Okay, I understand that (though I'll miss the "handless and noseless, the Lannister boys!" line :D). But the scar should have been a wee bit more impressive, IMO.

- Really tiny nitpick: I wish Stannis wore a helmet. And that the Hound wore his hound helmet.

OMG! So many changes from the novels!! Completely ruined!!

Bronn did NOT have a face off with the Hound in the books.

Stannis did not personally charge the wall.

No freakin' chain? NO FREAKIN' WAY!

Cersei did not have a convo with Pycelle.

Tommen was not supposed to be on the throne with Cersei. He was supposed to be hidden away an another fort!

Cersei and Sansa were supposed to be at a feast! Not just in some little room! GRR!!!

I agree with some of the nitpicks above, especially about the scale of the battle. I appreciate the budget constraints, but it would have been nice to have just a few more wide-shots of everything.

But most of all, my nitpick, as to be expected, is Hound-related....

No blood-stained white cloak left in Sansa's room! :bawl:

Unless, of course, she somehow still has the one he gave her earlier in the season, but considering he wore it again afterward (or another one?), I highly doubt it. :crying:

I'm not sure how I feel about Tyrion's facial wound. I don't think chopping his nose off would be good for a TV series, since it's hard for audiences to like an ugly character, and Dinklage looks MUCH better than Tyrion should, as is. But a light scratch on both cheeks? That might not even SCAR, which is a problem, methinks.

Oh, and I wish Pod would have had speaking lines. They seem to have given a bunch of his nervousness to Lancel. I enjoy him stumbling over what to call people, and I'm afraid we'll miss out on him calling Brienne "Ser" a few seasons down the road.

Archived