[Book Spoilers] Until the RIVERS Run Dry?

Vhailorian

So what was this change in Mirri Maz Duur's prophesy about? The original line was "when the seas go dry" and those of us who have completed ADwD are fairly sure what this line is referring to...so why the change?

1. Intentional change by D&D: Dany rather famously shifts the emphasis and focus of MMD's prophetic words from Drogo's return to her own fertility...could this be an intentional design by the writers of the show to make Dany misremember the "prophesy?" This seems unlikely to me as the way GRRM handled this was excellent and incredibly meaningful...but I suppose this would not be the first time D&D fumbled sensitive material. (IMHO)

2. Was this simply an outright mistake?: Perhaps this is one of those things that "just slipped through" like the hound being both left and right handed in the season 2 opener. If so this fumble is in Earnest Byner territory. (Yes...I am a Browns fan) For those who don't follow football or are younger than me I am saying this is very bad...

3. Has the prophesy essentially been cut?:Two seasons into the show a vast majority of the prophesy and subtlety from the books has been shed in favor of a more soap opera like adaptation...perhaps D&D have decided the MMD prophesy doesn't matter to the show.

4. Perhaps MMD's words are just a red herring by GRRM and he has confirmed it to D&D. If this is true it would be the most masterful red herring I have ever seen...so much of it is now beginning to make sense.

5. ??? I am sure you all have a ton more to add to this...hopefully you will. :)

I'm guessing it's a slip. It was correct in the finale last season.

But the finale of last season ended BEFORE ADwD came out, only after ADwD came out we started speculating that it means the dry Dothraki sea. Maybe they wanted to show that the prophecy doesn't mean the Dothraki sea but actual water?

Or it could be just a slip.

I noticed it, too, but really there's no telling. It might have just been lazy writing, but I hope that's not the case. I just put it into the misstated text along with Lord Karstark referencing the Father.

It struck me as the sort of thing where an actor/actress slightly altered a line to improve the dialogue flow and the director/editor decided to keep it because they liked the take. I think the same thing may be true for the Karstark reference as well. In the end I think I am chalking this up to sloppiness...gods know there has been enough sloppiness to go around in this show in both pre and post production. Despite this somewhat nitpicky thread, I actually do really enjoy the show...Unfortunately I find myself having to build a higher and thicker wall between the show and the books to keep my enthusiasm level as high as it is. It probably doesn't help that I have done a book series reread before each of the first two seasons. :)

I think it was just a matter of flow for the dialogue.

Can someone explain to me how "When the Seas run dry" refers to Dany getting her period in the Dothraki sea??

That part doesn't...the speculation is that "When the seas go dry" refers to the browning (drying) of the grass in the Dothraki Sea. The "period" you are talking about is speculated to actually be a miscarriage...which would cover "When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child."

Count me in as someone who never thought Mirri Maz Durr's words were prophetic, but rather just a curse she threw at Dany. Remember, she answers that when Dany asks when Drogo will return to her "as he was before". So she uses a bunch of metaphors that mean "never".

There's no evidence that Dany's womb will "bear a living child". Heavy bleeding might mean a miscarriage... which is still not a living child. The prophecy, if it's really one, hasn't come true.

Count me in as someone who never thought Mirri Maz Durr's words were prophetic, but rather just a curse she threw at Dany. Remember, she answers that when Dany asks when Drogo will return to her "as he was before". So she uses a bunch of metaphors that mean "never".

There's no evidence that Dany's womb will "bear a living child". Heavy bleeding might mean a miscarriage... which is still not a living child. The prophecy, if it's really one, hasn't come true.

I tend to agree with you on this except for the whole sun sets in the east part of her saying. I feel like its generally accepted that The Martell kids death in Essos is the sun setting in the east... so idk

Yeah this is how I have always took it as well. It wasn't until I read the forums that I thought it could be something else.

But if it was just MMD saying never, then whats the big significance behind Dany bleeding in her last chapter in aDwD? Does it mean anything? Because while I don't view it as a prophecy, I do acknowledge the Dothraki sea going dry and Quentyn death as more than coincidental.

And wasn't Dany surprised at her bleeding? Making it seem like she has been missing her period this whole time.

I'm not sure that I disagree with you...although as the speculation runs nothing else about the "prophesy" that has been "fulfilled" has been in the literal sense. so I don't necessarily think "living child" equates to "viable fetus." I read that section...even as a skeptic... to mean when you CAN bear a living child.

I agree that this was MMD's cutting way of saying Drogo will return to you as before when these other impossible things happen. By stating "When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child," clearly MMD was saying to Dany that for her to bear a living child was equally impossible...a statement that becomes less impossible if Dany is proven capable of conception. I would also note that as this "prophesy" has not played out in a literal sense that there is no reason to believe that Drogo will return as he was before in a literal sense.

I am not sure what I actually believe about MMD and her "prophecy." I guess it's fair to say I am skeptical but leaning towards the words being meaningful. Whatever the truth turns out to be it has been compelling and I love debating it with my friends...and now all of you. (Hopefully my new friends here) :)

I tend to agree with you on this except for the whole sun sets in the east part of her saying. I feel like its generally accepted that The Martell kids death in Essos is the sun setting in the east... so idk

And why can't that just be a bunch of nerds reading too much into things? What about mountains blowing in the winds like leaves?

Archived