Dorne (Shooting Locations)

Scottish Natural Water

I have been to Rhodes and the castle is a unique combination of western and eastern architecture.

Anyway I wouldn't go as far as to say that Dorne has to have egyptian architecture, Meeree perhaps but Dorne? No.

I've never been to Rhodes and I'm far from an expert in architecture, but judging by the photos of the Grans Master's Palace you posted, I don't identify noticeable distinct features between this setting and the already stablished King's Landing. In fact, the original look of Malta strikes me as more eastern like than Rhodes.

Being in the eastern coast of Dorne and in close proximity to the Free Cities, I would expect a more Eastern look. That's at least what the artist that I've seen so far have imagined when depicting Dorne:

Ted Nasmith

Martina Pilcerova

I've never been to Rhodes and I'm far from an expert in architecture, but judging by the photos of the Grans Master's Palace you posted, I don't identify noticeable distinct features between this setting and the already stablished King's Landing. In fact, the original look of Malta strikes me as more eastern like than Rhodes.

Being in the eastern coast of Dorne and in close proximity to the Free Cities, I would expect a more Eastern look. That's at least what the artist that I've seen so far have imagined when depicting Dorne:

Ted Nasmith

Martina Pilcerova

Well unfortunately I couldn't find more photos of Rhodes, but the island has a combinationof eastern and western architecture because, well it is located between east and west and has been conquered by the crusaders, byzantines, turks, francs and so on. Each culture left its imprint in the island's archotecture and that is evident. Surprisingly sun is an important aspect of the island's culture just like sun is important to the dornishmen. Malta and Croatia were mostly influenced by west, especially Croatia. While Malta is a lot like Rhodes, Rhodes has known more invaders from the east.There are many elements of ottoman architecture still evident and since Dorne has known numerous influences as well and since eastern mediterranean has clearly been the inspiration behind Dorne I would see it fit for the shooting to take place in that area.

FWIW I always pictured Dorne (and the Dornish) as Spain/Morocco/Tunisia; so see Morocco as the obvious shooting location.

I absolutely agree on Sunspear being Carthage.

For it's introduction, I'd go with S3 talking about Dorne and the Dornish, but not showing (aside from Oberyn). S4 will actually take us there, and show us the characters we've heard about

Archived