Jon Snow the 3headed dragon and mythology.

I was reading a post from Apple Martini (Jon Snow at the Crossroads of Resurrection Mythology) and then I had an idea. In many mythologies around the world one deity has 3 separate *faces*. One deity can be three other deities at the same time. So I had the idea: How about Jon being the three headed dragon with different hypostasis?

Like:

Jon Targaryen, Jon Stark, Jon Snow

Jon the wolf, Jon the Dragon, Jon the crow

Jon the King in the North, Jon the Targ king, Jon LC of NW

Jon the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon the Prince that was Promised, Jon the Azor Ahai Reborn

What do you think?

Agree. Agree. Nicely put.

"...the shape of shadows...morrows not yet made...drink from the cup of ice...drink from the cup of fire...mother of dragons...child of three.. Three? She did not understand. " IMO - Jon is the 'child of three' - Rheagar, Lyanna and Ned.

that could work.

"...the shape of shadows...morrows not yet made...drink from the cup of ice...drink from the cup of fire...mother of dragons...child of three.. Three? She did not understand. " IMO - Jon is the 'child of three' - Rheagar, Lyanna and Ned.

That's interesting...wonder if you could read it as sort of admonitions directed at different people, like, "Drink from the cup of ice mother of dragons," and "Drink from the cup of fire child of three." Dany to embrace the whole kingdom and let go of her Stark hatred and Jon to embrace his dragon side? I'm reaching, I know.

That's interesting...wonder if you could read it as sort of admonitions directed at different people, like, "Drink from the cup of ice mother of dragons," and "Drink from the cup of fire child of three." Dany to embrace the whole kingdom and let go of her Stark hatred and Jon to embrace his dragon side? I'm reaching, I know.

I am sorry but what it has to do with OP?

Whether or not it actually ends up being Jon, that's actually pretty much how I interpret the "three heads" thing. I think it's one person with three heads, not three different people. I think there's too much connection drawn between the prophecy and the Targaryen sigil and the Conquest, when, from what I can tell, the only commonality there is what people conclude for themselves and not necessarily anything confirmed in the text. This is very possibly a prophecy that long predates the Targaryen conquest and the three-headed dragon sigil — drawing conclusions about what the prophecy means by using a historical event that postdates it strikes me as putting the cart before the horse.

And as usual, I can't help but wonder if GRRM is leaving the separate hanging bits of the three-headed dragon prophecy and the Targaryen sigil, intending people to see a connection that might in actuality not even be there.

I think this is GRRM's attempt at a double entendre, I've always leaned towards the "three heads" referring to multiple people a la The Holy Trinity, Faith of the Seven, Many Faced God, Quaithe's child of three prophecy, etc.. just like the title A Song of Ice and Fire referring to Rhaegar + Layanna = J as well as Jon and Danaerys' similar yet separate stories of rising to prominence(throne?) after being disposed (Which coincidentally happens worlds apart with Jon at the Wall - Ice, Dany in the Dessert/Tropical climate of Slaver's Bay - Fire, and Bran/BloodRaven's greenseer's ability to bridge the gap until later books.) AA, PTWP, and LH being the same person with different cultures viewing him/her in different ways is just as possible but humor me.

I also think Jon, Dany and Bran and they will eventually turn out to be PTWP, AA and LH respectively. Each will have/has some weapon or asset that can be interpreted as a form of Lightbringer(Jon - Nights Watch/Long Claw, Dany - Dragons/??, Bran - Greenseer ability/Warged Hodor with sword from the crypts?).

Another reason I lean towards this interpretation is each character can be thought of as having three phases, Jon Snow, Jon Stark(Robb's will), Jon Targaryen(possible evidence in Lyanna Tomb, it is mentioned in the series that generally only the Lord Stark had a statue made in his likness for the crypts, Ned has statues made of both Brandon and Lyanna as well as Lord Rickard, interesting...)

Danaerys 'Stormborn' Targaryen, Khalessi(wife of Khal Drogo), Mother of Dragons(Khal/Khalessi, queen in her own right and eventual queen of Westeros).

Bran Stark, Bran the Broken(after his fall but prior to his opening his third eye), Bran the Winged Wolf(post weirwood seed paste, BloodRaven/Children of the Forest greenseer training)

I know it has holes and I'm kinda going out on a limb here but I'm just sharing my thoughts. I think the AA aspect of the trinity is almost certainly Dany and the PTWP will be Jon. I was previously on the fence on who's going to be the third head but a recent read through of A Storm of Swords settled it, I now think Bran will be the Last Hero.

In old Nan's story the last hero is described as seeking out the Children of the Forest and journeying to the Dead Lands(Lands Beyond the Wall?).

"Yet here and there in the fastness of the woods, the children still lived in their wooden cities and hollow hills, and the faces in the trees kept watch. So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead landswith a sword, a horse, a dog(Direwolf?) and a dozen companions. For years he searches until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds"

The final nail in the coffin was the Bran chapter where Jojen explains to him the powers of the most powerful Greenseers and why they must seek out three eyed crow;

"Jojen gave a solemn nod. “I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth by chains of stone, and came to Winterfell to free him. The chains are off you now, yet still you do not fly.”

“Then you teach me.” Bran still feared the three-eyed crow who haunted his dreams sometimes, pecking endlessly at the skin between his eyes and telling him to fly. “You’re a greenseer.”

“No,” said Jojen, “only a boy who dreams. The greenseers were more than that. They were wargs as well, as you are, and the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast that flies or swims or crawls, and could look through the eyes of the weirwoods as well, and see the truth that lies beneath the world.

“The gods give many gifts, Bran. My sister is a hunter. It is given to her to run swiftly, and stand so still she seems to vanish. She has sharp ears, keen eyes, a steady hand with net and spear. She can breathe mud and fly through trees. I could not do these things, no more than you could. To me the gods gave the green dreams, and to you . . . you could be more than me, Bran. You are the winged wolf, and there is no saying how far and high you might fly . . . if you had someone to teach you. How can I help you master a gift I do not understand? We remember the First Men in the Neck, and the children of the forest who were their friends . . . but so much is forgotten, and so much we never knew.”

And I gotta point out the any in the statement "the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast" is italicized in the book so it's safe to assume GRRM is deliberately drawing our attention to that fact. I think this is strong foreshadowing of Bran warging one of Dany's dragons; this would also allow Dany and Jon to have a pure romantic relationship thus resolving the Stark + Targaryen/Lyanna + Rhaegar story arc(Bran is probably going to be confined to his Weirwood Chair/Throne beyond the wall like BloodRaven and he's paralyzed so any marriage to Dany would be symbolical and un-consumated. He can't walk anyway and can warg Hodor if needed so I don't see GRRM passing up such a perfect opportunity to wrap it up so cleanly. Bran isn't even needed to continue the Stark line, Rickon will carry on as the Lord Stark and warden of the north, Sansa learning from Little Finger will rule the vale directly or indirectly and I can't help but think that even as a badass faceless assassin Arya will, somehow repeat the Lyanna-Robertr-Rheagar love triangle in the form of Arya-Gendry-???? (possibly Aegon or Edric Dayne, though not necessarily a Targaryen though)

So thats about it in a nut shell, I'll add anything I come across later. This is my first real post so forgive if I mixed things, missed something or this is a repost of similar thoughts.

I'm still in the Ghost - Jon - Viserion camp. :P

I like that Viserion is creamy (white), while Ghost is white as well and Jon wears black. Much better to have 2 paler 'pets' than one white, one black or green. :P

I also like that he's got the gold horns and spine. White for the Targ and gold for the last King of the Targs. He fits him.

Not to mention that had Jon been a girl he'd possibly been named Visenya, the male form of that is Viserys I've heard, so Viserion it is.

Now, when can we get him? :P (After he knows how to skinchange into him, perhaps. :lol: )

• 4 weeks later...

I think that this is an interesting point. For forumers many things (including R+L=J) may be predictible and cliches but when it comes to non forumers they are going to be a surprise

^ This.

I myself turned to the forums in frustration while waiting for the Winds of Winter to be released and was shocked by some of the theories.

Now, for my part, I read all the books alone and have no RL friends or family who read them too, so before these forums I didn't have anyone to theorize/discuss with. I've tried talking to my wife about some of my own theories, but she just gets lost and rolls her eyes at me. It's just more fun/gratifying to discuss with other readers, which leads to deeper thinking, and which causes you to catch more things on your own in addition to reading those of others.

I caught A+J=T on my own, but, interestingly, R+L=J is one I had to read online, as I took the conversations about Eddard's infidelity quite seriously. I think, however, I might have caught the R+L = J on my own had I not been reading/stalking forums already when I got to the part about Jon's milk brother in the books.

Anyway, there is "much and more" I missed before I began reading up on forums and wiki pages. We can only blame ourselves if we collectively ruined the surprises GRRM has in store for us, as R+L=J is a REALLY good story twist and not really that obvious to the majority of readers. Besides this, it might not be true, but if GRRM goes that way, I would be very happy even if I do see it coming.

There is something fun about seeing through the surprises. I like to figure out a mystery before the end of the novel only to learn I was right! If J+A=T, then I will be ecstatic for having caught that one on my own. Even seeing it coming, I'd prefer that result to having erred in my speculations, lol.

• 4 months later...

I was thinking about starting a new thread about this but then I decided that it could fit here:

I haven’t mentioned it at the OP, so I think that Jon is the one who embodied all the Messianic prophesies. (I believe it because as I said earlier today or yersterday it depends on the timeline)

I also believe that the person who will fulfill his/her purpose has to have balance. Only fire is an extremity just like only ice is the extremity, their song however is the balance.

So I think that we should determine which the Messianic prophecies are. My opinion is that those theories are: The Last Hero, Azor Ahai Reborn and the 3Headed Dragon. The person who embodies all of those prophecies is the Song of Ice and Fire.

What do you think?

I haven’t mentioned it at the OP, so I think that Jon is the one who embodied all the Messianic prophesies. (I believe it because as I said earlier today or yersterday it depends on the timeline)

So I think that we should determine which the Messianic prophecies are. My opinion is that those theories are: The Last Hero, Azor Ahai Reborn and the 3Headed Dragon. The person who embodies all of those prophecies is the Song of Ice and Fire.

What do you think?

I strongly believe , that Jon is son of Rhaegar and Lyanna ( according to famous theory with all hints and etc.), though i think that it would be kinda too much for Jon , to embodie all prophesies , just IMO. I think that the ,, Last Hero '' is Bran .

Archived