Would any of the POVs commit suicide?

Now, we know Martin isn't shy to write shocking and violent stuff. But suicide is one thing we don't see too much in ASoIaF.

We also know that Martin gets us inside the head of the characters. A character comitting suicide would be a challenge to any writer. I'd be surprised if Martin haven't considered it.

Theon thinks about it, but never really does it.

So... Do you think Martin will ever write a suicide chapter?

Yes, it certainly would be a challenge. Theon considers it, Sansa for a brief moments, we had Cat's devastating pain, and Bran's depression. But, will we see it, I am not sure.

The only way I could see it would be if it were a sacrifice to save someone else, but I doubt that's the kind of suicide you're referring to, so I would have to go with no unless something drastic happens down the road.

*shudder* with GRRM's writing abilities, Any POV suicide would be really depressing to read,,,especially if it were Arya, who I think is the most likely, next to maybe Jaime, if he gets away from LS finding out that Brienne betrayed him. But that's a big maybe, because Jaime honestly doesn't seem like the suicidal type to me...yet at the same time, he kind of does...hmmm... :dunno: .

Nah, he was pretty damn depressed in AFFC, but I don't see him killing himself unless shit really hits the fan in his personal life (If Jaime learns of the Others, I think he will fight to the damn end.)

The FM see death as a gift but it doesn't mean that they see it as one to themselves. Jaqen didn't want to kill himself.

Arya seems to think that suicide is stupid:

"He is a man of the Night’s Watch, she thought, as he sang about some stupid lady throwing herself off some stupid tower because her stupid prince was dead. The lady should go kill the ones who killed her prince. And the singer should be on the Wall."

She's more likely to be killed or freeze to death.

The only way I could see it would be if it were a sacrifice to save someone else, but I doubt that's the kind of suicide you're referring to, so I would have to go with no unless something drastic happens down the road.

Yes, I was thinking about a depression related suicide, not a heroic one. Beric kind of kills himself to save Cat, so that already happened.

Archived