Baby Names of Ice and Fire

RhaenyraTargaryen

A lot of parents are naming there children after characters from are beloved books. Names like Daenerys, Theon and Pate are popping up all over the world.

What do you think about this?

I think it's great! There are some beautiful names in the books, and what great way to introduce some classical literature to the coming generations. "Listen son, you were names after the greatest king Westeros has ever seen. If you like I could read about him for you." Perfect!

Also, would you name your child after a character, or have you perhaps already?

What great name would you bless your child with?

I't could be pretty cool with a little Daenerys running around the the house, and a Jorah! How sweet!

Theon?

Really? I mean... He may even redeem himself and everything, but who knows?

And a lot of people name their children dumb stuff like "khaleesi". What if Dany turns out to be a crazy villain?

You should at least wait until the series is over.

I'd never do it. I would never force my love of the series on my child and have it hanging over them for the rest of their lives. They may love the name, of course, but they may also hate it. Kids have a desire to fit in and an unusual name will lead to teasing.

For pets it's great though.

Edit: unless of course it's Jon or Robert. Even Arya would be OK I guess but Daenerys is just asking for trouble, unless you always called them "Dany".

I think Theon is a frickin awesome name, but I wouldn't name a kid after him, since he's kind of infamous.

I'll also take this opportunity to say that I think the Greyjoys/Ironborn have pretty cool names in general: Theon, Aeron, Victarion, Dagon, Harlon, Alannys, Asha...

Jaime, Jaqen and Brienne are also good names.

I like the idea that people are naming their children after characters of the books. Here's why:

*Using the same names defeats the purpose of naming people; the entire point is of naming someone is the ability to make a distinction between people. Unfortunately people tend to use the same names over and over so eventually we created last names. Which doesn't help much since people keep on recycling the same first names.

*Names are often used to discriminate or have a prejudice against a group of people; I've known colleagues who took on "white sounding names" because they couldn't sell shit over the phone while using their real names. Not to mention how I hate when people looks at someone's name and goes, "oh, he's a jew"etc.

*Diversity; we could use a lot more diversity and I think it would help strike down some rather annoying conventions.

*People named after characters of the bible are no different; many names are the English version of some character from the bible. Why not name people after fictional characters? Especially those people who aren't Christians, why name your children something taken from The Bible when there's a fictional book you love you can gather inspiration from?

I don't think naming someone Khaleesi is stupid. It sounds beautiful and exotic. Just like there's nothing wrong with naming a child Theon. You may hate the character but his name is beautiful. It's time we learn to be less judgemental and I think naming children something truly original would be liberating.

*People named after characters of the bible are no different; many names are the English version of some character from the bible. Why not name people after fictional characters? Especially those people who aren't Christians, why name your children something taken from The Bible when there's a fictional book you love you can gather inspiration from?

Yeah I mean when you get right down to it biblical names are no different from any other folklore names.

Archived