Which direwolf is the most powerful?

hollowcrown

1. Greywind - Robb's wolf was huge and terrifying but ultimate Greywind was killed and destroyed :( Greywind seemed a powerful and cunning beast but ultimate was cornered and destroyed, much like Robb

2. Lady - Lady never realised her potential being killed far too early to see any combat.

3. Shaggy dog - Rickon's wolf reflects his wild personality and I'd probably put him on par with Summer in terms of power although Shaggy dog seems to have more ferocity.

4. Summer - Summer is a pretty powerful direwolf probably equal in strength to Shaggy dog however less fierce and probably a kinder soul.

5. Ghost - Ghost seems on the same level as Grey Wind - acting independently but often has to get chained up by Jon - still probably a pretty powerful beast.

6. Nymeria - This wolf is just bloody terrifying. She sounds like the most powerful and wild of the lot and command a huge pack of wolves across the Riverlands. Nymeria has got to be the most formidable direwolf right now.

I'd rate them... Nymeria > Summer/Shaggy dog > Grey Wind / Ghost > Lady.

Summer was the first to kill, subdues Shaggydog on a regular basis as well as other wolves along the way. He has also attacked a band of wildlings solo to save Jon. Jon describes his attack as something out of a horror movie.

On the other hand Shaggy hasn't killed anybody. Summer is the most calm of the wolves, but probably the most dangerous, along with Nymeria.

From the books we know Summer is more powerful than Shaggydog. (That may change as Rickon grows since the direwolfs tend to be similar to their masters). Bran let´s Summer dominate Shaggydog for the safety of the group after the fall of WF.

Ghost is probably the most dangerous I´d guess. We´ll never know how Nymeria compared to Greywind, but the Nymeria is pretty badass, her pack is reminiscent of the great wolfpacks that terrorized France in the 100 years war.

From the books we know Summer is more powerful than Shaggydog. (That may change as Rickon grows since the direwolfs tend to be similar to their masters). Bran let´s Summer dominate Shaggydog for the safety of the group after the fall of WF.

Ghost is probably the most dangerous I´d guess. We´ll never know how Nymeria compared to Greywind, but the Nymeria is pretty badass, her pack is reminiscent of the great wolfpacks that terrorized France in the 100 years war.

Great wolf packs that terrorized France? I think I found what I will be googling this afternoon..

Pretty cruel to list Lady at the end of the line here. Poor little Lady. Would've been so sweet to see such a nice and calm animal just ripping the shit out of Cersei, or a KG, if she had lived to be by Sansa's side in KL.

Most powerful though? I guess I have a male bias - I see Ghost as the most leader like, the most mysterious, and the closest to their true source of power, the old gods and the wierwoods. Summer is the smartest, the brains and the planner. Shaggydog is the brute, the stud, the guy you send out in single combat. Nymeria, on the other hand, is the queen bee. Leader of her own pack that she formed herself, alpha female, and at this point, will not be taking shit from anyone.

Reminds me a little of Ned's generation - Ghost would be Benjen, the one who wanders alone on his lonely path, out in the cold with the wild wierwoods, more than meets the eye. Ned is Summer, thinking of others, knows how to stay in control, stay out of trouble, or find it if you need to. Brandon was the wild wolf, Shaggydog. Lyanna was Nymeria, wild as well but on her own, making her own terrifying allies and enemies.

I would rate Ghost as most powerful, we know he is growing faster than the others, so he is most likely the biggest and most fierce.

We know that Jojen tells that Summer is very very strong so i think Summer takes number 2.

Then Greywind, Shaggy, Nymeria it would be my guess.

I always thought the power of the direwolf was amped up by their human counterpart. Bran is the most powerful warg-wise, but Jon's power is still untapped as of yet. Robb was doing great until he began to distance himself from Grey Wind, but Arya and Rickon are too impetuous, meaning that their direwolves depend on brute strength to dominate, rather than cunning.

So I go with a toss-up between Summer and Ghost, followed by Shaggydog and Nymeria.

Ghost because he is a silent killer, a ferocious beast yet faithfully belonging to Jon.

Summer and Bran have become almost one so I think Ghost and Summer are one and two.

Nymeria, if you remember, would not put the gloves in the suitcase for Arya so it cannot be her :-)
Shaggydog would be only a guess.

Greywind is now dead.
Lady is dead.

At this point its hard to say. The only ones we have regular interaction with are Summer and Ghost, and between the 2 I'd say Summer was the more aggressive. Greywind was awesome. Obviously. And Lady was, as the OP states, cut down before she could display her true character.

Shaggydog is obviously untamed and who knows what affect being on Skagos will have on him. As for Nymeria its all just hearsay about some giant wolf so until she reappears its hard to rate her against her brothers.

So at the moment I'd go Summer- Ghost- Nymeria- Greywind- Lady.

You can't really say who is the most powerful direwolf. You can only designate their attributes they all were and are powerful. Grey Wind was fast and fearless, Nymeria is dominant and death personified, Summer is protective and just as deadly as the others, Shaggydog is just savage and ferocious, Ghost is smart, cunning, and lethal, and well Lady we just didn't see enough of, but I'm sure she would have been a calm killer too. All of them are awesome.

Grey Wind was fast and fearless, Nymeria is dominant and death personified, Summer is protective and just as deadly as the others, Shaggydog is just savage and ferocious, Ghost is smart, cunning, and lethal, and well Lady we just didn't see enough of, but I'm sure she would have been a calm killer too.

Exactly like their owners.

Well in wolves males are generally larger and thus more powerful, so I'd put the males at the top, Ghost is probably the best in combat, and can be very stealthy, however his silence may reduce the intimidation factor, Summer also has the advantage of having the strongest connection, Grey Wind's been in lots of battles, and Nymeria leads her own pack.

So usefulness to owner:

1. Grey Wind, amazing in battle, helped Robb bypass the Golden Tooth.

2. Summer, saves Bran's life, Bran can consciously warg into him.

3. Ghost.

4. Shaggydog, kind of nuts, like Rickon, ferocity may well get him killed, plus I can't see Rickon making the best use of him.

5. Nymeria, very powerful, but also lost, Arya has yet to consciously (and on paper) realise that she still has a connection with Nymeria.

6. Lady, she died.

Strength in battle

1. Grey Wind.

2. Ghost

3. Summer

4. Shaggydog

5. Nymeria (without pack, if she could use her pack she'd be 1. easily)

6. Lady, she's dead.

There is no speculation required.

Ghost is stated to be the biggest.

Summer is more powerful than Shaggydog.

Summer also calls Nymeria "little sister" signifying that she is smaller and less powerful than him.

And Lady is confirmed as the smallest of the pack.

So we have Ghost confirmed as number 1. Lady as number 6.

Summer above Shaggy, though they are very close as we see in their battle.

After Shaggy comes the smaller Nymeria.

Greywind probably comes in just above Summer, but below the larger Ghost.

So:

1. Ghost

2. Greywind

3. Summer

4. Shaggydog

5. Nymeria

6. Lord Stout's arthritic old hound

7. Lady

Just as a sort of slightly related aside, despite constant misrepresentations wolves don't actually live in strictly hierarchical packs. In the wild, wolf packs tend to be more familial arrangements with a patriarch and matriarch occupying leadership roles and a fairly asymmetrical relationship between siblings. This changes somewhat in captivity but the traditional idea of the alpha male dominating the pack is actually an invention of Nazi science and philosophy.

Archived