Which direwolf is the most powerful?

hollowcrown

Nymeria is potentially the most powerful one, in that she's the only leader amongst the pups. She forms, then leads her own pack. Arya is atm a lone wolf, but I wonder if her direwolf's path is hinting that Arya will end up leading the Stark pack.

She was the only one that had a real opportunity to form a wolfpack when she was released into the wild. The others were generally in captivity or tagging along with their Stark. I'm fairly confident any of them could have managed to lead a wolfpack just due to their sheer size relative to regular wolves and the fact physical dominance is such a large factor in deciding who the pack leader is. I don't think it's especially meaningful.

As has already been stated Summer is currently Varamyr's pack leader which I find hilarious.

While it is my opinion that the Direwolves grow along with their humans, it is not my opinion that the Direwolves grow without food. Jon remarks that Summer grew larger, but got leaner while he was on the other side of the wall returning to Jon without eating much food. No normal animal would grow without food.

Ghost was the smallest when born, but was already the largest when they split up, either I am right and the wolves grow with their humans, or Ghost is simply the largest, there is no other answer.

While it is my opinion that the Direwolves grow along with their humans, it is not my opinion that the Direwolves grow without food. Jon remarks that Summer grew larger, but got leaner while he was on the other side of the wall returning to Jon without eating much food. No normal animal would grow without food.

Ghost was the smallest when born, but was already the largest when they split up, either I am right and the wolves grow with their humans, or Ghost is simply the largest, there is no other answer.

Very confusing.

Ghost has been malnourished the longest, so you think he's largest?

We only get one size comparison when they're still growing in Winterfell. Humans and dogs among the same breeds often grow at varying rates. The biggest/tallest at one age is not necessarily the biggest when full grown.

Only the show called Ghost a runt when they were pups.

1. Ghost

2. Grey-Wind

3. Nymeria

4. Summer

5. Shaggy

6. Lady

Until that starts to bare fruit, number five for him. Ghost is a silent red-eyed murder beast. Grey-Wind ripped the throats out of horses and killed men in mail. Nymeria only feeds on human flesh if I recall. Summer is currently keeping Shaggy in check. Lady was described as "Trusting" which I don't associate with murder ability.

If Direwolves become fiercer based on the ferocity of their warg then Shaggy could potentially top this list, with Nymeeria following. Of course once Jon recovers from his surprise-acupuncture I imagine Ghost rockets right to the top of the list again.

The opinion I have always held is that the Direwolves grow along with their masters. We were told over and over that Greywind was massive, and I believe that has more to do with Robb having grown into a man, in otherwords he was fully developed as a person and thus Greywind was fully developed as a Direwolf.

When the kids split up with Jon going to the wall and Ned going to KL Ghost was the biggest, this is because as we are told bastards have to grow up quickly, and Jon was leaving his home whereas Robb was staying at home with his mother.

Lady was the smallest because Sansa was the least developed. Her character arc has her as a spoiled idiot and now she is growing into a cunning woman, but we don't get to see Lady grow with her.

I really like this idea!

In GoT, Arya 1, when Arya leaves the sewing circle to watch the boys practice swords, she and Nymeria encounter Jon and Ghost at the window.

Nymeria stalked closer on wary feet. Ghost, already larger than his litter mates, smelled her, gave her ear a careful nip, and settled back down." Later, in the same chapter: "He messed up her hair again and walked away from her, Ghost moving silently beside him. Nymeria started to follow too, then stopped and came back when she saw that Arya was not coming."

It looks like at this stage, Ghost has already taken on the demeaner of Jon in interacting with Nymeria in a similar way to Jon's interactions with Arya. It also shows that Nymeria has an instinct is to follow Ghost/Jon, but loyalty/love to Arya overrides the instinct.

When you ask "Which Direwolf is most powerful," to me it's the one that commands the respect of the others. Clearly by this interaction, Ghost has Nymeria's respect.

Clearly by this interaction, Ghost has Nymeria's respect.

But that was when they were young. Nymeria didn't lead a giant wolf pack yet and hadn't potentially grown up to be bigger than Ghost.

However wolf packs usually have an alpha couple, female and male, so maybe Ghost and Nymeria would be that.

Summer takes over a pack beyond the wall. The pack was comprised of Varamyr's wolves including Varamyr himself in the body of his wolf One eye. So while Nymeria may lead a substantially bigger pack she isn't the only leader amongst them.

Whoops, thank you for the correction. In that case, there's no way to know. Each wolf appears under different circumstances, so comparisons are difficult. You would need to see them fighting one another to figure it out.

Grey Wind has been in battle, but does Grey Wind's prowess have much to do with the wolf, or more to do with the underlying Warg-ness and mirroring Robb?

I'd have to say Ghost is the top dog. Nymeria would probably be my second pick.

I would say overall Ghost would be the most powerful.

1) Ghost- has lasted alone on the other side of the wall, he has hunted for his own food and has faced the cold winter. Also as Jon said he has white fur and blood eyes like a Heart Tree he belongs to the old Gods.

2) Greywind- he has seen battle and has torn man in full armor.

3)Nymeria- she has hunted on her own and has formed this pack of regular wolves around her.

4) Summer- has been beyond the war and has seen some fighting.

5)Shaggy Dog- wild but not something you would want to coming at you in the dark

6) Lady-sorry but Lady was more of a large dog then anything else, maybe if she hadn't been killed so soon she wouldn't be at the bottom.

My instinct is that Ghost is the alpha, followed by Summer and Shaggy. Nymeria is the alpha female, I'm not sure if we have to rank her together with the males. Greywind must have been around (slightly above or below) Summer, I think.

Because we don't see them interact in the recent books, there is no way to tell who would become the alpha once they meet again.

I just want to point out that there is something Ghost does, which is not shown with either Summer or Nym, that he knows exactly what the rest of the pack is doing. This somehow screams "alpha" to me, as he is keepning tabs on his pack, while the rest of them does not seem to be that aware of their packmates.

My instinct is that Ghost is the alpha, followed by Summer and Shaggy. Nymeria is the alpha female, I'm not sure if we have to rank her together with the males. Greywind must have been around (slightly above or below) Summer, I think.

Because we don't see them interact in the recent books, there is no way to tell who would become the alpha once they meet again.

I just want to point out that there is something Ghost does, which is not shown with either Summer or Nym, that he knows exactly what the rest of the pack is doing. This somehow screams "alpha" to me, as he is keepning tabs on his pack, while the rest of them does not seem to be that aware of their packmates.

I like the idea about Ghost's "alpha" senses. I could see it as a couple of things: (1) Ghost being at/beyond the Wall; or (2) the direwolves simply reflect the mindset of their Stark/Snow/Targ. I'm more inclined to think it's the latter.

When we see through Summer's eyes, the narrative centers solely around the autonomy (run, see, smell, taste) because Bran is a cripple, and that's what means the most to him.

Nymeria, on the other hand, we mainly see as being a ferocious pack leader, constantly on the prowl for a fresh kill - this is much like Arya, especially when she was traveling with Hot Pie and Gendry, she was unquestionably the leader despite being a small, young girl.

Grey Wind, fast & fierce, (although, sadly, we don't get to be Grey Wind) like Robb, who was a brave and cunning commander, and quick to throw away his vows for some fine behind. Lady was, at the time of her death, mostly worthless, just like Sansa at that point in time.

Shaggy and Rickon we see as wild, not much else.

Lastly, Ghost is Jon - Lord Commander, "bastard", etc. and loves his half-siblings (dare I say more than they love him? Except for Arya.) and he definitely comes off (at least to me) as being the most Ned-like, paternal, honorable.

As I said previously, I'd take Ghost then Nymeria.

Archived