[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

The show is still going strong imo, and I expect it to continue doing so. There are going to be some significant changes this year, and the fact that a lot of fan favourites died or won't be making an appearance won't make things easier - but I have faith in the show runners. As for the story, I think us book readers are going to be in for some surprises; it looks like D&D have made some of their most significant changes yet this season, and more likely than not they are going to dip into the unpublished storyline, seeing as they know how the story continues (and ends).

After that whole White Walkers scene last season I briefly contemplated not watching the show anymore so as not to get spoiled for the books, but now I'm like 'fuck that, I wanna know!' :p

I've got a really good feeling about this season. I think focusing on the best parts of Feast and Dance and trimming a lot of the fat is going to work in the show's favour.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing the High Sparrow and the faith wreak havoc on King's Landing, I think it's just something that's really going to resonate with audiences.

Having Jaime go to Dorne and experiencing the new setting through the eyes of a character the audience is already invested in is also a master stroke on the writer's part.

I have been thinking about the series and cannot shake the feeling that this is now on the way down or so, at least in comparison to last season. Last season almost every episode had big storylines and plots to cover for example - Purple wedding, Jon and Yrigttes courtship, Tyrions trial, battle at the wall showcasing mammoths and giants, Vipers battle, only cat, Stannis's smash and Tywins death to name a few.

I don't think you have a need to worry. This season, we'll have Cersei vs. Marge in King's Landing, Jaime vs. the Snakes in Dorne, Dany vs. the Sons of the Harpy in Meereen, and, above all, Theon in Winterfell and the wonderful combo of Stannis, Melisandre, Jon, Davos, Tormund, Mance, Sam and Maester Aemon in one place.

Not to mention Arya learning stabbing in Braavos and Sansa having some apparently interesting moments in the Vale.

Oh, and Tyrion with Varys (always a joy) and Tyrion with Jorah (go buddy road movie, part whichever-that-is-in-this-series).

It's gonna be fine.

Next season, Dany will finally start moving to Westeros, Brienne and Jaime will probably move into the Riverlands, and some final housecleaning and / or destruction will be done before the Season 7 grand finale. But that's for a different thread.

I have been thinking about the series and cannot shake the feeling that this is now on the way down or so, at least in comparison to last season. Last season almost every episode had big storylines and plots to cover for example - Purple wedding, Jon and Yrigttes courtship, Tyrions trial, battle at the wall showcasing mammoths and giants, Vipers battle, only cat, Stannis's smash and Tywins death to name a few.

The issues I can see with future seasons :-

1. The actors (Charles Dance, Rose and Pedro etc.) will undoubtedly leave big shoes to fill. Not so in the books but on TV.

2. Having caught upto the books or being thereabouts the show has to fly solo. Hard to see the quality remaining the same since coming up with plots within only a couple of months a year is going to compare to countless reviews and rewrites by GRRM for each book taking around 4-7 years.

3. While there are still some great storylines left almost half of them have been resolved or not as interesting from a TV prospective. Can't see where they go from here. Arya seems to have stuff to do for this season but not sure what story remains for "TV" for following seasons.

4. Bran is likely not to appear for a season and half which leaves more holes. Don't really think there is much interesting to Dany on TV this season except a scene or two at the climax.

Yes.

The show has done a poor job of inventing their own plot lines, which they will be doing more and more of, this coming season looks like it could be as much as a 50/50 mix to me.

The new characters who replace the old characters like Tywin, Ned, Robb, Drogo are not as compelling, I suspect the show will do well with the TV versions of Doran and the HS in terms of acting, but maybe not plot.

My guess is it will coast along for some part of this season with a flat viewership and you will gradually begin to see a decline.

Do people really think that D&D are just flat out making stuff up as they go along. They consult GRRM a lot, and they know the character arcs of tWoW and aDoS. They know things we don't, so I think we should just trust their judgement.

Do people really think that D&D are just flat out making stuff up as they go along. They consult GRRM a lot, and they know the character arcs of tWoW and aDoS. They know things we don't, so I think we should just trust their judgement.

We know for a fact they have made stuff up as they went along. We know that "Talisa" was made up, that Bran was never captured at Craster's keep, that Brienne and the Hound never fought over Arya, that Jojen didn't get killed by the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts, that Jamie and Bronn never trained in KL.

We know for a fact they have made stuff up as they went along. We know that "Talisa" was made up, that Bran was never captured at Craster's keep, that Brienne and the Hound never fought over Arya, that Jojen didn't get killed by the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts, that Jamie and Bronn never trained in KL.

Yes but none of that stuff was major. Besides Talisa, who is way more interesting than Jeyne, none of that stuff is important in the long run. Yeah Jojen died, but don't most of you suspect GRRM had him grinded up into soup anyway?

The show is getting more and more popular, and only see it growing. As whether its peaked I dont think so. As we have heard and seen to a certain degree that D&D will deviate a little from the AFFC and ADWD material and trying to 'spice' it up, with a little more action. Plus if we look how strong the ADWD/AFFC ending material plus perhaps some slight WOW material coming towards the end of the season we could potentially get the strongest ending to a GoT season ever. So just because the show has caught up to the books doesnt mean anything about the quality of the show, as people love it and are really invested in it, and these lots of people will come back again each season as they want to know the end

Yes but none of that stuff was major. Besides Talisa, who is way more interesting than Jeyne, none of that stuff is important in the long run. Yeah Jojen died, but don't most of you suspect GRRM had him grinded up into soup anyway?

I didn't say it was major, only that the plot lines they invent from scratch are much weaker than the ones that are tweaked or adapted from the books. I personally hated everything about "Talisa" from her back story to the actress and the dialogue they gave her, but thats an opinion.

So, I don't expect that they are going to change the major major elements of the story in terms of the main characters or the ending, but that doesn't mean that the coming seasons are not going to become more clumsy as the show relies more and more on D&D for plotting.

No, Jojen isn't soup but it's obvious that yes, he was always going to die one way or the other.

Peaked or not, my interest is greater than ever, and it will only grow in next two seasons.

I just want the ending already, even an horrendously bastardized version of it. Patience has never been a virtue of mine.

And because I'm evil, I can't wait for the outrage and uncertainty regarding the unmapped part of story, heheh. :devil:

I do feel that D&D have done a good job with the actor selection with only a few exceptions. I don't really care about changes as I want the show to be different 'cos it keeps it fresh as a viewer. Having said that though the depiction of children of the forest was one area I felt could have been done better - not quite sure how but I hope they do explore that since its something that can/could be a lot better on TV than in the books. I wouldn't mind if they created their own story for the COTF (little less fire balls of course).

Also is it just me or I pictured Tormund as Brian Blessed. The TV actor isn't quite the humorous, jovial (with resonating thunderous voice) and feel as the character.

The books have peaked. So far the show has not shown signs of peaking.

How so? I think George has some great stuff in store for us in TWOW and ADOS, even if AFFC and ADWD were underwhelming compared to the previous three books (IMO at least).

As for the show peaking, IDK. It all depends on how good the next few seasons are I guess. If there's a significant dip in quality, than yeah it will have peaked in Seasons 3 and 4 I guess. But if it stays good, than it would be considered going from strength to strength. And despite my opinion of the last two books, there still some great stuff to adapt, my personal favorites being Mance infiltrating Winterfell with his spearwives (pleasedon'tbecutpleasedon'tbecut) and Jon becoming Lord Commander and his subsequent assassination.

How so? I think George has some great stuff in store for us in TWOW and ADOS, even if AFFC and ADWD were underwhelming compared to the previous three books (IMO at least).

As for the show peaking, IDK. It all depends on how good the next few seasons are I guess. If there's a significant dip in quality, than yeah it will have peaked in Seasons 3 and 4 I guess. But if it stays good, than it would be considered going from strength to strength. And despite my opinion of the last two books, there still some great stuff to adapt, my personal favorites being Mance infiltrating Winterfell with his spearwives (pleasedon'tbecutpleasedon'tbecut) and Jon becoming Lord Commander and his subsequent assassination.

Can't really judge based on what we haven't read/seen.

The books peaked in ASOS. We can't determine what TWOW or ADOS will be like at this point...but the peak of the book series is ASOS.

The show is behind the books, so we can only judge based on seasons 1-4. And based on season 4, it seems that the story hasn't 'fallen' yet. Of course, it may very well do so next season, but we can't tell.

• 2 weeks later...

It won`t bother me if the show diverges more from the books; What divergence they`ve done so far have usually been improvements.

What worries me is the stretching of the budget to cover more and more characters and settings. Now, in season 5, they`re going to have Dorne to cover, too!

Don`t get me wrong; I love the show to death, but, visually, it lags pretty far behind other shows in the same genre (The Tudors, Marco Polo, Rome, The Borgias). Also, even the best T.V. shows don`t have the budget to pull off really good, movie quality battle sequences like movies. As much as I hate to admit it, the battle of the Blackwater looked pretty crappy. Even the battle at the Wall looked like shit compared to even mediocre movie battle scenes. Stannis`s cavalry charge looked like a laggy Medieval 2 Total War.

The budget strain is really apparent in the characters` wardrobes. Everyone in the Red Keep looks pretty drab compared to their social equivalents in The Tudors. You barely ever saw Henry VIII in the same outfit twice, but Robert Baratheon was usually wearing the same thing the whole time. I`m pretty sure Anne Bolyn`s nightgowns were fancier looking that Sansa Stark`s wedding dress.

And the problem is only getting worse. Look at how awesome most of the armor looked in the first season, and compare it to how the Unsullied look. They have thin leather vests, and their shield look like woks with the handles wrenched off.

Is there another show called game of thrones? I have the feeling, we are watching different things...

On a more serious note, the blackwater was alright for a tv-show. It was a big boom and I liked it. The only complain I had was the missing chain...

I dunno.

I hated Tulisa, the characterisation was so incredibly lame. I don't have any great love of Jeyne Westerling or that story line and I don't have a problem with D&D changing things (I thought killing Pyp and Gren was a good choice.. kind of) I just don't like blatant Mary Sueism. Admittedly it's hard to be objective but my unsullied husband also thought she was a lame character.

The reason I think that is relevant is because this is the biggest departure they made from the books. The rest of the differences are omittances or merging stories. Tulisa was an original character with an original arc and it stank.

So if GRRM has just bullet pointed the story and they have to build it I don't have as much faith as others that they can do that well.

I hope they are better than that in future.

Archived