[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

• 1 month later...

Now having watched the first 2 episodes I cant say I feel better for it. They will need to lift drastically for this not to qualify as a downhill.

Except the wall almost everything felt like a let down. Dorne, Cercei have been big time disappointments..

I think the show is going from strength to strength. Series 4 was amazing. I have high hopes for series 5 and do not think for a second that I will be disappointed.

The last two books were fillers for the big stories to come. I think the show is going to skip a lot of that filling and jump in full steam ahead.

GRRM over complicates his stories with a lot of storylines that never go anywhere, or if they do, they weren't worth writing. I like the fact that the books weave these intricate storylines, but a lot of it is just author indulgence. GRRM really needs to up the anti in the this next book, and I think with all that had happened, we are in for some action.

Has anyone changed their opinion after watching S4 E2?

I believe it was far and away the worst episode in 4.2 seasons.

GOT is still a good show, but this season seems primed to disappoint book readers and show watchers alike.

The Purple Wedding? Really? That's what you're basing the show's downfall on?

Or do you mean 5.2, the one that just aired? Because no- I haven't changed my mind...in fact, that episode was rather interesting and sets up a lot of possibilities for the rest of the season. I saw nothing to make it "the worst episode"...in fact, I liked it better than the season premiere. I'm rather excited to see what happens next week, since I'm genuinely unsure of how the story will go- which is nice, since this is really the first season where I HAVEN'T known what's coming.

Or do you mean 5.2, the one that just aired? Because no- I haven't changed my mind...in fact, that episode was rather interesting and sets up a lot of possibilities for the rest of the season. I saw nothing to make it "the worst episode"...in fact, I liked it better than the season premiere. I'm rather excited to see what happens next week, since I'm genuinely unsure of how the story will go- which is nice, since this is really the first season where I HAVEN'T known what's coming.

Oh dear. This was the worst episode in 4.2 seasons: 4 complete seasons plus 2/10ths of another = 4.2

Oh dear. This was the worst episode in 4.2 seasons: 4 complete seasons plus 2/10ths of another = 4.2

You wrote S4 E2. Now, are you saying that "The Lion and the Rose" is the worst episode or not? Or did you mean this past episode?

I didn't misunderstand what you said- I asked for clarification, since you offered no detail to back up you argument. If you meant last season, then say why. If you meant this season, say why.

I liked S05E02. It's a good building block episode for big things to come. S04E02 was an exception to the general rule with the purple wedding. I don't think we should expect huge plotlines like Joffrey dying every second episode.

I like where this season is heading, but really hope they make more of it than book 5.

I think this season will be very strong, the first couple of episodes are setting up for what is potentially the biggest ending of a season yet, possibly better than the S4 ending. Just thinking about events like Hardhome, Daznak, The Ides, Varys' murders, The Walk of Shame, Margaerys arrest, Stannis' marsh etc. E5-10 will be crazy.

Sure it doesn't have a 4.02 moment yet but S4 was freakishly good, it's unfair to compare with the latter part of ASOS tbh. Compared to S1-2-3 it's certainly been up there with the best starts of a season.

I just don't see what other people see. I thought the first two episodes were really inferior, the pacing was rushed for almost everything, and a lot of things characters are doing are extremely illogical in the show world. The two episodes also, despite the rushing around, dragged, there wasn't much moment building or tension building for anything much either.

This feels like the weakest season to me so far.

I just don't see what other people see. I thought the first two episodes were really inferior, the pacing was rushed for almost everything, and a lot of things characters are doing are extremely illogical in the show world. The two episodes also, despite the rushing around, dragged, there wasn't much moment building or tension building for anything much either.

This feels like the weakest season to me so far.

Agreed.

Example: The cunning Littlefinger waltzes into an inn with Kingslayer Sansa, both clearly recognizable. Then, they make matters worse by trying to kill Brienne for? Because.

How much less sense could this make? The answer is none. None less sense.

Agreed.

Example: The cunning Littlefinger waltzes into an inn with Kingslayer Sansa, both clearly recognizable. Then, they make matters worse by trying to kill Brienne for? Because.

How much less sense could this make? The answer is none. None less sense.

No they really aren't. The only people who would know who they are is people that have met them previously, much like nobody know who the hell Catelyn was when she stopped in the inn in season 1 until Tyrion showed up. And I hate to say it but cunning Littlefinger having Alayne be his host in the Vale in the books interacting with knights and other high borns is af ar greater risk of her being recognized than a brief stop in a tavern.

Agreed with of this.

I don't think so. The books didn't get momentum for me until after the first...100-200 pages of ASOS, and its been building since. Given they're streamlining from here out and have gotten past AGOT/ACOK/first bits of ASOS and the fat from AFFC, I think the show's in good shape. Kit, at least, has been improving. Emilia kinda bounces all over the place for me. We'll have to see how Dinklage is once he gets his bearings again.

The loss of Dance is pretty heavy, but now we've got room for Dillane and McElhatton (sp?) to flex their acting muscles...both of their characters being more interesting than Tywin, in my opinion.

No they really aren't. The only people who would know who they are is people that have met them previously, much like nobody know who the hell Catelyn was when she stopped in the inn in season 1 until Tyrion showed up. And I hate to say it but cunning Littlefinger having Alayne be his host in the Vale in the books interacting with knights and other high borns is af ar greater risk of her being recognized than a brief stop in a tavern.

Littlefinger showing Sansa to people who have never seen her in their lives is a risk? And going from the Vale to Winterfell with like 10 guards in a time of war and a reward for Sansa's captor (also adressing Sansa as Sansa) is a lesser risk? I am sorry, but if you truly believe that you are completely lacking common sense.

OT: The show will only continue to peak in terms of popularity. That's just how it is. Still doesn't change the fact that this is already the worst season so far and that it will probably only go downhill from here. In terms of quality atleast.

Archived