Critic's reaction to S5E6

Then you would be an absolute fool to watch another episode.

lol? ok. personal attacks aren't really necessary. watching another episode wouldn't necessarily make me a fool.

lol? ok. personal attacks aren't really necessary. watching another episode wouldn't necessarily make me a fool.

Not an attack. I was supporting you in your almost total hatred of the show. I actually don't hate it at all and will continue happily watching, but I thought you were looking for encouragement following your rant. I would think anybody who hated something would be concerned about looking foolish by continuing to suffer. That would masochism.

Not an attack. I was supporting you in your almost total hatred of the show. I actually don't hate it at all and will continue happily watching, but I thought you were looking for encouragement following your rant. I would think anybody who hated something would be concerned about looking foolish by continuing to suffer. That would masochism.

yeah, masochism not necessarily = fool

After reading through this thread and getting the general gist of where things are going, Here is what I think:

1. It makes more sense for Ramsay to want to marry Sansa than the other way around. From the way I see things, the Boltons need Sansa more than Sansa needs the Boltons. If she has an idea that the North would rally to her cause, it makes even less sense for her to marry the people who led to the deaths of her brother and mother. And this is an extremely bizarre move, coming from LF a person who manages to kill two people and start a war(depending on how you look at it) without even having his ass on the line. Yes his ass is still not on the line, but I thought he liked Sansa. I'm not claiming to know what the end game is, but this makes no sense whatsoever, especially from a person who is considered to be very clever and manipulative. I find it even bizarre that he didn't do his research on Ramsay. Who comes from a house that is publicly known for flaying people.

2. I'm not going to semantics but this is the 21st century, just because thats the way things happened back in the day doesn't mean it is right. I find it a little weird that some people are using this as an argument. Granted this is a work of fiction but this particular theme did exist and probably still exists. And this being a work of fiction even goes to prove that this particular part of the story could have been avoided. I didn't like it in the books and I don't like it here and yes in the books it was worse. They have changed storylines in the show, I'm not even mad about this anymore, I don't see why they can't change this and find some other way for Theon to start redeeming himself, I don't remember who said it, but I read it in one of the forums here and I agree with it.

3. Also this is random question, if this marriage was supposed to solidify the Boltons hold on the North, why is there absolutely no Northern Lord at that wedding? Who is to say the people of the North (provided they exist) would not think that Sansa was not forced into this? Because of the word of the Boltons or Myranda or Theon/Reek? If I was a Northern Lord, I would still call bullshit because I wasn't there. Especially now that I know that there is actually a living Stark in the North.

4. Finally, keeping with the theme, I don't know, critics confuse me, I didn't really see a lot of reviews not liking the thought of Sansa and Ramsay getting married, despite the fact that everyone can confirm that Ramsay is a deranged psychopath, but I'm happy to see them raise their concerns now I guess.

As a writer, there's a big difference between the writers playing God and making things all nicey-dandy for their characters, and making things realistic.

Game of Thrones is a realistic show. It portrays things accurately.

Seriously? This show is full of extremely contrived and implausible plotlines and scenes almost at a daytime soap level. Robb marrying Talisa, Shae refusing a literal fortune to hang around Tyrion, the current Dorne plotline, Sansa agreeing to marry Ramsay, etc, etc - I can go on and on and on.

You are completely missing the point. It's not that it's Sansa, it's that this doesn't make sense for Sansa's plot, nor for the whole plot. A rape scene that is needed by the plot is "fine", one that has no plot necessity, is pretty despicable. There was no need whatsoever to substitute Sansa for Jeyne - there would have been so many other ways to make Theon's plot work. They had Sansa raped for shock value. That's the problem.

I don't think they did. The show makers have used nudity, violence and rape for shock value before (to the detriment of the books) but in this case it was merging two characters from the books to streamline the show.

I've said it before but the gang rape at crasters keep was, in my opinion MUCH more offensive than what happened to Sansa/jayne.The Crasters keep was blatantly shoved in for shock value in a scene that had NOTHING to do with the books.

Sansa's scene at least happened in the books, albeit to a different character. Hell they even watered it down-the opposite to D&D's usually tendencies.

Seriously? This show is full of extremely contrived and implausible plotlines and scenes almost at a daytime soap level. Robb marrying Talisa, Shae refusing a literal fortune to hang around Tyrion, the current Dorne plotline, Sansa agreeing to marry Ramsay, etc, etc - I can go on and on and on.

I mean Talissa's character alone took "realism" out back and shot it.

Dany was bruised and wishing she was dead? Please show me the exact quotations confirming this, I absolutely do not recall it.

Even the nights brought no relief. Khal Drogo ignored her when they rode, even as he had ignored her during their wedding, and spent his evenings drinking with his warriors and bloodriders, racing his prize horses, watching women dance and men die. Dany had no place in these parts of his life. She was left to sup alone, or with Ser Jorah and her brother, and afterward to cry herself to sleep. Yet every night, some time before the dawn, Drogo would come to her tent and wake her in the dark, to ride her as relentlessly as he rode his stallion. He always took her from behind, Dothraki fashion, for which Dany was grateful; that way her lord husband could not see the tears that wet her face, and she could use her pillow to muffle her cries of pain. When he was done, he would close his eyes and begin to snore softly and Dany would lie beside him, her body bruised and sore, hurting too much for sleep. Day followed day, and night followed night, until Dany knew she could not endure a moment longer. She would kill herself rather than go on, she decided one night …

and then a sex slave proposed free sex to the all migthy Saint Tyrion

Yes there was a rape that had a lot to do with Tyrion's character development but they decided to remove that one so it didn't hurt the male character.

What I really dislike is that the rape had no purpose.

Like, okay, the Ramsay's bride in the WF arc gets raped by him. Yes, there was no way out of that. But, like, the arc in itself as presented in the Show has neiter purpose nor sense:

1. Yes, it makes sense for the Boltons to have Sansa marry Ramsay. But it does not make any sense for Sansa to marry Ramsay, neither for Sansa nor for LF. There have been lots of essays written by people more talented than me, but the gist is: Literally anything else, from marrying a random single Vale Lord to going to the Wall to Jon would have made more sense for Sansa, and LF? Really? I don't think I have to explain why everything he did this season is absolutely stupid.

2. The WF arc in itself is stupid. Jeyne (F!Arya) getting raped is not the main attraction of this arc. It's actually a side show, something that happenes and amplifies the tension. In no way it is the most important thing there. The most important things are the Northern Lords, the tension with the Freys (who, outside of Walda, don't seem to exist anymore), Frey Pies, the hooded man.... and they cut it all. They cut everything that made this arc interesting and relevant and kept the rape, because SHOCK!

And that's why I'm so angry about it. Because, well, if you cut Jamie's arc completly, completly ignore Cersei's character, cut ARIANNE (!) and try (and fail) to have a dornish arc that makes sense, than you should cut WF too, especially if you take anything out that makes it interesting and good.

Archived