Which character is the saddest?

Lili Targaryen

Yep and how many children died cuz of Ned, Robert, Robb, Stannis... rightfull crusades to ride the kingdom of evil ? When ISIS burn a village to the ground, enslave and kill people its wrong. When a drone pilot in utah burns a school or hospital to ashes its democracy. Who's right ?

Just because others characters do it doesn't make it less despicable. Ned and Robert's wars were somewhat justified (it doesn't make it much better, though) and yet they got awful ends. Robb's also justified, again it doesn't make it better, and he also got his share. Stannis is, it seems, lawful but I have yet to see someone calling him good.

So, you see, your points makes no sense. Just because someone does something bad doesn't means everybody else can do the same and it is alright. Worst yet in Theon's case is even worse, as he had no justifiable reason to do what he did other to cover his own incompetence, so you can not even pretend he is good.

And I don't see any reason to put ISIS or USA government actions here. If anything it would put more emphasis on justification of the acts. If you believe it is really that important, it makes Theon stand really worse when compared to the other examples you mentioned.

Cannibalism and pedophilia are justified in some societies. I think its abbhorent but well never tried i may be bigoted or something... You said Theon killed those boys to look badass, since his authority (if he ever had any kind of authority) was dwindling. Its a reason. And yeah its was awful and he's a bad sob, but Ramsay  did things far more despicable and he didnt received any punishment and likely he wont be punished for.

I mostly agree with previous posts. There are a lot of sad people in the AOIAF. Let's stick Ned in there too. Father, mother, brother, sister dead. Then, as an honorable man, having to live a lie for the rest of his life to protect an innocent child. Haunted and always fearful that the secret would get out and he would have to fight his best friend to save the life of said child.  

Weasel, Cat/LSH, Beric, Elia, Lysa, Maester Aemon(!!!), Daeron the Drunken for me. Maester Aemon's death was the only time I actually cried while reading the series and Beric's inability to sleep was really sad and terrifying to me (LSH is probably too far gone to care and Melisandre/Moqorro probably know some meditation to counter it).

Cersei is also very sad on an intellectual level

Stark kids, Tyrion, Jeyne Pool, Theon at least have a hope for a bittersweet ending

I agree Arya.  We've seen her go from this lively untroubled little girl, through loss after loss, always seeking her pack and losing them, to a girl who fears her own family wouldn't want her back now because of the things she's done.

Also I find The Hound a very sad character - he had the big brother from hell, the story of how his face was burned made me feel very sad for him, and even if he has done really bad things there's just something so lost and troubled about him.

Elia Martell, Joer Mormont, Jeyne Poole

Theon, Jeyne, Sansa, Arya, Kyra, Alannys, Catelyn, Ned, Tyrion, Robb... tons of smallfolk characters.... lots of sad characters in this story. The number one for me would be Theon but that's because I'm very focussed on him, I don't think there's an objective saddest.

I think the Martell's have a sad story, I can't help but feel really bad for Elia and then what happened with Oberyn, then Quentyn. Granted the latter two's deaths were their own fault, but it still made me sad, and made me feel especially bad for Doran, who seems to lose everyone he is close to whilst he remains.

Dolores Edd is by far the saddest.

Just kidding.

Jon: He has this dowcast persona that people like to associate with him being emo, but that's just simplifying his character. He's quite tragic.

Robb: The poor kid. Who didn't shed a tear with him while he wept on Bran's bed.

Tommen: He's doomed

Shireen: She's doomed

Cat, probably.  At her urging her husband leaves Winterfell, as a result, he's dead, her son is dead, her brother is a prisoner, the North and her homeland the Riverlands is in ruin, she believes that Rickon, Bran and Arya are dead and then she watches Robb and his bannermen murdered, before she, herself dies, and then is re animated to continue her grief.

Archived