Why Did LF marry sansa off to Ramsay?

The 999th Sword of Braavos

It's because most of the plot points they are doing next year lost momentum. I mean, Balon won the WOT5K. He died after Stannis. Jaime had his ridiculous storyline in Dorne. The Riverlands are even worst, because all momentum they ever had was lost when they decided to ignore it for two seasons, even though Jaime and Brienne did almost next to nothing. Jaime went to Dorne to find Myrcella, she died. Brienne was barely on this season, going "around" Moat Caitlin and killing Stannis. It just cheapened both of their storylines beyond redemption, for me. 

Not to mention some of the adaptional choices, such as Sansa in Winterfell doing nothing other than getting raped and LF acting stupid for the sake of the plot. Which brings up to the point of this thread: LF made the proposal because the plot demanded it, otherwise it makes no sense. A man as smart as him would know it's easier to wait it out, see who will win the battle. 

This is certainly a valid point though I do think this would be more of a problem with book readers than show only viewers who wouldn't know the actual order of things. As far as their adaptation choices they have made I am certainly not going to defend them as certainly Dorne and Winterfell were rife with problems. I will say though that the decision to send Jamie to Dorne and Sansa to Winterfell were good ones and could have been interesting.  They just wrote bad storylines for both.

Precisely. Additionally, they screwed the Theon story. I started reading the books when they were airing season 2 and I despised Theon and pretty much felt his fate was deserved until I read the fifth book. After that whenever I watched Theon that season I kept thinking that Alfie Allen has been given one of the best acting roles in future seasons. Apparently D&D decided that Ramsay was a much more interesting character because they wanted to focus on the shock factor rather than the amazing story that Theon is central to. (The fifth book came out after they had shot season 2 otherwise we would have been treated to another season of RamsaySue.)

They did away with Stannis by making Ramsay the greatest military mind in Westeros and now will grant all that amazing tension and strategy to Jon Snow next season because nobody is allowed to be better than their favourite characters who can never do anything wrong. (I love Jon but show!Jon is extremely annoying) And I kid you not, Ramsay's 20 good men will disappear completely next season along with his show-acquired strategy skills.

Well, remember Joffrey getting worse right before he was poisoned. Remember that statue of him and his crossbow, standing on the dead direwolf? his obnoxious behavior at the breakfast and the dwarf jousting at the wedding feast, the camera focusing on Sansa as it was done to further humiliate her etc ? Well, expect a lot more of Ramsay taunting before he dies, which makes me think Sansa may get recaptured by Ramsay. They love to rub it in and push the villans and ratchet it up until they die.

They did away with Stannis by making Ramsay the greatest military mind in Westeros and now will grant all that amazing tension and strategy to Jon Snow next season because nobody is allowed to be better than their favourite characters who can never do anything wrong. (I love Jon but show!Jon is extremely annoying) And I kid you not, Ramsay's 20 good men will disappear completely next season along with his show-acquired strategy skills.

True. Make the bad guys look good. Make the good guys look bad. Then reverse. Like that's dramatic. No, it's just absurd.

This is certainly a valid point though I do think this would be more of a problem with book readers than show only viewers who wouldn't know the actual order of things. As far as their adaptation choices they have made I am certainly not going to defend them as certainly Dorne and Winterfell were rife with problems. I will say though that the decision to send Jamie to Dorne and Sansa to Winterfell were good ones and could have been interesting.  They just wrote bad storylines for both.

I agree with you. Good decisions , poorly implemented.

i do think the point about momentum is a tricky one though. It's hard to comment on whether river lands should have been done sooner, but it appears that many storylines are converging this season around that one, so potentially it was pushed back to do it justice.

I think the main issue is that due to GOT already being a TV show with several threads, dropping the Riverlands altogether just made them irrelevant, which is a problem in general for the show!viewers due to the fact that, well, they don't care at all about the Blackfish and Edmure and the Freys; Why should they care about that storyline when it's presented in the sixth season after being dropped for years? Moreover, there's hardly important things done by Jaime and Brienne that made the change worth it. Ramsay himself could have killed Stannis, since that's the only thing she did. 

As to the decisions made, I do agree that in the hands of competent writers, they could have been good, though I love the Vale and I'd love to see it unfold as in the books, and the same with Arianne Martell in Dorne. I'd be less critical of Winterfell if Theon's arc had been adapted properly, but that wasn't the case. That storyline only adapted one moment from the books, and we both know what it was. Jaime in Dorne was never a good decision for me, but making it an adventure in an "exotic land" only made it worst. Cutting Arianne, the fleshed out character, for her three cousins and her brother, one of the most stupid decisions I've seen. 

I agree with you. Good decisions , poorly implemented.

i do think the point about momentum is a tricky one though. It's hard to comment on whether river lands should have been done sooner, but it appears that many storylines are converging this season around that one, so potentially it was pushed back to do it justice.

The issue is that well, it's been years since your common Tv!Watcher has been in the Riverlands. Following it after Robb and Cat's death seems like the most logical choice, and the one in which the emotions would make it more meaningful. Jaime and Brienne were really wasted in season 5, though, and it pains me to think they lost their respective arcs for what they did. Even if it's pushed back, it's hard to appeal in the same way, especially now that Jaime will dump Cersei post-walk. 

True. Make the bad guys look good. Make the good guys look bad. Then reverse. Like that's dramatic. No, it's just absurd.

Remember Show!Ramsay was abandoned in the Dreadfort when he was a baby. He clearly has mommy issues!

But you see if the Lords were their then it is even more hard for D&D to have Stannis to lose cause a lack of a turn would be a more glaring plot hole then "20 good men" so by keeping them out they could screw both Sansa and Stannis

Just you see how the decision to get rid of Stannis hurt the arc of Winterfell, the northern lords would add a lot in Winterfell. And about Sansa there is a detail about her "arc": she was locked in a room after the marriage, just like Jeyne Poole in the books; but Jeyne was locked because the Lords were in Winterfell and the Boltons didn't want her to talk with them and confess the farce. But, in the series, all the northern lords are in their castles, so she is locked there for no reason.

As to the decisions made, I do agree that in the hands of competent writers, they could have been good, though I love the Vale and I'd love to see it unfold as in the books, and the same with Arianne Martell in Dorne. I'd be less critical of Winterfell if Theon's arc had been adapted properly, but that wasn't the case. That storyline only adapted one moment from the books, and we both know what it was. Jaime in Dorne was never a good decision for me, but making it an adventure in an "exotic land" only made it worst. Cutting Arianne, the fleshed out character, for her three cousins and her brother, one of the most stupid decisions I've seen. 

Show!Dorne sucked so incredibly hard that we can think in two hundred better options for the adaptation. Arianne should be cast, even if they decide to cut Aegon story line, just giving to her a very different destiny. Other think they could do was putting Trystane doing the Queenmake plot and not just making out with Myrcella. 

I think the main issue is that due to GOT already being a TV show with several threads, dropping the Riverlands altogether just made them irrelevant, which is a problem in general for the show!viewers due to the fact that, well, they don't care at all about the Blackfish and Edmure and the Freys; Why should they care about that storyline when it's presented in the sixth season after being dropped for years? Moreover, there's hardly important things done by Jaime and Brienne that made the change worth it. Ramsay himself could have killed Stannis, since that's the only thing she did. 

The issue is that well, it's been years since your common Tv!Watcher has been in the Riverlands. Following it after Robb and Cat's death seems like the most logical choice, and the one in which the emotions would make it more meaningful. Jaime and Brienne were really wasted in season 5, though, and it pains me to think they lost their respective arcs for what they did. Even if it's pushed back, it's hard to appeal in the same way, especially now that Jaime will dump Cersei post-walk. 

Remember Show!Ramsay was abandoned in the Dreadfort when he was a baby. He clearly has mommy issues!

You could have done the Riverlands earlier, straight after the RW, but then the issue is what happens after the Riverlands. If you do LS and Blackfish and Edmure at that point and you get to the end of that arc early, how does that fit in with everything else. Then that pushes other storylines back etc. Its really about how it all fits together and how are they connecting the storylines next season and beyond. Its easy to say it should have been done earlier, but that might not be the case. 

Tou make a valid point about show only watchers which is my husband and my older sister. When they ask what may be happening next season and I mention the Riverlands and any character names I have to do a lot of explaining and reminding. It will be 3 seasons since we've seen these people, like the show forgot. They left Bran out for one season and show watchers are already forgetting his name. He's the boy under the tree. 

Both of them were confused as to why Petyr married Sansa to Super Ramsay and I couldn't find an acceptable answer. 

Tou make a valid point about show only watchers which is my husband and my older sister. When they ask what may be happening next season and I mention the Riverlands and any character names I have to do a lot of explaining and reminding. It will be 3 seasons since we've seen these people, like the show forgot. They left Bran out for one season and show watchers are already forgetting his name. He's the boy under the tree. 

Both of them were confused as to why Petyr married Sansa to Super Ramsay and I couldn't find an acceptable answer. 

The main 4 stars of the tv show get the most attention surrounding them, whether it is adapted well or not, their creativity included, for better or worse. Dany, Jon, Tyrion and Cersei.  ignoring the Riverlands, Iron Islands took very important aspects of ASOIAF and set them aside too long. Dorn was introduced well with Oberyn but all but destroyed it with the characters they introduced in season 5 with the exception of Doran and Hotah.

Winterfell was, just as bad.

Archived