November Reads 2015 2.0

Garett Hornwood

Oh do tell. And yeah, Baru Cormorant I thought was shit.

I think my surprise was that the data was there in the beginning. But without the context of the second and third books those clues didn't have the same impact. Anyway, remember those idols that Breq prays to? People kept mentioning that she looked like one of them -- and you learn why (and probably where Breq got her money) in a short story that Leckie wrote about the Itran Tetrarchy. Both parts of the story are online for free, here's the link to part one:  http://www.strangehorizons.com/2014/20141110/commands-f.shtml

If you pay attention to the names in that short story, it's easy to recognize which one is Breq. And then once you've got that, you'll get the context/import of both of the idols. You'll also notice a third artifact (which only makes an appearance -- twice -- in Ancillary Mercy) and realize what it is... If anyone wants more spelled out, let me know and I'll put them in a separate spoiler box. 

Hidden Content

In my perfect world the series would have a wiki full of this type a thing every bit as detailed as those I can find for ASOIAF.  If you put it together I will happily reference it regularly during a reread.

Got to the part in "Ivanhoe" where Rebecca is a prisoner at Templestowe and I have to say it really irks me. Not the situation as such, but the reasoning Rebecca employs is extremely frustrating. So, the Grand Master of the Templars have decided that she needs to burn at the stake as a witch (she's a witch, buuuuurn her) and then de Bois-Guilbert basically prostrates himself and offers her his own disgrace and dismissal from the Templars if she agrees to go to some nicer warmer place with him, possibly Palestine and become his "par amour" (this is used within the text, with that formatting, lol ). de Bois-Guilbert has a long rant about the bigoted idiocy of the Templar Grand Master etc. but then we get to Rebecca's reply, and this is basically "run away with this dude-bro or death by fire" and she chooses Death by fire!!

What is worse, she does this not because she finds Bois-Guilbert repulsive, frightening or whatever, no she does it because she thinks being a "soiled woman" is worse than death by fire. What reasonable person would ever think like that? The moralising is really irksome, especially since Rebecca has been set up as a rather shrewd person with a pretty realistic outlook. It's one thing to threaten to jump out of a window (which she did earlier) in the heat of the moment, but to deliberately go to a fiery death when there are other options?

Obviously she gets saved by Ivanhoe later, or really by the fact that de Bois-Guilbert dies of a severe case of Conflicting Emotions, but still. The more I read of Ivanhoe, the more I think she should have mounted that Norman warhorse and ridden it all the way to Palestine, where she could have upgraded it to a better version if so needed.

Hmm. That's certainly made me think twice about abandoning it.

If you can confirm that

Hidden Content

Then I'll probably go back to it straight away.

There's lots of expectation that it has happened, but it doesn't happen. That's not what the original crime was about. However, if such things upset you, all the expectation of it might upset you too.

That's how I remember it anyway!

Okay I haven't posted in this thread since I started it so here is what I finished for the month:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I have to say that some of these stories were really good but all of them in the collection paled in comparison to The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I also finished Death Vigil: Volume I by Stjepan Sejic, this was a great graphic novel and at the end you want there to be more.

I'm still reading Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson, which I'll be focusing on finishing in December.

My current primary read is American Sweepstakes by Kevin Flynn, this is the story of the beginning of the modern state-run lotteries in the U.S. which began with the New Hampshire Sweepstakes in 1964.  While the book is focused on this one event, Flynn touches other important events happening around the same time period because they all add something to the overall story.  A very good little history book so far.

Just finished reading Emperor's Blade and The Providence of Fire from the series Chronicles of the Unhewn throne. I read both books in like two weeks and a half a new record for me as I don't have much time to read and I just ate up these books. Can't wait for #3 to come out next year. Which brings me I really need to find another fantasy series to read, I've already got Martin accounted for, Lawrence, Joe, Scott Lynch, Rothfuss, Sanderson, Neal Stephenson, The Warded Man author. I'm running out of options to get my fantasy fix on

, I've already got Martin accounted for, Lawrence, Joe, Scott Lynch, Rothfuss, Sanderson, Neal Stephenson, The Warded Man author. I'm running out of options to get my fantasy fix on

I can assure you there are more than nine people writing fantasy series out there :D

I went through a reread binge lately so I stayed off the threads.  Finally starting something newish again after a month.  Picked up Wake of  Vultures by Lila Bowen because I have been digging Old West fantasy as it comes to me.  Pen name of Deliah S Dawson who is best known for an Urban Fantasy/Romance series called Blud.  That series never interested me but seems fairly well received.

I can assure you there are more than nine people writing fantasy series out there [emoji3]

I went through a reread binge lately so I stayed off the threads.  Finally starting something newish again after a month.  Picked up Wake of  Vultures by Lila Bowen because I have been digging Old West fantasy as it comes to me.  Pen name of Deliah S Dawson who is best known for an Urban Fantasy/Romance series called Blud.  That series never interested me but seems fairly well received.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just found out that I got The Dragon's Path and Grim Company on my ebook shelf. Heck, now I'm stuck between Scull and Abraham.

There's lots of expectation that it has happened, but it doesn't happen. That's not what the original crime was about. However, if such things upset you, all the expectation of it might upset you too.

That's how I remember it anyway!

Cheers, Peadar. That's reassuring enough for me to pick it back up.

Archived